What is with high priced really bad 90's rap cds?!

DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
wtf?http://cgi.ebay.com/HANDYMAN-THE-ADVENTU...1QQcmdZViewItemtons of stuff like this in the over $100 range?

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    wow. id say the cover is worth about that much.

but yeah ive been noticing this too. im sure we'll all understand someday. and kick ourselves.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    This is mostly a Japanese and European deal right?
    If so I think it pretty much explains itself, no?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Now that hip hop is dead i think they're getting into it alot more overseas. Thats usually how things go.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    so it has to be west coast g funk from a small label with poor distribution

the new funk 45 craze replacement

• tij1natij1na 14 Posts
    not just an overseas thing. Plenty of Canadians and Americans in the high bidding CD game

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Damn I need to start dealing in this market. That is outrageous, especially considering the wax on most of that stuff is dollar-bin material.

• tij1natij1na 14 Posts
    Damn I need to start dealing in this market. That is outrageous, especially considering the wax on most of that stuff is dollar-bin material.

most of this shit selling for big bucks was either never printed on wax, nor would the customers be interetsted in them on wax.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    handyman is the G.O.A.T. y'all sleepin! at that price it's a bargain.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    It boggles the mind (right, like I would say "boggles" in normal conversation.)

I don't know why it's happening, but it is true that a lot of Japanese and European collectors are getting them, for what reason I don't know. This is the type of stuff most people threw out a day after the release, where production is not too good, the covers look as if they were taken with a Kodak portable, and it's fairly lo-fi. It will be good for any of us who may still have some of it in storage, not wanting to depart with it for whatever reason, but now it's LO-FI RAER.

Maybe it's the artists themselves trying to unload their music. If it can't sell on CDBaby, maybe it will work with a $300 price tag.

A year or two ago, when there was a buzz that Tower was going to close, Tower.com had that massive 99 cent hip-hop CD sale. The majority of them were of Cali artists. I wonder if someone bought a huge amount, and are trying to sell them for $100 a pop.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    It boggles the mind (right, like I would say "boggles" in normal conversation.)

I don't know why it's happening, but it is true that a lot of Japanese and European collectors are getting them, for what reason I don't know. This is the type of stuff most people threw out a day after the release, where production is not too good, the covers look as if they were taken with a Kodak portable, and it's fairly lo-fi. It will be good for any of us who may still have some of it in storage, not wanting to depart with it for whatever reason, but now it's LO-FI RAER.

Maybe it's the artists themselves trying to unload their music. If it can't sell on CDBaby, maybe it will work with a $300 price tag.

A year or two ago, when there was a buzz that Tower was going to close, Tower.com had that massive 99 cent hip-hop CD sale. The majority of them were of Cali artists. I wonder if someone bought a huge amount, and are trying to sell them for $100 a pop.

You guys have no idea what you are talking about.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    I guess people who were into Be Bop probably had the same misconception about70's jazz.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    How much is Ahmad going for?

75 cents

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    ahem, y'all need a Euro check on that...Japanese may actually buy some of those CDs. Ok. But Euro, y'all go it wrong. You will maybe find some avid euro g-funk collector (i know some) but they look for the nice shyt. Like Kokane, ATL, Easy E, etc...They look out for the real classics, not some
    First off, the purchase power in Euro contries is really low compared to a regular average US/Canada/Japan collector. So they wont loose dollars on some homemade shit. Im not trying to be the devil's advocate. Im not saying Euros are the shit. Far from that actually...But let it be known that they usually dont buy such crap even tho' you may find a couple. Now if you wanna know who is raising the price of those CDs that even us dont know about, i can tell you : rich white kids. They grew up being fascinated with anything related to Gangsta rap. Anything from the West Coast. They got little tats, an amazing DVD collection where Boyz In The Hood is top shelf. So spend 150 on that, it takes a certain type of individual. Takes some guts...shit. It takes some ignorance too. I know one thing for a fact : ignorance is everywhere. It's actually funny to read John thinking that because it takes ignorance to spend 150, it's gotta be euro or japanese. Sorry to say it, but ignorance have no nationalty. I met "her" in every continent i went to. So, to be more accurate with what was said above, let's just agree that rich white kids would do that. Blame it on the Whites. It may hurts some egos, but that's a closer to the Truth than "Euros and Japs are buying those".

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

First off, the purchase power in Euro contries is really low compared to a regular average US/Canada/Japan collector.

That's rich.

rich white kids.

I don't think they are "kids" and most of them are not exactly "rich," either.

I'm not sure where all the contempt is coming from. People buying this stuff are music obsessives, just like everyone on this board--nothing more.

Blame it on the Whites

you sound white

First off, the purchase power in Euro contries is really low compared to a regular average US/Canada/Japan collector.

That's rich.

He said purchasing power--not bidding power.

It's not as if Pierre n'nem actually pay for those modern soul terds they win.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

That's rich.

I've never had a chargeback, but I'd estimate 60% AT LEAST of my online business is to Europe, regardless of genre.

That said, I don't sell rare rap CDs. Perhaps the one Noz can shed light on whether his clientele consists mainly of "rich white kids".

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Yeah I'm not sure you can really pin down the market, I wouldn't put it all on foreigners but I also wouldn't exclude them. Whoever it is has way too much money on their hands though, and some pretty poor taste, though who am I to judge, cause there's a lot of collector shit in all genres that I find unlistenable. Anyone bidding on such an item while residing in California has no clue what they're doing, because stuff like this is a dime a dozen for the most part.

Whoever it is has way too much money on their hands though, and some pretty poor taste

Please name the $100+ rap CDs that you have actually listened to.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    how much will my copy of Domino's cd go for

how much will my copy of Domino's cd go for

Ill trade w/ u.

That's rich.

I've never had a chargeback, but I'd estimate 60% AT LEAST of my online business is to Europe, regardless of genre.

Yes, but those are good records.

As the man explained to us, Europeans have just enough money to spend it on quality music, but not enough to waste it on bad music.

• g-man stan makes slaps and rides a harley

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    THE PEOPLE WHO ARE BUYING THIS STUFF ARE THIS GUY HERE:

http://ballerzcrib.blogspot.com/

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,916 Posts
    The collectro appeal of this shit seems fairly self-evident to me. First of all, it's probably rare, inasmuch that it's unlikely to have been pressed in large quantities and, because it's not on a major label, it's less likely to have ended up as landfill. It's the kind of thing that generally gets overlooked by vinyl purists and people chasing mint condition copies of Vic Juris, but what these cats are passing on could quite easily turn out to be some kind of future equivalent of moder soul private press bloodshitter uber-raer. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people copping this shit are collectors with an eye on the long game, but the market for it could just as easily be people with a thing for regional hip-hop.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    damn, faux got it all good...i never tought you would agree with me on this forum...LOL. Im not saying Euros dont buy. Jonnhy, if you ask Julian, 98% of his clientele is euro!!!LOL

And the "white" thing is a shortcut. But just for y'all infos again, the proportion of Whites in Euro countries may vary from y'all are used to. You will NOT find a black kid on ebay bidding for 150 a gansgta-garbage CD. No. I guarantee that. A white one, you may if you hunt him down. It's matter of statictics. There's no Black middle-class in France for example. Maybe the son of the Nigerian Ambassador is going on the Net hunting bad rap CDs. That is possiblity. But statistically speaking, it don't make sense. So your views on how "anyone" could purchase such a cd wont work here. Now i know Euros have a bad rep as far as payments and shipments. But that's another problem.

regional hip-hop.