trader joe's (nrr)

autezautez 404 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
i just went and bought my groceries at trader joes for the first time. they have a lot of shit there and it was kind of overwhelming. i was wondering if any real headz could tell me some dealz on what some of their fave things to buy there are. i am eating pita bread with salami inside dipped in hummus and it is good and cheap.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    i just went and bought my groceries at trader joes for the first time. they have a lot of shit there and it was kind of overwhelming. i was wondering if any real headz could tell me some dealz on what some of their fave things to buy there are. i am eating pita bread with salami inside dipped in hummus and it is good and cheap.

When our Joes opened they had frozen wild Argentinian shrimp. Fabulous. We still eat the frozen farmed uncooked shrimp.

Joes is about snacks. Blister peanuts, pistachios, chips, chocolate covered blueberries, giant bars of of dark chocolate with almonds, guac with salsa on top.

We do most our non fresh groceries at TJs. Organic milk, yogurt, eggs, cheeses (like the fresh mozz). Pasta, jasmine or basmanti rice, tooth paste, frozen breaded fish, olive oil...

We drink smoothies every morning. Frozen mangos, and other frozen fruit or berries from TJs plus fresh bananas, yogurt and what ever fresh fruit or berries are lying around, plus a splash of juice.

Their tubs of dips are good, like humus, guac, salsa...

Farmer market season is about to start and that will be our main source of food when they get going.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    good frozen fish.

• Rice Cakes for the cheap ($0.99) are good for snacking, as well as the Pita Chips and hummus is darned good as well.

Some things are overpriced...but most stuff there is

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    yo! i love traer joes and shop there a bit. my tastes are particular, but i do got some staples that i get over there for myself and others.

*whole grain pasta & brown rice...close to half the price of what you pay in most supermarkets for whole grains
    *cheapest place to get a lot of kashi cereals
    *excellent selection of organic/conventional dried fruit and nuts.
    *all types of variety of peanut butters and other butters. one of my favorites is a reasonably priced cashew/macadamia butter
    *extensive and quality frozn veegetables and stirfry blends
    *i pick up salmon and tuna patties for my homie D128
    *another friend swears by their frozen pizzas.cheap and pretty gourmet
    *my parents love the pot stickers with shrimp
    the canned beans are very cheap, even when they are organic
    *pickles are $2 a jar and are done right
    *some pleasant soaps priced real well..especially the teatree one and oatmeal one. weird but, i like.
    *inexpensive frozen fruit...pineapples,strawberry's $1.69 lb., for example
    *excellent selection of tortilla chips. they even have a salsa chip, hihgh in fiber that my highschool kids like a lot
    *weird fruit leather flavors...they had pineapple,boysenberry and gooseberry recently
    *"dubliner" irish cheddar cheese...a generous $5.49/lb. for a delicious fruity and slightly sharp cheddar
    *carrot juice...they got quarts of it at a great price and the shit is slamming
    *good price on decent olive oils
    i could go on and on.

i dont buy produce there unless i have to. fresh, but not very cheap.
    their guacamole is too salty for my tastes.
    a shame philly tj's cant sell wine
    downtown tj's locked up their dumpster...i had friends who were living off TJ's dumpstered goods.

great store.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    dried fruits for dayz

whats up dan???
    my mom kills those big dark chocolate tablets
    and my pop puts a hurtin on them blister peanuts.

...for real. no plaese

man that is foul. TJs is great for their beer/wine specials. I cope whtever is cheap and that I haven't tried before.

downtown tj's locked up their dumpster...

shit's unconscionable. how do they justify locking up food that they've disowned while others are hungry?

man that is foul. TJs is great for their beer/wine specials. I cope whtever is cheap and that I haven't tried before.
    dang, poour some out on the curb for me next time. philly's still strangled by prohibition era protestant work ethic insanity dry laws. makes my italian blood boil

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    I'm not a huge Trader Joe's guy, because i've been spoiled since high school by the best whole / natural foods market on the planet. These are a few of my favorite things from TJs though:

-pizza dough (cheap and makes a nice pie)
    -frozen french onion soup (goes right in the crock and right in the oven)
    -frozen crab cakes

My lady loves the hummus quartet.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    trader joes is

i fuckin love that place, although out here in philly you can't stock up on cheap beer and alcoohol.

things i get almost every time i go there:

frozen birds nests & tempura
    pizza dough
    orange, peach, mango juice
    soy milk
    teriyaki marinated tofu
    caribbean popsicles
    double rainbow mango and tangerine sorbet
    couscous
    vegetable potstickers
    all of their pet products are on point, especially with all the recall shit. after that went down, they immediately pulled all of their product, even though they weren't at risk. good look.

fuck a supermarket.

