J-Rocc and the short records.

tiger_blurptiger_blurp 275 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central

from the James Brown Tribute party at The Marlin at WMC last month.

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    the illest. Just absolutley facemelting juggles.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    yeah, that's just ridiculous. The DJ's DJ.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    I think someone posted an audio clip a while ago of him doing his "Mosquito's Tweeter" routine on some radio show.

Anyone still got that? Seeing that live was

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    J-Roc is one of the illest djs for sure.
    Yo Tiger is your avatar from Cooly Fooly?

• Yo Tiger is your avatar from Cooly Fooly?

indeed, it is.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    J-Rocc is definetly one of my fav jugglers. The mosquito tweeter was out of control. I think his apache routine is sick as well.
    Great video.
    How come the girl in the background has headphones on like shes listening to her ipod.

• How come the girl in the background has headphones on like shes listening to her ipod.

Both ladies in the background were on next after J-Rocc. They went on right after this clip ends, so they were just getting ready to jump in and spin.

• planlessplanless 819 Posts
    can you post the whole set PLEASE

• I didn't record the whole set. This was recorded on a cheap kodak digital camera meant mostly for taking stills. This is all I got, dude.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    crazy you posted this cause I was just watching it earlier tonight...

• planlessplanless 819 Posts
    okay okay. anyway big thanks for this short thingie
    +
    props?? day

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    what are the girls Dj names? and were they any good?

• ah yeah, i love the way he brings in marva in pieces and then goes into the only you routine...!!

sick

what is that second version of "I Feel Good"????

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i like how homegirl in the back starts to get down to the break and then has to play it off when jrocc changes the song.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    The thing that amazes me most about J-Rocc is his song selection. One of my favorite DJs for sure.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

FOR REAL FOR REAL.

• On either the 99 or 2000 ITF US Championships there's a clip of J-Rocc's melting pot juggle, shit was serious. I never saw it anywhere else, but I suppose I didn't really look. In the realm of juggling dude is so smooth, fuck a science project, he never fell into that bullshit.

• what are the girls Dj names? and were they any good?

I believe it's DJ Reborn and DJ Moni from NY's Ubiquita crew. Moni would be the one in the white tank top that was asked about earlier. I don't know either of them, and I just looked all this up for the first time, so apologies if I mix up the info.

I only caught the very beginning of Reborn's set, but she was a little stressed because Microwave wasn't recognizing her hard drive, and that stress was harshing my mellow. She was playing some James Brown re-edit/remix thing off a 12" when I left. I had already been there for a couple of hours so I was ready to jet when J-Rocc was done.

Besides, J-Rocc is a tough act to follow. They could be phenomenal for all I know, but I wasn't in a position to evaluate. The whole line-up that day was pretty strong, so I'm sure they held their own.

But yes, they're both very nice on the eyes.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    I love Miles jammin in the background!

Question - would this be less impressive if he was rocking Microwave??? We talk of selection & skill, of which he's way above the curve, but is it way iller cuz of the format he's rockin? Discuss.....

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Question - would this be less impressive if he was rocking Microwave???

yes

We talk of selection & skill, of which he's way aboe the curve, but is it way iller cuz of the format he's rockin?

yes

• Question - would this be less impressive if he was rocking Microwave???

yes

We talk of selection & skill, of which he's way aboe the curve, but is it way iller cuz of the format he's rockin?

yes

Agreed. I ride pretty hard for Microwave, but in this case, it's infinitely better that he's rocking 45s. It shows his skill that much more, not only from the record collecting side, but on the technical side, as juggling 45s requires a very delicate touch.

And no bullshit, I was geeked as fuck about his slip mats alone. The 45 adapter is attached to the slip mats, and they're cut to the 7" size. I've seen the full-platter hard plastic ones with the rubber inside mat, but these were new to me. His gal said he copped them in Japan.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    I've seen the full-platter hard plastic ones with the rubber inside mat, but these were new to me. His gal said he copped them in Japan.

you can get them at TT lab.....

I agree as well. I spun with Prince Paul this past weekend and was rockin' Mirco. He killed it, but afterwards my man was saying "how come he didn't rock that real shit???"

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    That was absolutely...

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    YO!!

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    J-Roc is one of the illest djs for sure.

and yet i feel like he's way underrated.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    juggling 45s requires a very delicate touch.

J-Rocc is a tough act to follow.

J-Rocc>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Amy Winehouse

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    what yall didnt get to really experience from that long clip is that body heat edit by applejack. that joint right there destroyed things
    right before jrocc puts his first cut on, you will see me and supreme at the front of the booth tryin to find out what applejack was playin
    that was fire

and the girl that came on after jrocc messed up the whole vibe. i dont even know why she was on the lineup to play. i couldve thought of about 10 other heads in attendance who deserved to play there instead of ole girl.

• Question - would this be less impressive if he was rocking Microwave???

yes

yes

What if he'd been using the new 7" Microwave Control Records?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Not to detract from the dude - he's by far one of my favorite DJs and I also consider him the "DJ's DJ" but those aren't really juggles that he's doing.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    yeah that applejac edit sounded like some heat...

but, it fuckin annoys the fuck outta me when your trying to start your set and you have the dj that just finished all up by the mixer, fuckin with the controls, while your trying to get your thing together. If I was J i would've just stepped back and said let me know when you're ready for me to go. I woulda let the song play out and wouldn't' put shit on till he stepped back from the turntables. Bad dj manners...
    And what about these Microwave dj's that are "too cool" to come in early to set up the interface and try to set that shit up while you're on. Man, bring a couple of records and do that during YOUR set, not mine. There should be a rule that if you want to hook up the interface, respect the other dj's set and do it on your time...
    Maybe that's just me but....

FUCK IT!!!!