What is with high priced really bad 90's rap cds?!

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    That said, I don't sell rare rap CDs. Perhaps the one Noz can shed light on whether his clientele consists mainly of "rich white kids".

While I've never done a specific demographic breakdown, here are some trends I have noticed:

Generally when I sell CDs like this there's a pretty specific price break between American and Euro buyers. The market for the lower price bracket is a pretty even split between domestic and overseas sales, but once an auction goes past about the $50 mark it's probably going abroad. American's just can't hang when it comes to the baller Euro/Asian market. (So I guess we can strike "rich" from the "rich white kids" equation).

The ocassional correspondance I've had with the American customers would lead me to believe that many of them are revisiting shit, replacing tapes or lost cds that they can no longer get in stores (kids). Often the buyers reside in the general area of the albums release - Houston rap sells well to TX/LA/OK, bay shit goes Northern Cal/oregon/seattle a lot, etc. I can't make a definitive call on whether they "sound white" based solely on names and emails, but logic would dictate that not too many white people were into Handyman in '96.

This thread seems to pop up here every few months and it always blows my mind that you guys can't see the situation analogous to your record buying tastes, just removed by a generation. Stark Reality was a cutout bin terd in 75. Handyman was was cutout bin terd in 02. Both experienced a resurgance years later because they circumstantially fall in line with a aesthetic that would eventually appeal to niche markets. At the very least, most of these CDs are VERY rare, so collectability should be understandable.

Izm, as usual, you have no idea what you're talking about. Your post is an avalanche of fallacies.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people copping this shit are collectors with an eye on the long game, but the market for it could just as easily be people with a thing for regional hip-hop.

Well, I don't think many people are putting up $300 on a mid-nineties CD and taking the long view--that strikes me more as the behavior of someone who absolutely has to have it right now.

However, I know a number of people that loaded up on little-known regional rap CDs for a dollar or less a pop when Tower was closing, in the hopes that some of them would eventually appreciate.

The attitude of people on this board is just astounding to me, though--you would think that they had a generally better understanding of collector economies, but dudes seem to think you can fool these collectors into paying $200 for any mid-nineties gangsta rap CD if you play your cards right.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    You will NOT find a black kid on ebay bidding for 150 a gansgta-garbage CD. No. I guarantee that.

This is bordering on some Don Imus speak here in the states.

There's no Black middle-class in France for example.

And OUCH to the fullest!!!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    yes, izm is on some other shit.

• I really really wish that I had been able to take screen-shots of
    Peaches Records and Tapes[/b]' website before it got washed out to sea
    by Katrina. Among many other local gems were two distinct CDs
    featuring Wheelchair Rappers. Of course now, hundreds of miles away
    and pounds of weed later, I can't remember the fucking names or titles.

And yeah, people that think all Gansta CDs are alike, or are garbage
    because they are local, plaese to stay out of this thread, or you might
    win the next wet t-shirt contest. You played yourself.

People are willing to pay good money for certain discs because either
    the music on them is excellent or because it reminds them of a certain
    remarkable time in their life, or both.

Also there are some collector-fetishists who are buying the stuff just
    because they have done their research and know the items to be super-rare.
    My only contention with this approach from a business sense, is that
    CDs are so much easier to bootleg than vinyl. If this trend catches on
    to the wider collectro markets, then expect to see some lookalike CDs.
    As fetish-objects I don't personally feel that CDs hold the same weight
    as vinyls.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Noz you need to use your logic a bit more...it would help you to draw the same conclusions. Actually you even said what i said in your post, but you was scared to claim the same thing i guess. Let me show you :

American's just can't hang when it comes to the baller Euro/Asian market

Ok so you're saying that Americans customers can't hang. Again, we are talking about garbage rap CDs here. Not regular sales. And you 're telling me that Asians got more bidding power. Knowing that i dont want to argue about the use of the word "asian" here (fallacie to me), i give it you that "asians" got the best wall of vinyls. Nobody can fuck with Japaneses. Granted, you're telling me that Euro are more into buying garbage rap CD for 150. Are you on crack bro'?
    You even said yourself :
    logic would dictate that not too many white people were into Handyman in '96
    what kind of logic is that?? So in 96, when white people started to buy hip-hop like there's no tomorrow and like they created that shit, Handyman had a black fan base. Ok. Let's imagine. It dont change my statement. Today, his fans from 96 are dead, and the only people that can seriously hunt down this CD are white kids who fantasize about Gangsta Rap and his Golden age. I've never seena grown ass serious dude listening to that kind of shit in 2007. 207 is the key word.
    And you really need to check the global stats, not your stats, if you want to elaborate on how Euro ballers got more doe than American ballers. Last time i checked, ballin' was US.A. favorite sport. Give back to Ceasar what belongs to him. Or to Jim Jones...Whatever.