• downtown tj's locked up their dumpster...i had friends who were living off TJ's dumpstered goods.

When I lived in Santa Cruz we used to bike out at night to the Capitola Trader Joe's and load up on dumpstered goods. Most everything was still packaged so it wasn't gross in the slightest. They had their dumpsters under lock and key too. Lucky for us we had a copy of the key!

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Where is this dude at/ what is he doing? I met him through a friend a couple years ago when I was living in Orlando. Sick with the live show.

Where is this dude at/ what is he doing? I met him through a friend a couple years ago when I was living in Orlando. Sick with the live show.

he is currently shopping at trader joes on the regular

for real though, he lives in philly and does a lot of video work for music people and nutrition people and tours with diplo and eats salmon patties and beans

downtown tj's locked up their dumpster...i had friends who were living off TJ's dumpstered goods.

When I lived in Santa Cruz we used to bike out at night to the Capitola Trader Joe's and load up on dumpstered goods. Most everything was still packaged so it wasn't gross in the slightest. They had their dumpsters under lock and key too. Lucky for us we had a copy of the key!

yeah,i was pretty impressed with what some people salvaged from there.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    whats up dan???
    my mom kills those big dark chocolate tablets
    and my pop puts a hurtin on them blister peanuts.

...for real. no plaese

Volunteer coordinating, selling records, Night Owl Record Show October 6th come on out, wasting time on the internets, getting ready to start working on the house and yard.

• downtown tj's locked up their dumpster...i had friends who were living off TJ's dumpstered goods.

yeah,i was pretty impressed with what some people salvaged from there.

Personally I wasn't as immersed in the dumpstering lifestyle as some of my friends but they had it down to a science. I would say they took it as seriously as some of us take looking for records. We actually had a master key that opened every dumpster in downtown Santa Cruz.

thorough! i actually didnt know too much about dumpstering until i traveled around the states. saw that shit in savannah georgia, jacksonville florida, tucson arizona, la...eventually you cant help but bump into people doing it everywhere. especially when you eat at food not bombs a lot

i saw people pull wrapped chocolate trade joe cakes!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    TJ's all green juice blend is great-tasting, good for you, and much cheaper than the comparable Odwalla or Naked varieties. Their High-Fiber O's are tops. And their prices for Kashi cereals are the lowest in town. I just wish that there was one in Wicker Park.

TJ's is so good that, after 6 years of shopping there, I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop. On some "those ain't dehydrated bananas" shit.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I wish this thread was about Trader Vic's!

Incidentally, there's a restaurant in the Habana Libre in Havana that was a Trader Vic's when the hotel was the Havana Hilton. The interior and the kitchens haven't changed since the revolution and it's like entering into a (threadbare) time machine. Unexpectedly, it's the only bar where I've ever had tiki style drinks that were actually good. Mai Tais, Missionary's Downfalls, and Zombies for days!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I recommend that cake with berries on it. Delicious!

Incidentally, there's a restaurant in the Habana Libre in Havana that was a Trader Vic's when the hotel was the Havana Hilton. The interior and the kitchens haven't changed since the revolution and it's like entering into a (threadbare) time machine. Unexpectedly, it's the only bar where I've ever had tiki style drinks that were actually good. Mai Tais, Missionary's Downfalls, and Zombies for days!

haha trader vics love that place. the OG is right here in the Bay I beleive.

PS SF heads may be familiar with a 3rd Trader's: Sams.

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Chile Spiced Mango is absolutely necessary.

yo, they had those at that fiestabowl swap meet in LA

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Anyone know if they stock this?

Get yourself a pound and make the Velvet Chocolate Cake. You'll thank me.

• I gets down on the stuffed peppers and the Toffu corn dogs...

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

bad news... theyre shutting the institution that is trader vic's in beverly hills down. but not for a while so enjoy it while its still around.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Good for snacks, cheap wine, and frozen food, really shitty for vegetables and fruit.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts

i got those thai chili and lime peanuts. i love eating thai food, but deez nutz weren't so tight. i'll still go back and eat at handfull of them, thinking it's gonna change, but it doesn't. still tasting gross. i hate wasting food though.