Photo Essay 6/13/05 holler

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Random image thread. This was from the photobucket account that I forgot that I had. I did this a couple of weeks ago on another board, but I thought that maybe I would share it with my Strutter folks today.The Rootdown flyer with one of my favorite photos of my all time favorite group, Parliament. I love the way Billy Bass is just hamming it up in front. I picked this up on my last trip to LA, especially because it was the flyer for the one and only DJ Day's appearance at the club.My man Espo with the Don OST. This was from a photo essay that I did years ago which was about digging, where I was just asking different people what the bought at a show and why, trying to document the different facets of this digging thing of ours. Espo is a real old time record dude, and he put me on to lots of shit back in the day.The second Hollertronix flyer ever. Shit is crazy raw. This was when the party was actually really good.Me and my man Maxxx in a coffee shop. Some real old school Philly shit.Speaking of some real old school Philly shit, I know I've told the story of my car accident before. Well while I was all fucked up and shit, my club held a benefit for me and all the DJs I knew came and played for free and I made a good amount of money to help pay my hospital bills/loss of wages an whatnot. I wasn't here (I was still in a wheelchair) but I heard this was a pretty good party.My first trip to Paris, when my Europe crew brought my Remedy 215 crew over there to do a party. Low Budget came with us, and so did my wife. 2 days after we got back she made the decision that she wanted to move to New York. Paris is fucking dope.Another flyer from back in the day, years ago... when Me and John and Rich were like the triad of DJs in Philly that were the only dudes really doing it. This was a hot party. I think I might want to do a bowling party in Brooklyn. A photo my sister took. She's a huge inspiration to me. I had a dream about her last night. Basic Jamaican Ska Step, word to Magnetic. Looks like fun.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

My god-daughter. I never see her. She lives in LA.

Skip Spence poster. Dude is my dude for real.

Another photo by my sister, taken outside of Las Vegas, She just won the Pew Fellowship, so I'm real proud of her. She's down with the Vanguard Squad as well. Plaes to check out her site.

A memorial photo of Paulette Ogoun, word to all my Haitians. Every end of summer in my neighborhood there's the West Indian Day Parade, and the parkway becomes like Carnival out there. MILLIONS of Jamaicans, Haitians, Trinidadians, you name it, come on out party like crazy. There are these huge 18 wheel trucks with flatbed trailers roll down the parkway, and they will have like 25 foot stacks of speakers on them, with like Bounty Killer on top performing, while all these people are hanging on (for dear life) to the side of the trucks, followed with hundreds of people in matching technicolor outfits made of feathers waving flags. Last year, when Elephant Man's (Energy God!) truck came by, he performed "Pon The River" and seriously we were caught up in a sea of 10,000 people who were "giving dem a run" and had we not done so ourselves we would have been trampled. Time of my life. The evening before of Juvey (sp?), which is a Haitian thing where all during the night people run up to you and splash you with oil and paint and powder and all sorts of madness like that. It's something that I don't quite understand, not quite a Santeria thing or a traditional "voodoo" custom, but it is pretty fun. I met Birdman 9 at the parade last year.

Here's a photo of my mom when she was 18 or so. Hipster haha... yeah, that's ma dukes right there, but the genuine article. She just went to the Van Morrison concert in Atlantic City on Saturday... dolo. She text messaged me from the concert the following 2 things: "Never thought I'd live to hear Van singing 'That's Life'!" and "More white people that I've seen in 1 spot too - whew." My mom's cracks me up.

More dudes, Dude Von, Sipreano and Supreme. This is like hard rock central right here, dunny.

I saw this driving the other day. I raced up to get a flick (dangerous I know) and dude was looking at me like I was crazy.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Some flyers that my man Ben Ten did for me for a party of mine back in the day. These are 2 of a total 8, all hand screen-printed and with different characters on them. Super cool fucking work. Check out www.space1026.com to see more of his stuff, along with a bunch of other friends of mine. It's a co-op art gallery and studio that my fiends have, and I used to work out of there as well.

This photo was taken at Philly's Trocadero back in the day., like maybe 1992 or 1993. That's Kwame on the mic. Directly to his right with the white shirt and red plaid vest (ahhh... early mid 90s hip-hop fashion!) is Tariq AKA Black Thought. Espo is behind him. To the left of Kwam is Bun (now going by Capital A) and Knowledge AKA Doodle Bug. In the crowd on stage are the dudes from PRT, Kenyatta, my main man Dame and other members of the Philly rap community/5% Nation and all of that.

This is an old favorite. You know that Philadelphians are crazy about sports, right?

I was kicked out of my "braniac" high school because I was a discipline problem. I was then sent to Satinsky, which was like school for very smart but very bad kids. This was a piece I did on the back of my notebook, in 1990. Check out the "If Amerikka's the prison, we're the jailbreak" thing I wrote. AWESOME.

