reggae ?? la Keith Hudson recommendation

schobbejakschobbejak 36 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
Hi There,I'm reeeeeally feeling this Keith Hudson album. Any of the strutters got some more recommendations for some 'dark/ deep/ psychedelic/ eerie' reggae in the same vein? There are so many mediocre releases in reggae and all it's subgenres (even more so than in other genres I think)that it's really time-consuming wading through them to find that sound or album that really grabs you (allthough I gotta admit my knowledge is not that big on the subject)..Are there any more brilliant pieces like this that I'm unaware of?Thanks!!Greetings

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

the first african head charge lp
    blackboard jungle dub-scratch
    slum in dub-gregory
    wackies -african roots vol 1
    most of augustus pablo's earlier work is considered"eastern and mystical"

• thanks Kala!

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    boh boh boh boh!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    the Blood and Fire comp is delicious and moody to my reggae amateur ears

• It may seem obvious but go for the other hudson realeases if you dont have them, with maybe the exception of "too expensive" they are all interesting enough. My personal favorite is "Playing it cool". Pressure sounds just did a great job with some Hudson reissues that are pretty tough to get otherwise. Secondly the dude was a producer so check out some of his production work, get the "hudson affair comp", to see if it suits your style, not quite as "out there" as "flesh of.." but it's pretty heavy and dark, with lots of classic singers and dj's.

The thing with reggae is alot of times it's about the producers, I always liked Glen Brown as a producer too so look for his stuff it's kinda "off" the way hudsons stuff can be.

I'll ride all day for Sir collin's musical wheel chapter one, in the vein of weirdo, dark and wild reggae stuff but it's a real collectro piece- get it if you can style.

And maybe your already down, but Lee perry did alot more work than what people consider his classic stuff, I just got a copy of Seke Molenga's from the heart of the congo (not to be confused with the congoes record) and it's deep, deep, deep. Nigerians lost in Jamaica making a record by coicidence at Black Ark, with a Robert Palmer (yeah that Robert Palmer) track tacked on at the end (recorded by scratch as well)

• Check this comp for a broad selection of great
    Keith Hudson productions.

Standouts for me are Satan Side, Spanish Amigo and I'm Alright.

All in all a fine example of this great mans offerings.

• Thanks for all the recommendations, much appreciated!
    I will check them all out..

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

easily one of my favourite records, i think it's being repressed again for the second time round.

this is also very very nice

and

• There are two covers for that Macka dub- that's the cooler one for sure. All in all a real good recommendation- super heavy.

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts
    that album's out of control.
    swamp dub.
    not quite the same but might do it for you is wayne jarrett - bubble up.
    second playing it cool.
    lee perry 12s.

• Also, obviously, "Pick a Dub" by Keith Hudson is a stone classic.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    It may seem obvious but go for the other hudson realeases if you dont have them, with maybe the exception of "too expensive" they are all interesting enough. My personal favorite is "Playing it cool". Pressure sounds just did a great job with some Hudson reissues that are pretty tough to get otherwise. Secondly the dude was a producer so check out some of his production work, get the "hudson affair comp", to see if it suits your style, not quite as "out there" as "flesh of.." but it's pretty heavy and dark, with lots of classic singers and dj's.

The thing with reggae is alot of times it's about the producers, I always liked Glen Brown as a producer too so look for his stuff it's kinda "off" the way hudsons stuff can be.

I'll ride all day for Sir collin's musical wheel chapter one, in the vein of weirdo, dark and wild reggae stuff but it's a real collectro piece- get it if you can style.

And maybe your already down, but Lee perry did alot more work than what people consider his classic stuff, I just got a copy of Seke Molenga's from the heart of the congo (not to be confused with the congoes record) and it's deep, deep, deep. Nigerians lost in Jamaica making a record by coicidence at Black Ark, with a Robert Palmer (yeah that Robert Palmer) track tacked on at the end (recorded by scratch as well)

Just picked up that Playing it Cool. So good. I was just going to post on Lee Perry Presents African Roots. Great mixture of reggae w/ real african textures.

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    Also, obviously, "Pick a Dub" by Keith Hudson is a stone classic.

"...the time you take to check me, check yourself..."

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    LIGHT OF SABA!

Get familiar.

Hudson is the man, tis true...
    I'll post some 7"'s to look out for.
    Mikey Dread gets pretty freaky with it too.

• dirtyboydirtyboy 16 Posts
    Not so much in the same vein, but what's good with John Holt? Where to start?
    I only heard that song sampeled on Encore, is must his stuff other similar? Seeing how it's a instrumental track and all..

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Holt Like A Bolt on Treasure Isle. My favorite by him.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    John Holt?

A Love I Can Feel

(can't seem to get an image to work, it's him sitting on some rocks)

and

Up Park Camp

is must his stuff other similar? Seeing how it's a instrumental track and all..

John Holt is a singer.

is must his stuff other similar? Seeing how it's a instrumental track and all..

John Holt is a singer.

Yeah I know that, thats why i asked. The track i mentioned, it has no singing and is more of a comtemporary jazz joint than a reggae joint.. I was wondering if this was the only one, or one of very few or what..

(unless Encore has samples of more than one song and i got the wrong one?? ..doubt it, but if so... )

I haven't heard the song in question - but I've heard the Jay-Z song and that main sample doesn't sound like any Holt record I've ever heard.

Ok, my bad i guess. I heard a the song with the main sample from Encore in a record shop, when i got home i checked the credits on the album and it was only a sample by Holt on that song.. WTF.

Anyway, been meaning to check Holt out for a minute, so thanks for the recomandations.

Holt Like A Bolt on Treasure Isle. My favorite by him.

That's a killer.
    I also really dig John Holt-Holt on the Jaguar label.
    It's got the original version (as far as I know) of "Got To Get Away",
    which is my favorite tune of his.
    Ali Baba is an all-time reggae classic by Holt also.
    Be careful though, Holt had some albums that straight up suck.

• The sample in encore, isnt even very representative of the rest of the John Holt song it's sampled from, just a instrumental intro.

Co-sign on a love I can feel, and Holt like a bolt. His version of "rain from the skies" is gold.

He also has a killer version of "you'll never find another love like mine" on a similarly titled album, that is super hard and waaaay better than the og.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Not so much in the same vein, but what's good with John Holt? Where to start?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

He also has a killer version of "you'll never find another love like mine" on a similarly titled album, that is super hard and waaaay better than the og.

and 45
    VERSION

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    The sample in encore

it's a cover of the beatles "i will"

• LIGHT OF SABA!

Get familiar.

Yes!!!!! I am familiar with that
    One of my favorites and I can recommend it to anyone who hasn't got it yet..
    Concerning Holt, I heard some people praise '1000 volts of Holt' but haven't checked it yet, so I don't really know if it's good. Lots of covers on it I think.
    He's a pretty 'classic' artist, so you can easily check out his different albums through online shops that provide soundsnippets..

• what's good with John Holt?

Recently acquired this. One of numerous treasure isle releases.

jh-sistabigstuf

Hudson produced 7" Pron as promised....

All of these are hard as f*%k!
    Many are double siders (as opposed to A side vocal B side version), SWEET!
    Do your self a favor and track them down.

PS-The huge pictures are in memory of the poster Soufriere used to be.
    Stay off them cracks people!
    Strictly keep the "Studio Kinda Cloudy as I would Say"....