The ocassional correspondance I've had with the American customers would lead me to believe that many of them are revisiting shit, replacing tapes or lost cds that they can no longer get in stores (kids). Often the buyers reside in the general area of the albums release - Houston rap sells well to TX/LA/OK, bay shit goes Northern Cal/oregon/seattle a lot, etc. I can't make a definitive call on whether they "sound white"
    i know you dont want to admit it. So you "believe", "tend to think", but i say it for you my friend : they are white. Mostly. It's not controversial. It's logic, as you said...It's a matter of proportions. OR MAYBE it's Handyman's family trying to regroup what's left. In that case, i could be wrong. But that would makes the buyers American. Not Euro.

To conclude, we can work around the angles. Rich white kids was exagerated. Rich man without melanin tend to hunt down garbage gangsta rap CDs...and they are canadians. No?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I really really wish that I had been able to take screen-shots of
    Peaches Records and Tapes[/b]' website before it got washed out to sea
    by Katrina. Among many other local gems were two distinct CDs
    featuring Wheelchair Rappers. Of course now, hundreds of miles away
    and pounds of weed later, I can't remember the fucking names or titles.

If you was checking the demographic situation of countries you dont know about, you would see that i didnt say "nappy headed ho" but just something like "all countries dont carry the same consummers bracket". But i guess it's too hard for you to dig deep so you prefer to stay on the surface. I dont blame you. Informations can really be devastating.

Now on another note, i would be happy for you not to put my screen name near Imus. Or just ignore me. I like people with a relative sense of humour, but this dont do it for me. It's li4ek calling me Kramer. And frankly, you dont wanna go down like that...Canal or no Canal...LOL.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    washed out to sea

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    wtf?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HANDYMAN-THE-ADVENTU...1QQcmdZViewItem

tons of stuff like this in the over $100 range?

You should have kept all that shit you were sellin at Music Menu. "Aye fool, I need that Little Bruce". I actually have done pretty good with the stuff I bought at a distributor in the yay over the summer. I'm sittin on quanitity of some raer cd's and tryin not to flood the market. 80% of the 100 and over purchasers are from Europe. Germany goes hard with the random gangster rap. Why Hans in Dusseldorf will by a Fly Nate cd for 60 bucks I can't call it. Its some collectro.

A dude I played baseball with in high school has a collectible g rap cd that came out in 96. Gotta get some copies from him. Is that "sourcing"?

• AW HELL YEAH! That's one of em...Gerttown Red.

I was a little worried for him, what with that wheelchair right
    next to the pool, getting distracted by those ladies.

A wheelchair with solid gold rims runs the risk of harming those
    hot bodies.

That, or, a solid gold wheelchair doesn't belong in the bottom of a pool.

and shit, i forgot that...Germany. Theres gies the REAL scapegoat of this shit. It's been like what, 4/5 years, they started to go ddep in to West Coast music. Gangbangin' is a dream out there. I went in Bremen last year. Incredible. White gangstas everywhere. SO my bad, along with the canadians, germans are to be pointed at.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    Its not though. If you went to Rasputins everyday you wouldn't find 98% of the expensive cd's from the bay. 415 is not just sitting in used cd stores.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    and shit, i forgot that...Germany. Theres gies the REAL scapegoat of this shit. It's been like what, 4/5 years, they started to go ddep in to West Coast music. Gangbangin' is a dream out there. I went in Bremen last year. Incredible. White gangstas everywhere. SO my bad, along with the canadians, germans are to be pointed at.

"Imagine yourself in the South Bronx and a van full of African-American males yell at you, RESPOND!"

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Again, we are talking about garbage rap CDs here.

Have you ever heard any of the artists being discussed in this thread? Do you have a discerning ear for which to seperate "garbage" underground gangsta rap CDs from the good ones?

Your rambling nonsensical rant has only further established your non-perspective on the subject.

Noz you need to use your logic a bit more...it would help you to draw the same conclusions. Actually you even said what i said in your post, but you was scared to claim the same thing i guess. Let me show you :

American's just can't hang when it comes to the baller Euro/Asian market

Ok so you're saying that Americans customers can't hang. Again, we are talking about garbage rap CDs here. Not regular sales. And you 're telling me that Asians got more bidding power. Knowing that i dont want to argue about the use of the word "asian" here (fallacie to me), i give it you that "asians" got the best wall of vinyls. Nobody can fuck with Japaneses. Granted, you're telling me that Euro are more into buying garbage rap CD for 150. Are you on crack bro'?
    You even said yourself :
    logic would dictate that not too many white people were into Handyman in '96
    what kind of logic is that?? So in 96, when white people started to buy hip-hop like there's no tomorrow and like they created that shit, Handyman had a black fan base. Ok. Let's imagine. It dont change my statement. Today, his fans from 96 are dead, and the only people that can seriously hunt down this CD are white kids who fantasize about Gangsta Rap and his Golden age. I've never seena grown ass serious dude listening to that kind of shit in 2007. 207 is the key word.
    And you really need to check the global stats, not your stats, if you want to elaborate on how Euro ballers got more doe than American ballers. Last time i checked, ballin' was US.A. favorite sport. Give back to Ceasar what belongs to him. Or to Jim Jones...Whatever.