Does anyone have this medal? GANGSTER AS FUCK. I want a solid gold Cannonball Adderley medallion. This was included in his "Lovers" LP, and was a commemorative piece for after he died. Damn I would fucking murder to get that piece, so raw.

My man Speed took this photo, at Val Shively's for the article I did for Wax poetics. This photo is currently my desktop.

Me and The Gods somewhere in Philly back in the day, all drunk, probably smoking bidis.

My mom and dad back in the day, probably around 1970. My mom was a script revisionist for "Hair" and my dad built sets. That's how the met. My dad died when I was 2, and my mom relocated me and my sister back to Philly, and we've been east coast ever since.

I'm serious.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Graffiti, know what I mean?

This was the infamous "Monday Night At Fluid" performance. Notice that it is at Fluid, and it is a Monday night. I don't have the time to write out the fully story about that but you can check out the story here.

Dude is right, this could be the cover of a 12". I didn't take this photo though, my man Dom did.

Word to Resident Giant, "Commando" is one of the greatest movies ever made. Shit is so over the top. Now Arnold runs California. Fucking crazy.

More graffiti.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Okay, I'm done.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    In SF we would say "thats whats up". Another Cosmo Baker sureshot.

• all essays should be photo essays. pretty nice. paints a good self portrait.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Philly classic... I think that photo of your arms is the only image I've ever seen that's made me want to get a tattoo myself. Best post of the day/week.*

*Well except for the dude who was saying he wasn't sure if you could cueburn a CD or not. That shit was funny.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    most excellent. For your avatar pleasure:

and now...

Double Time!

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    all essays should be photo essays.

NICENESS!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    cosmo-

thanks for sharing all this.

it was meaningful to read through. deep hx.

based on the photos of your folks, i think you should have kept "harry hippie" 45.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I hear you Ari but considering how much you wanted it, I had no problem hitting you off with it.

NO AYYO[/b]

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Nice pics Cos.
    Hopefully we will get time to come up for Carnival again this year. The way time is flying, fuck, it won't be long!

Just so people know what they can expect at the festivities, there's a lot of this:

and lots of that:

and the crowds on the sound systems:

Highly recommended, a great time.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

That was the Wycleff Jean soundsystem, right? Dude surprised the shit out of me... really good I mean. That 50 Cent dub killed it in the crowd.

Yeah Chris, if you're gonna be up here then we definitley need to link up again.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i like this, but i like that more

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

This was the infamous "Monday Night At Fluid" performance. Notice that it is at Fluid, and it is a Monday night. I don't have the time to write out the fully story about that but you can check out the story here.

So King Honey is from Philly? I like that dude's beats a lot.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Nice shit... Great post...

Can I just rep Caribana in Toronto for a second? It's comin' up!

Thx

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Thx

Will you be busting out your x-ray vision goggles then?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Thx

That's one my wife and I have been talking about for awhile now, I have never been to Toronto, and she has lots of WI family up there. I have heard Carnival there is off the chain! DC's is coming up the last weekend of June, it's been a bit hit or miss the last few years because the city relocated it one year and it threw it off track, but one thing's for sure, it's still a loud affair! time to get my Carib buzz on!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

Thx

Ohhhhhh... ur so quick on the ball...

HAHA...

~ZING

But to answer ur question... Maybe... Are you playing out?

• loginlogin 52 Posts

Was he still using a CD DJ back then? Or was this some King G. otherish?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Thx

Ohhhhhh... ur so quick on the ball...

HAHA...

~ZING

But to answer ur question... Maybe... Are you playing out?

not anymore i'm not!

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    SAYING

Von Dude indeed - these threads are what make this place good.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Okay, I'm done.

I been looking at this shit for hours. Made my day (?week, month, year).

Thank you. :little hands clapping:

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    DAMN that shit was dope! I was just thinking about doing a thread like this too. Cos, you did those pieces? Very illmatical.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    that cannonball medal shits over any chain i've seen in my life

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    This is awesome.

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts

More dudes, Dude Von, Sipreano and Supreme. This is like hard rock central right here, dunny.

SUP??? CRAZY!!! PEOPLE!!! BEDLAM!!!
    SPST-SLMN GNG!!!

• Dope thread Cosmo, thanks for posting this.

Holy shit, I just read that story. I remember bumping the shit out of that track in my busted ass Geo when I was going to school down in Florida.
    "Small attache case, come at ya neck!" into that Cozy Powell fill.. I gotta do dig that up again now that I know the context.

Prolly a stupid question, but

same Espo?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    5 stars, thread of the month Cosmo!

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    dope shit, Cos