NBA Playoffs Batches!!!!

Comments

• chauncey made some (uncharacteristicly) bad decisions down the stretch, sheed lost his cool, lebron was clutch, and the cavs shot a really high percentage in the 4th.

given all of that, detroit still could/should have won the game imo. looks like it will be probably a 7 gm series now.

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    I feel sorry for Pistons administrative dude who caught a game-sweated-up-Sheed-jersey to the grill in the hallway after Sheed threw a little tantrum.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Kobe's on Stephen A. Smith's radio right now saying that straight-up, he wants to be traded.

Dude sounds seriously frustrated with his current situation, even suggesting that if he were on the Clippers, they still might be playing right now.

But, I would like to see Kobe play somewhere else at this point in his career.

SAS: Is there anything the Los Angeles Lakers can do to get you to remain with the organization?

KB: No, bro. Nothing.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Kobe's on Stephen A. Smith's radio right now saying that straight-up, he wants to be traded.

Dude sounds seriously frustrated with his current situation, even suggesting that if he were on the Clippers, they still might be playing right now.

cot damn. dude has split personality disorder. He was on KLAC Radio 570 yesterday saying he wants to be a Laker for his whole life- (although he did say that the front office is an absolute mess) http://a1135.g.akamai.net/f/1135/18227/1...ITLE=Interviews
    edit: i'm listening to this thing right now, and he keeps saying he wants to be a Laker for life, but dude is so audibly frustrated around the 18:00 mark. It's crazy in that one, sounds like dude is having a professional breakdown.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

SAS: Is there anything the Los Angeles Lakers can do to get you to remain with the organization?

ship him to new york, restore the balance of the league. he gets to play against his buddy shaq 4 times a year now. everybodys happy.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

When he ran off Shaq he made his bed.....I hope he has to lie in it the rest of his career.

No more rings for this dude!!

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    shaq is barely relevant to the nba. kobe is the best player in the world.

When he ran off Shaq he made his bed[/b].....I hope he has to lie in it the rest of his career.

No more rings for this dude!!

From what I'm hearing, that is not the case:

Bryant fires back at Lakers[/b]
    Stephen A. Smith

Just weeks after saying something needed to be done to improve the Lakers' roster, days after reiterating that point, and hours after suggesting that West's return to the organization might be the solution, Bryant went on an all-out assault after reading that a "team source" intimated in yesterday's Los Angeles Times that he was the reason Shaquille O'Neal was traded.

The Lakers' owner, Jerry Buss, "called a meeting with me after he spoke with Jim Gray [of ESPN] to talk with him about Shaq's future in the middle of the 2004 season," Bryant said yesterday.

"He met with me at the Four Seasons Hotel here across from Fashion Island, which is now the Island Hotel," Bryant said. "I went up to his penthouse suite. [Buss] looks me dead in the face and says: 'Kobe, I am not going to re-sign Shaq. I am not about to pay him $30 million a year or $80 million over three years. No way in hell. I feel like he's getting older. His body is breaking down, and I don't want to pay that money to him when I can get value for him right now rather than wait. This is my decision. It's independent of you. My mind is made up. It doesn't matter to me what you do in free agency because I do not want to pay [Shaq], period.' "

"Dr. Buss said that," Bryant said. "And I haven't said anything for years because I've always felt like folks were just looking to create controversy. Now I know. I realize what extent [the Lakers] will go to, to cover themselves."

And what does O'Neal think?

"I believe Kobe 100 percent," said O'Neal, reached yesterday while in Los Angeles on business. "Absolutely. There's no doubt in my mind Kobe is telling the truth. I believe him a thousand percent. I would have respected Dr. Buss more as a man if he would have told me that himself, because I know he said it. But he didn't [tell me]. He never said a damn word to me."

(read more)

If this is true, Buss is a dick for not just coming out and saying this, and in turn defending his own player for the last few years.

If this is true, Buss is a dick for not just coming out and saying this, and in turn defending his own player for the last few years.

and, if true, are you a bigger dick for defaming kobe for all these years ?

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

are you a bigger dick for being busted for a DUI driving the wrong way on a street in carlsbad with your 24yr old girlfriend?

rockadelic was actually the bigger dick in question.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Here goes all the speculation and scrutiny once again from you non-ballers!! And Keith is dropping bombs! I got yo back playa.

winning ball games for this dude is his life. He expects nothing short of winning 7 NBA championships.

And if anyone cares, he worked twice as hard as Shaq (ESPN Sports Century 1/5):

I'm suspecting, the usual suspects will show up pretty soon.

You guys still watching basketball?

• faded_gloryfaded_glory 421 Posts
    KOBE TO THE KNICKS

get it done

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    KOBE TO THE KNICKS

get it done

I am saying!

KOBE TO THE KNICKS

get it done

I am saying!

This would be a great fit. The perfect answer to the Starbury/Francis[/b] issue.

No....my opinion of Kobe being an asshole has NOTHING to do with Shaq.

Kobe has done a good enough job defaming himself, he doesn't need my help.

