Keb Darges Rocakbilly fetish

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Every night is bowling night! And don't forget to store your smokes in yer t-shirt

in Detroit guys with this look are called "Fonzies"

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    This thread reminds me of a dude who came to visit NY in December from suburban California. He had a very strict uniform of wife-beater under a bowling shirt under a teddy boy jacket, none of which offer any protection from the windchill. He suffered for his art until the last day when he gave in and borrowed a woolly sweater. Still couldn't mess his hair up with a hat though. He looked cool with a cig hangin out the side of his mouth though... like James Dean... hang on am I being homoerotic????

• I know quite a few people who adopted a rockabilly lifestyle

Please elaborate.

$400 vintage Levi's, digging for pre-Korean war boxer shorts and doing your yard work with antique lawnmowers.

Austin is a hotbed for these people.

Every night is bowling night! And don't forget to store your smokes in yer t-shirt

too ethnic!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    In the late eighties and early nineties, Whitfield was touring like nobody's business and came through often. I was friends with him briefly - I still have this mix tape he made for me back in 1992 that had everything from vintage country to lost garage nuggets to the extended album version of the Honey Cone's "Want Ads" to some unknown bar band in 1979 playing "Yakety Yak." Insanely nice guy, wouldn't mind reigniting the friendship.

I think you would really like his most recent
    project, the Mercy Brothers - he's gone country
    all the way, this time!

Check it:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=92024066

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Visions of The Majestic dance through my head...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    in DC guys with this look get laughed at.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This thread reminds me of a dude who came to visit NY in December from suburban California. He had a very strict uniform of wife-beater under a bowling shirt under a teddy boy jacket, none of which offer any protection from the windchill. He suffered for his art until the last day when he gave in and borrowed a woolly sweater. Still couldn't mess his hair up with a hat though. He looked cool with a cig hangin out the side of his mouth though... like James Dean... hang on am I being homoerotic????

Ah, fall of 1994, during what would have been my senior year of high school, I was attending Georgia State University and this was an exceedingly popular look amongst dudes that hung out in the courtyard there.

I didn't really know that anybody was still doing it, though.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    you guys make rockabilly sound way more interesting than it probably is

i could stand to not go to another 'funk night' for a couple years

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

You seem built for the rockabilly lifestyle.

They like pointy shoes, right?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I can funk w/ some Rockabilly shit. And I like the idea of throwin it in w/ Funk but its a real delicate thing to be mixing up.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Like any other kind of music, there is good and bad. The wider you define it, the more good stuff their is. Thus if you think Ray Charles Green Back Dollars (or what ever the title is) counts, then there is a lot more good rockabilly. If you say it has to have a hicup vocal, slapping up right bass, echo on everything and fast then your choices for really good rockabilly get right small.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    would The Cramps - All Tore Up be considered rockabilly?
    thats a great song.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

You seem built for the rockabilly lifestyle.

They like pointy shoes, right?
    funk is something you do

rockabilly is something you live

thats a great song.

Psychobilly

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    well heres something to listen to:

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    thats a great song.

Psychobilly

different branch on the same tree

naw, dude, rockabilly is worth the hype.

when done RIGHT.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    hell, even the Rockabilly dudes have some funky business...Billy Lee Riley has a 45 on Mojo called "Southern Soul"...funky organ and guitar business...pretty raw.

That said, for the most part , the 'billy gets on ma nerves.

• you guys make rockabilly sound way more interesting than it probably is

when done RIGHT.

You sound Finnish!

(For some reason, Rockabilly is massively popular in Scandinavia, especially Finland.)

• I saw Keb spin at Jo Jos a month ago in London and I liked what I heard. The usual classics mixed up with some good sisterfunk, rockabilly and a lot of soulful stuff in general. I really enjoyed it.

Dress

If you say it has to have a hicup vocal, slapping up right bass, echo on everything and fast then your choices for really good rockabilly get right small.

I could name ten good songs I consider rockabilly that don't have the hiccup vocals and echo that people always stereotype the genre with.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    It used to take me ages to do my hair every morning when I was trying to be rockabilly, since I don't do that style so often anymore I find I have an extra 30m every morning, it's great. I still have a grip of bowling shirts though & rolled up Levis. I don't think I even own a comb anymore. I think I sold out. I still have (& still occaisionally buy) the records though. I also just bought a bunch of classic 50's B-Grade hot rod/biker gang/juvenile delinquent DVDs. Fun.

• some people jus don't get it.

Music.

What the f**k?

This forum is supposed to be based on the roots of hip hop.

Digging, scratchin, mixing.

The most honest DJ's are the ones who scratch and mix from the inspiration they find from anywhere.

Rockabilly.

Who gives a fuck?

Bad Tunes.