The ocassional correspondance I've had with the American customers would lead me to believe that many of them are revisiting shit, replacing tapes or lost cds that they can no longer get in stores (kids). Often the buyers reside in the general area of the albums release - Houston rap sells well to TX/LA/OK, bay shit goes Northern Cal/oregon/seattle a lot, etc. I can't make a definitive call on whether they "sound white"
    i know you dont want to admit it. So you "believe", "tend to think", but i say it for you my friend : they are white. Mostly. It's not controversial. It's logic, as you said...It's a matter of proportions. OR MAYBE it's Handyman's family trying to regroup what's left. In that case, i could be wrong. But that would makes the buyers American. Not Euro.

To conclude, we can work around the angles. Rich white kids was exagerated. Rich man without melanin tend to hunt down garbage gangsta rap CDs...and they are canadians. No?

Wow.

Best post in a minute, although perhaps not for the reasons izm intended.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Informations can really be devastating

Informations can really be devastating

Last time i checked, ballin' was US.A. favorite sport.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I need this.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

"Imagine yourself in the South Bronx and a van full of African-American males yell at you, RESPOND!"

LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

THIS THREAD HAS REACHED EPIC PRO PORTIONS OF J IZM NESS
    SINISTER SONNY
    HOLD EM DOWN SOUTH BX'

Thx faux, im just trying to exercise my english right here, im not trying to make sense. But it seems like people dont like reverse psychology. Never mind. The bad side of all those comical responses is that some people may actually think some truth hav been revealed. The only truth in this thread reside in my german reply and this :

And noz, all bullshit apart, i do have a detector to make the difference between garbage rap cds and good ones. I'll entertain you about it if you want. But thats a 10pager...lol.

• Pierre n'nem

i was almost pissing on myself when i read that. I will re-use Pierre N'nem if that's not yet copyrighted...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    And noz, all bullshit apart, i do have a detector to make the difference between garbage rap cds and good ones. I'll entertain you about it if you want. But thats a 10pager...lol.

please do. i have a full clip of s and s awaiting your reply.

• nessness 249 Posts
    all bullshit apart, i do have a detector to make the difference between garbage rap cds and good ones.

izm man no disrespect but this is no different then what we already do.

don't get it fucked up we ain't tastemakers on here. we just have taste in common.

these dude's like what they do get it how they live.

FIVE STARS!

Casper is my shyt. Dont disrespect. Funny coincidence is that i used to say "i glow in the dark" when people used to ask me what color i was. And, noz , i may sound white. But im not racist. My wife is. She turned me into that animal. I'm sorry you feel offended. With that said, now that i think about it, i don't like Whites in general but can aapreciate some in particular. The rest, i have no problem with. Oh yea, Germans and Turkish (if i had to pick nationalities instead of race) are not in my book of rhymes. But shyt happens. You're not entitled to love the whole world. Face it.

Ness, thx for the advice. I quickly go back to lurker mode usually. Don't worry. It's just temporary. And FYI, i cant get caught in the game. I'm in the game. It's almost like i AM the game. Don't worry...I'll handle this dudes even if they come in numbers. This is Spaaaaaaaaaarta.

• wow

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    wow

Seriously.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    wtf?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HANDYMAN-THE-ADVENTU...1QQcmdZViewItem

tons of stuff like this in the over $100 range?

You should have kept all that shit you were sellin at Music Menu. "Aye fool, I need that Little Bruce". I actually have done pretty good with the stuff I bought at a distributor in the yay over the summer. I'm sittin on quanitity of some raer cd's and tryin not to flood the market. 80% of the 100 and over purchasers are from Europe. Germany goes hard with the random gangster rap. Why Hans in Dusseldorf will by a Fly Nate cd for 60 bucks I can't call it. Its some collectro.

A dude I played baseball with in high school has a collectible g rap cd that came out in 96. Gotta get some copies from him. Is that "sourcing"?

I'm saying though! I had about 95% of these cds when they came out. I couldn't give the shit away, it was crap then and probably still is! Lol.......But there was some dope shit like Totally Insane and the Vontel is bananas and so is Bookie. There is some seriously dope slept on west coast indi rap shit. But this shit amazes me beyond belief. I think the Kil cd was from Seattle. makes me wanna find this 12" I used to see piles of at every local record store of two white guys with bandanas in a 5.0 called Sonic from Seattle! That's probably selling now. I wonder what they are doing these days?