• KOBE TO THE KNICKS

get it done

That has no chance. Kobe to the Bulls, however much I would be displeased by it, has a chance of happening because they have so many desirable young pieces. The Knicks can only really offer cap relief, and I don't even think they have too much in the way of expiring contracts, but I could be wrong. The Nets could make a push via a sign and trade with Vince Carter, but I wouldn't be too happy about that if I was a Lakers fan.

Kobe to the Bulls

This would simultaneously be exciting and worrisome for Kobe fans. He will be deemed "The Second Coming" as soon as he arrives in Chicago, and bashed on if we wins nothing in the first two years.

KOBE TO THE KNICKS

get it done

I am saying!

This would be a great fit. The perfect answer to the Starbury/Francis[/b] issue.

You must be joking.

• You would do the trade for Deng, Thomas, and the Knicks #1 though, right? That sounds better than Vince Carter and Marcus Williams. Vince would probably sell more tickets though.

• KOBE TO THE KNICKS

get it done

You would do the trade for Deng, Thomas, and the Knicks #1 though, right? That sounds better than Vince Carter and Marcus Williams. Vince would probably sell more tickets though.

Can you elaborate. I know nothing about 3-way deals and all that.
    Also, if someone can point me to a resource where I could learn about shit like that (salary caps, free agency, etc), it would be MUCH appreciated.

edit: I guess I've found some stuff on my own.

You would do the trade for Deng, Thomas, and the Knicks #1 though, right? That sounds better than Vince Carter and Marcus Williams. Vince would probably sell more tickets though.

not even close to working, salary-wise.

kobe makes $88M over the next 4; deng and thomas are still on their rookie contracts. deng will get re-signed but then you're talking about all that messy base year compensation shit (if his new contract is more than a 20% raise from his current one, which is definitely will be). plus, they have that weird, cultish mentality going on in chicago and i don't think they're going to break all that up in one fell swoop.

bear in mind that kobe has a clause in his contract that stipulates that he can more or less dictate where he goes. he'll only waive the no-trade clause if it's a destination he likes, which i'm guessing narrows it down to chicago, new york, la clippers, phoenix, dallas ....

• Re-sign Deng and throw in P.J. Brown for cap purposes maybe. It seems more doable than any other proposition I've heard so far. Is there anything the Knicks could offer that comes anywhere close to that value talent-wise?

Re-sign Deng and throw in P.J. Brown for cap purposes maybe. It seems more doable than any other proposition I've heard so far

pj brown's contract already expired.

Is there anything the Knicks could offer that comes anywhere close to that value talent-wise?

probably not. i'm dreaming of some elaborate three-way deal in which LA receives rashard lewis + david lee or channing frye + picks, seattle gets jamal crawford, and new york gets kobe (with whatever requisite filler would make it all work under the CBA), but i doubt that happens. LA just might be amenable to a deal involving stephon marbury if we take some nasty contracts off their hands (which for them pretty much boils down to radmanovic). if they go they cost-cutting route i'd imagine they would want to position themselves to sign one of the big free agents coming up in 2009 (lebron/melo/wade/bosh).

Re-sign Deng and throw in P.J. Brown for cap purposes maybe. It seems more doable than any other proposition I've heard so far

pj brown's contract already expired.

Is there anything the Knicks could offer that comes anywhere close to that value talent-wise?

probably not. i'm dreaming of some elaborate three-way deal in which LA receives rashard lewis + david lee or channing frye + picks, seattle gets jamal crawford, and new york gets kobe (with whatever requisite filler would make it all work under the CBA), but i doubt that happens. LA just might be amenable to a deal involving stephon marbury if we take some nasty contracts off their hands (which for them pretty much boils down to radmanovic). if they go they cost-cutting route i'd imagine they would want to position themselves to sign one of the big free agents coming up in 2009 (lebron/melo/wade/bosh).

It's interesting and highly confusing for the casual fan that player trades and acquisitions involve so much more than the players and their capabilities. I was reading the LA Times today, and it definitely seems more about the business and the politics of the business than what I had ever imagined.

It's really eye-opening for me because the front office has so much more to think about then the general public thinks. It's almost like a chess game where a perceived false step is really a setup for the next move, or it really is a false step. Interesting......

• mallardmallard 452 Posts
    It's interesting and highly confusing for the casual fan that player trades and acquisitions involve so much more than the players and their capabilities. I was reading the LA Times today, and it definitely seems more about the business and the politics of the business than what I had ever imagined.

It's really eye-opening for me because the front office has so much more to think about then the general public thinks. It's almost like a chess game where a perceived false step is really a setup for the next move, or it really is a false step. Interesting......

i think most of these people simply cannot see the forest for the trees. i think a lot of of front office folks could do a lot better if they just took a step back and simplified.

looks like marc stein just wrote an article that sums up a lot of the shit i was saying earlier

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=KobeTradeRequest-070530

this summer is gonna be wild

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    THE SPURS ARE A HUMAN BASKETBALL MURDERATION MACHINE

YOU CANNOT STOP IT

51% Field goal shooting
    46% Three point shooting
    and perhaps most surprising.... 75% Free throw shooting

BRING ON THE EAST