Speaking of Diamond D...

2»

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i dont know how helpful this rhetorical critic is, so how do you feel about a rap critic who dislikes 2pac?

I certainly would have to question his understanding of the genre and it's audience.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    It's always been a trip to me that so many internet rap groupie dudes that I run across seem to want to put Diamond D's Stunts, Blunts and Hip-Hop or Main Source's Breaking Atoms or Showbiz and AG's Runaway Slave or Gang Starr's Daily Operation) on a pedastal higher than say NWA's Straight Outta Compton or Too $hort's Life Is...Too $hort or the Geto Boys' We Can't Be Stopped or Dr. Dre's The Chronic. To each their own of course, but is it really all that important for such an emphatic almost-entirely-internet-based[/b] minority to proclaim that their contrary reality is indeed more genuine than reality itself?

"why do some people like some records more than i do?"

That's pretty much what I got out of this. Thinking Breaking Atoms is better than Life Is...Too $hort is "contrary reality?" No, it's called "liking that Main Source album better than that Too Short album."

Seriously. I am sick of people making lists of great albums and debating shit like they're on a quest for the absolute truth. There is no such thing. It's called having an opinion, and people are going to disagree, and have different tastes.

Personally, I think all the albums mentionned above are classics, but I find myself putting on the NY stuff much more often, and the vast majority of people I play it for dig that era of NY hip-hop way more than any of the West Coast stuff. Does that make us part of a blog conspiracy?

Also - Everyone who is even slightly into hip-hop knows The Chronic in California. I assume this is somewhat true in a lot of other places, because of how well that album sold and how it spread. So it's no surprise that bloggers, who are naturally inclined to post music that others haven't heard, aren't hyping up The Chronic, because it really wouldn't make for a very fresh or interesting blog. On the contrary, a ton of the NY music remains slept on by Californians. You get dudes who think they are real into hip-hop and they're all "Diamond who? Main Source?". This isn't to use CA as representitive of the rest of the nation/world, but I do think that this may be true in a more universal way to some degree, reinforced by the fact that Dre, Tupac, and Snoop Dogg remain pop culture icons, while those NYC artists could walk down almost any street outside of NYC and go unnoticed.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    I dunno, my suspicion is that Beni B is somehow behind this longstanding trend...like he rewards dudes with raer records from his storied collection for cited internet instances of subordinating Straight Outta Compton to Stunts, Blunts, and Hip Hop.

NO. How would you even be able to draw a conclusion that Beni has anything to do with this?

1. He did not become relevent as collector or label owner until after DITC etc. came onto the scene as a click and idiology in hip-hop.

2. The cats running the promo game in the 90s were more responsible for perpetuating certain albums as well. Alot of the stuff that you noted above is also somewhat rare in its OG vinyl pressings (CDs too depending on the album)because alot of that stuff went straight overseas and also just wasn't pressed up in the same amount of numbers as an NWA.

3. I don't think anyone really puts those albums you mentioned above IF they were buying records and CDs when those albums came out. i think what you are pointing to is a younger generation that missed that time period and holds certain records as holy grails representing that era.

4. Too Short and NWA and the west coast in general never got that shine. I would argue that Ice Cube is one of if not the best MCs ever and Dre is one of if not the best producers ever, however them being from the west coast even though they have made it big and become superstars they just don't get that same shine from alot of enthusiasts... Its alway oh yeah they are one of the best, but you know, top 10. this may be less true for Dre today beause of his ability to stay relevent, but I know this was the case even in 2000 or so.

And in the end. Who cares? Some people like polka music and think thats better than Too Short or NWA. Let em.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

Nathan Rabin, like Tom Breihen, have pretty taste to say the least.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Dude, the Beni B thing was a joke.

• It's always been a trip to me that so many internet rap groupie dudes

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    It's always been a trip to me that so many internet rap groupie dudes

I'll have you know that I am a real life rap groupie dude, thank you very much.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

woops most of your posts are pretty surreal so its kind of hard to tell whether you are joking or not most of the time.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    i dont know how helpful this rhetorical critic is, so how do you feel about a rap critic who dislikes 2pac?

I certainly would have to question his understanding of the genre and it's audience.

How so? I'm not a rap critic, but I always thought 2pac was crappola.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

woops most of your posts are pretty surreal so its kind of hard to tell whether you are joking or not most of the time.

for real...dumb thread from the start.

this dude is like a little east cost/west coast/any coast beef instigator

maybe he ran out of things to write about

borrrrrrrrrrrring

(wheres that ghey gremlin?)

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

(wheres that ghey gremlin?)

it's still there, holmes