I give a fuck.

Keb Darge can whip arse.

Make bootys shake fast.

Only heard him once live but the man is what a lot of people would like to be.

A master at the game.

get real. find shit. play the fukker. and destroy the floor.

b-boys live forever.

peace.......

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

when done RIGHT.
    You sound Finnish!

(For some reason, Rockabilly is massively popular in Scandinavia, especially Finland.)

Ready, set, go...

There were some cool rockabilly dudes at Edison High School the year I went there. Beyond fashion and vintage autombiles, one dude was a Speedway motorcyclist...that opened up with no brakes ish. These rockabilly dudes were all great at baseball, but each of them had such a James Dean thing going that they were always in conflict with their coaches.

Jeff Kent was there at Edison during this time, and while he wasn't a rockabilly dude, he did wind up quitting the baseball team and not even playing his entire senior season, simply because he disagreed with his coach's decision to move him from shortstop to...wait for it... second base. He had hit .500 his junior year and already locked up a full ride to Cal, so he was like...fug it.

Edison High was both cliquish and crazy. This was 85-86. ASP surfers, CIF jocks, punkers, stoners, mods, Madonnabes, new wavers, rednecks, rockabilly's, all distinct and at times staging brawls against each other in the Naugles parking lot on Brookhurst.

If you read many books that cover the story of LA punk, Edison High is consistently blamed for bringing closemindedness and violence into what was originally intended to be an artsy kumbaya androgenous fuckfest. Jack Grisham of TSOL tells some rather bloodily insane stories from Huntington Beach from around 80-82.

I don't know who caught that photo from the 86 OP Professional Surf Contest that turned into a riot with several police cars flipped and torched right on the beach near the pier. Anyway, that riot shit basically became a yearly tradition in HB and sure enough when I spent the summer of 94 there, police cars were indeed flipped and torched on Main Street.

Testosterone was such a priority at Edison that I knew a soccer player who got recruited to kick field goals for the football team and his new football coaches immediately started pestering him in a hardcore manner to start juicing up like the rest of the team. The year I was at Edison the track team was like 5 deep with dudes who could shotput over 50 feet. Here's some eye-popping analysis on one of them...

Kaleaph Carter - Edison
    Freshmen record with #12 - 55'9"
    Soph record with #12 - 60'11"
    and that was while running sub 15 in the high hurdles and sub 50 in the 400 and running a relay. I could not get him into the discus until late into his junior year and then he got 2nd at state his senior year at 186' plus being State Champ at 64' in the shot. I think he would have thrown much farther if he had not done all the running events if only because we could not put any weight on him he only weighd about 195lbs his senior year. Plus if I had known anything about the spin at the time I think he would have thrived on it. The same with weightlifting since he had a 245 power snatch and a 335 power clean and push jerk I think he could have been a big time Olympic lifter.

I played freshman football at Edison and since one week I won player of the week honors, I got to go with the varsity team and hold wires or dumb some shit. Anyway the game I did happened to be at Anaheim Stadium against Fountain Valley and there were like 30,000 people there. I only bring this up because before the game in the locker room, all the players were normal as could be, then just before warm ups the coaches called them all into some secret chamber to do...wait for it..."The Cube". And next thing you know these 50 Magnus Van Harvey Oswalds come out of their cell to crush crush crush crush crush. Incidentally, Anaheim Stadium is now called Edison Field.

Seems like I remember Scott Weiland's little brother whooping some kid's ass at some point. Also seems like I remember him with a black eye. He was kinda leaning towards being a rockabilly dude, but definitely hedging his bets with each of the new wavers, punkers, and surfers. Meanwhile his big brother Scott fronted a Depeche Duran outfit and sang with the school choir. I've got video of Scott's girlfriend from back then bragging about Scott going on to become a bigshot rock star.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/binary/1f5cd152/music_TCB-24878.jpeg

• The most honest DJ's are the ones who scratch and mix from the inspiration they find from anywhere.

Real talk right there y'all.

The most honest DJ's are the ones who scratch and mix from the inspiration they find from anywhere.

Real talk right there y'all.

Is Keb Darge a "scratch/mix" guy?

I'm no hip-hop fan...funk and rockabilly are closer to where I'm at musically, and that's how I know him, so he'll always be this cool funk-a-billy DJ to me. Never heard of him referred to in rap terms before.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Rocabilly is gay.

just wanted to state that again for the record.

• Keb is not a hiphop mix dj or anything like that. He spins and usually talk in between the songs.

Dress

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Rocabilly is gay.

just wanted to state that again for the record.

... and what would your response be to somebody
    coming into a rap thread just to post:

"hip hop is gay. just wanted to get that out there"

Exactly - you would think they were a loser.

Do the math.