J-Rocc and the short records.

2»

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    those aren't really juggles that he's doing.

That's what I was thinking. I am in no way well-versed in scratch DJ terminology, but I thought juggling was cutting up single drum hits from a break. Like, say, Jam Master Jay does with "The Big Beat" at the beginning of "Here We Go (Live At The Funhouse), before he lets the beat kick in for real.

Please to explain if I am .

• Not to detract from the dude - he's by far one of my favorite DJs and I also consider him the "DJ's DJ" but those aren't really juggles that he's doing.

i didnt want to be the jerk that said this, but thanks cos...not one "facemelting" juggle. he rocked doubles period. btw , it wouldnt make a diff to me if it was ser.ato or not. i know jay got skill and records....la shmoove for dat ass. nothing to prove.
    j rocc is my man, and is prolly may fav dj on the party tip never a let down if hes playing...applejack is the homie too.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    what yall didnt get to really experience from that long clip is that body heat edit by applejack. that joint right there destroyed things
    right before jrocc puts his first cut on, you will see me and supreme at the front of the booth tryin to find out what applejack was playin
    that was fire

and the girl that came on after jrocc messed up the whole vibe. i dont even know why she was on the lineup to play. i couldve thought of about 10 other heads in attendance who deserved to play there instead of ole girl.

I think it's there on that clip that Day posted - the one where he's doubling up the "gimmegimmegimmegimme" part? That was just insane.

• Not to detract from the dude - he's by far one of my favorite DJs and I also consider him the "DJ's DJ" but those aren't really juggles that he's doing.

i didnt want to be the jerk that said this, but thanks cos...not one "facemelting" juggle. he rocked doubles period. btw , it wouldnt make a diff to me if it was ser.ato or not. i know jay got skill and records....la shmoove for dat ass. nothing to prove.
    j rocc is my man, and is prolly may fav dj on the party tip never a let down if hes playing...applejack is the homie too.

If you wanted to get technical, the first video clip posted could not be considered a juggle. The second one, however, is juggling. Juggling is more or less a live remixing of a song by using doubles (or different records, whatever). Just because it doesn't have one of those battle-style breakdowns doesn't mean it's not a juggle.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    I'm with Amir on this. I always took "juggle" to mean breaking down the beat to its individual components (on the single beat level, not measure for measure) and re-arranging them to create a new beat. This would all just be doubling up, to me. Regardless, dude's ill.

• J-Roc is one of the illest djs for sure.

and yet i feel like he's way underrated.

I feel this about myself.

• What if he'd been using the new 7" Microwave Control Records?

are you for cereal ? microwave donuts?

• J-Roc is one of the illest djs for sure.

and yet i feel like he's way underrated.

I feel this about myself.

name a dj that doesn't .

• One thing I didn't dig was the drastic pitching down of every other record or so...

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    As Lumin said we were both right there for most of that party. Applejac took the cake that day hands down. He killed it for real. J Rocc is my man and is indeed a very skilled technical dude all day long but the set that day wasn't completely totally amazing. However, i will admit it looks and sound better on these video clips then it did that day, Big ups to all who threw down. No disrespect to shorty (ol girl) but yeah she totally fucked up the vibe when she stepped on. I will admit that J rocc would be hard to follow up after no matter who you are. Lumin, I got that edit for you that applejac dropped too! I'll bring it to the next party for you.

If you wanted to get technical, the first video clip posted could not be considered a juggle. The second one, however, is juggling. Juggling is more or less a live remixing of a song by using doubles (or different records, whatever). Just because it doesn't have one of those battle-style breakdowns doesn't mean it's not a juggle.

who told you what juggling is ? when you juggle, you change the pattern of the beat to make a new beat... ask j himself.
    not one juggle in either clip. doubles=back to back extending the beat...ahhh flash has been doing this for eons...

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    what he and fellow beat junkies members melo d and babu do for party sets is what they themselves call "trick mixing".

Incorporates elements of juggles with chase patterns but are not full out juggles.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    What I've always enjoyed about watching J-Rocc is how he's in constant motion. Half the time, I wonder if he REALLY needs to be adjusting the EQ but it's all part of his mixing rhythm and he seems to be tracking a dozen things at once in those spaces between the beats.

• what he and fellow beat junkies members melo d and babu do for party sets is what they themselves call "trick mixing".

Incorporates elements of juggles with chase patterns but are not full out juggles.

I love this shit.

J Rocc was the dude that made me want to DJ in the first place.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    dude was not given any space. everyone was crowding around him and touching his shit. it made me cringe
    he definetly killed it though. are there any clips around of the other djs that performed that day?

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    crazy you posted this cause I was just watching it earlier tonight...

What's the song he plays early in with the huge intro? ...and why have I not heard it?

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    dude was not given any space. everyone was crowding around him and touching his shit. it made me cringe
    he definetly killed it though. are there any clips around of the other djs that performed that day?

godfathermiami.imeem.com

I like how j rocc is the only dj whose whole set is posted....

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    i like how homegirl in the back starts to get down to the break and then has to play it off when jrocc changes the song.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    crazy you posted this cause I was just watching it earlier tonight...

What's the song he plays early in with the huge intro? ...and why have I not heard it?

are you not payin attention maaaaaan?

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

Yes.

Song name? If it's that applejac edit, whats the OG?

• I like how j rocc is the only dj whose whole set is posted....

It's too bad, because other dudes was killing it all day at that spot.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    The more I watch that clip, the more annoyed I get of that girl.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

Little help here dudes?

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    how exaclty did that girl mess the vibe?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Naw dude, I think he's talking about the long JB monologue J-Rocc plays offa CD...

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Naw dude, I think he's talking about the long JB monologue J-Rocc plays offa CD...

Yep, then the track kicks in later like BLAM! This is really killing me here.

HELP PLEASE.

• planlessplanless 819 Posts

HELP PLEASE.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    The more I watch that clip, the more annoyed I get of that girl.

gurl needs 2 get some skoolin on how to get down to James Brown!
    shits embarassing, with those capri camo cargo pants posaer alurt!

tha dj!

but j rocc was playin that reel shitt!
    thanks for this clip

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

HELP PLEASE.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP

The song is "Dead On It" off of Sex Machine Today. The original album version is 13+ minutes long including the Mozart/Charley Pride monologue.

• planlessplanless 819 Posts

finally
    big thX BELIEVE