Itunes mix sequencing question

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
When I make mixes in itunes then zip them. it jumbles the order (listing tunes alphabetically). Other than changing the album title on all the songs to get them to stay in order what can i do to preserve my playlist?

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    in the properties of each track there is a field for track numbers. youd have to edit each one correspondingly.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    wouldn't that screw up the order they are in as album tracks (e.g. change back in black to track 4 changes where it sits in regard to songs on back in black). A further clarification. I save the tunes as a playlist then create a new itunes file with the mix name and then zip that file. Is this the smart way to zip mixes of individual tunes?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Sounds like you just need to fill out the track number tags.

0. Arrange the tracks in the correct sequence in your playlist.
    1. Highlight all the tracks in the mix
    2. Go to File->Get Info->Info
    3. In the Track Number checkbox area, fill out the field specifying the total number of tracks for the mix (to the right of of) and click OK.
    4. Highlight the first track.
    5. Go to File->Get Info->Info again
    6. Click the Info tab again if it isn't already selected. Put 1 in the field specifying this particular track number (to the left of of).
    7. Click NEXT.
    8. Do the same for the remaining tracks.

That way the tracks will always be displayed according to your sequencing, not alphabetically.

If you turn on the automatic rename option in the preferences, Itunes will also rename the actual mp3 files (not the tags) in a logical manner with the track number preceding the track name. I always have this feature switched on.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    wouldn't that screw up the order they are in as album tracks (e.g. change back in black to track 4 changes where it sits in regard to songs on back in black). A further clarification. I save the tunes as a playlist then create a new itunes file with the mix name and then zip that file. Is this the smart way to zip mixes of individual tunes?

OK, let me get this right, you are sequencing a mix of tracks from albums you already have in your library? In that case you'll probably have to make copies of the mp3s you want to use and tag the copies for your mix. That way the original tracks won't get out of sequence in their original context.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

oh your talking about playlists?
    i dont think you have control over the order in a playlist. you have to mess with the album info and tracklist and all that permanently.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

oh your talking about playlists?
    i dont think you have control over the order in a playlist. you have to mess with the album info and tracklist and all that permanently.

Well I am creating the mixes first as playlists then converting them to a new itunes folder which i then zip for uploading to fileshare sites.

Perhaps I am going about this wrong? Is there a better way to do this? I suppose I could make copies of all the files and then do the track listing thing MD was suggesting.

Thanks,
    Wu