predict future record trends 10 years from now

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
like what are ballers hatin' or are oblivious to now that future rackord ballers will love in the 2k17 (+/- 3 years margin)or --what is now that will be considered in the world of 10 years from now?

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    like what are ballers hatin' or are oblivious to now that future rackord ballers will love in the 2k17 (+/- 3 years margin)

or --

what is now that will be considered in the world of 10 years from now?

All of George Michael's exile period unreleased joints.

• ArtichokeArtichoke 112 Posts
    Oil prices will be outrageous, so pressing vinyl up will be $$$
    reissues or bootlegs of rare albums that seem available and easily obtainable now will command $$$.
    private press jerhi-curl raers will be worth a turd.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    all strutters' releases will be mega $!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Does that mean they're terdly now? In the greater sense, though, I could see that. I'm thinking mid-tempo breaks will be big once Becky and Chad realize they're funky, you can dance to them, and DJs can mix them effectively. So all those Funk Weapons, Fort Knox Five, MPM records that are pressed in relatively small runs will be that raer.

Or skiffle breaks. Mad skiffle breaks for days. Gon' be huge.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    New Hampshire Hip Hop.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Lesbian folk and yacht-rock...

That's right, in 2017 the Numero Group is probably gonna put out an album called Eccentric Folk: The Best Of Olivia Records. And old elpees by Player, Nicolette Larson and the Sanford-Townsend Band are gonna shoot up to $10-12 bucks.

Lesbian folk and yacht-rock...

That's right, in 2017 the Numero Group is probably gonna put out an album called Eccentric Folk: The Best Of Olivia Records. And old elpees by Player, Nicolette Larson and the Sanford-Townsend Band are gonna shoot up to $10-12 bucks.

Damn - that's a 1000-1200% increase! Time to stock up, y'all. Pickwick hath seen the future, and the future ain't really into dudes, unless they're of the chest-hair sporting, nautical variety.

german polka will def surge again...

Again? That shit never left - it just went underground. Old Germanic headz know the deal. But the recent crop of polka/rap crossover bands?

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    yacht-rock...

I'm surprised that obscure yacht-rock isn't a hot thing right now. Anyone wanna divulge their private press yacht rock raers? Or are you keeping it hush hush until the moment is right?

yacht-rock...

I'm surprised that obscure yacht-rock isn't a hot thing right now. Anyone wanna divulge their private press yacht rock raers? Or are you keeping it hush hush until the moment is right?

I thought for sure it was gonna spread like the Hong Kong flu just recently when America released a comeback album that had a gang of indie-rockers guesting on it. There was a buzz for a MINUTE...and that was the last I heard of it. So in the meantime, all them Pablo Cruise LP's are going back to the used 99-cent bin.

However, here's one single you might wanna look out for, if white soul and Fender Rhodes pianos are your thing: "Ain't Nothing Wrong" by Paul Revere & the Raiders on the Drive label (yeah, the TK subsidiary). Not the garage/psych/bubblegum of their sixties hits, hell no - by now it was 1976 and they were trying to make a comeback any way they could, with the sound of the time. And if this were released under another name besides "...the Raiders," you'd definitely consider this a lost yacht classic.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    pretty much anything that you fuckers haven't hoarded up already.

if this were released under another name besides "...the Raiders,"[/b] you'd definitely consider this a lost yacht classic.

Lost pirate ship classic?

• indie rock 10inches and other random indie rock on vinyl... and i think some hard core records will be sought-after in 2017.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Independent label hip-hop releases from the late 90s/early 00s. There is a whole generation that grew up with these records being "classic albums".

I really have no idea what the world of records will be like in 10 years. I honestly could see it going either way, there being more people buying vinyl or next to no one. Hopefully some of the old smelly collector types will retire though. All I know is I'll still be doing it.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Nothing. Most vinyl records will go the way of the 78 rpm, Doo Wop, cassettes, and even CDs.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    smelly collector

All I know is I'll still be doing it.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I think we as record freaks will bathe in our own soiled soot sahts.

People will be trading iPod's, saying "I got RAER Color Me Badd. CMB, no one can FUCK WITH ME."

As long as that forthcoming Scarlett Johansson album is coming out on vinyl, I'm alright.

Nah, in truth, if I am to take a serious look at the future, I feel that the entire discographies of Helen Reddy and Anne Murray will be hugely popular.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Nah, in truth, if I am to take a serious look at the future, I feel that the entire discographies of Helen Reddy and Anne Murray will be hugely popular.

• CDs

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Joanna Newsom

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Dumb people will still be spending way too much on totally gay records, which will cause 20 year old college dudes to grip all over them, and cynical people will continue to bitch about it on the internet and in private phone conversations.

To everything (turn, turn, turn)
    There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
    And a time for every purpose, under heaven

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Dumb people will still be spending way too much on totally gay records, which will cause 20 year old college dudes to grip all over them, and cynical people will continue to bitch about it on the internet and in private phone conversations.

To everything (turn, turn, turn)
    There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
    And a time for every purpose, under heaven

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Joanna Newsom

Git yer slipcases waxed up NOW.

In other news, 311 yinyl will be hanging around the $5-600 mark. Book that shit.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    indie rock 10inches and other random indie rock on vinyl... and i think some hard core records will be sought-after in 2017.

because you gotta look at who will be wanting records in ten years. Mad hipsters are gonna be like: "I remember when I sold that record so I could take a roadtrip to Deleuth and find ironic tshirts. I'll give you $50 for it." Then other people with more money will want them. Put your Yo-La-Tengo's and and your Karate's in the freezer ya'll.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Early nineties house, techno and drum and bass will influence dance music then, like 80s electro-synth-funk influences dance today.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    New Jack Swing. Canonical knows the deal.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    90's Indie Rock is already selling for very good money... and a lot of it was genuinely hard to find within a couple years of it's release.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    CDs

SERIOUS QUESTION.

Is there any difference in sound between say Common "Resurrection" CD released in 90s as opposed to rerelease? My guess is no.

So how would CDs be valueable?

CDs

SERIOUS QUESTION.

Is there any difference in sound between say Common "Resurrection" CD released in 90s as opposed to rerelease? My guess is no.

If its' something relatively rare that no one bought and subsequently went out of print. Just like vinyl.

You used the wrong example, as Common has enough of a following that his albums are probably going to be available for quite some time.

• CDs

SERIOUS QUESTION.

I can definitely imagine a world where CDs are out of print. some people are already releasing music on mini USB-drives.