Weekend Finds. Can I Start This One?

kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
Haven't posted any of my finds in a long time but just felt like it today for some reason.Found a nice stack of hip hop and early 80s 12"s on a house buy this afternoon. This is the first Coup release, before they were signed to Wild Pitch, still sealed. Hate to ask, but is this worth much/anything?Found a few of these, also still sealed. If anyone needs one just PM me. I'll probably post a soundclip in the sales section in a little while. Dope song.Didn't know these guys had tried a comeback. I guess this EP flopped big time but listening to it now, it's not bad.(Ch*is*in*, if you're reading this, don't worry, this has your name on it)Got this in the mail earlier in the week (e-digging has its priviledges )Couple flea market digs. Rick Smith is pretty good modern soul.

Comments

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    sunny all week in the bay, where the hell did this rain today come from?

nothing today, so here's what i got during the week's dollar bin raiding:

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    This is the first Coup release, before they were signed to Wild Pitch, still sealed. Hate to ask, but is this worth much/anything?

i paid ~$30 for a copy a few years back, probably has escalated in recent times but there's never really been a huge collectors market for coup vinyl.

weird radioactivity. i wonder if that's a pre-sutra pressing or just a boot.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Purrkur Pilnikk - Googooplex 2LP

Long time Icelandic post-punk want, finally.

• This is the first Coup release, before they were signed to Wild Pitch, still sealed. Hate to ask, but is this worth much/anything?

i paid ~$30 for a copy a few years back, probably has escalated in recent times but there's never really been a huge collectors market for coup vinyl.

weird radioactivity. i wonder if that's a pre-sutra pressing or just a boot.

Thanks for the info on the Coup. Pretty much assumed the Radioactivity was the OG, before the Sutra issue. (edit: just double checked the Freddy Fresh book and it is indeed the 1st issue).

• sniffinsniffin 18 Posts

I went to a country farm estate auction yesterday, and was suprised to see this one box of 60's picture sleeve 45s & 2 boxes of 80's euro techno and trance 12s amongst the farm tackle and tractors. Later, I learned that it was a father/son collection, the 45s were the Dad's and were a mix of Euro, Canadian garage, and some surf/instrumental. All of them were in nice condition. The Son's were mostly 80's hi-nrg, techno, electro and new wave, mostly forgettable but with a few keepers.
    The 45 worked out to less than $0.10 apiece:
    TOM NORTHCOTT - The Rainmaker / Cities make the Country Colder - folk-psych, arranged by Jack Nitzsche, produced by Lenny Waronker
    WILBERT HARRISON Let's Work Together pts. 1 and 2 - 1969, produced by Juggy Murray
    DANNY HUTTON Big Bright Eyes / Monster Shindig pt.2 - flip is a nice mod soul teen beat
    SIR DOUGLAS QUINTET Bacon Fat / The Rains Came
    DIAMOND JOE - How To Pick A Winner / Wait A Minute Baby - Allen Toussaint wrote and arranged both cuts, Sehorn-Toussaint produced
    INEZ ANDREWS and the ANDREWETTES - Let's Serve the Lord / Stranger in the City
    PRESTON EPPS - Bongo Bongo Bongo / Hully Gully Bongo
    STIMMUNGS RAKETEN - Hier singt jeder mit - Picture Sleeve Cover
    The Scaffold - Thank U Very Much / I'de Be the First
    YEAR OF THE CAT - Picture Sleeve Cover, 1970 Arctic Cat Snowmobile music promo, sunshine pop vocals
    TOMMY JAMES and the SHONDELLS - Say I Am (What I Am) / Lots of Pretty Girls - mod soul
    THE KINGMEN - Killer Joe / Little Green Thing
    CANNIBAL and the HEADHUNTERS Land of 100 Dances / I'll Show You How To Love Me
    THE WAILERS - On The Rocks / Mashi - 1959 proto-punk rock garage
    THE WAILERS - Dirty Robber / Hang Up - as above, but better
    THE WARD SISTERS B-a-t-h-u-r-s-t / DEREK KNOWLES Bathurst - 1973 Bathurst, New Brunswick festival
    THE SEEDS Mr. Farmer / No Escape
    DIE NORDWINDS So briet ist der Missouri - Picture Sleeve Cover, German roackabilly skiffle
    MEDIUM-TERZETT Ein Loch ist im Eimer - 5 track EP, Picture Sleeve Cover
    THE STANDELLS - Dirty Water / Rari
    FLOYD SMITH Soul Strut / Getting Nowhere Fast - nice funky soul
    THE NOCTURNALS - Because You're Gone / Can It be True - Edmonton, garage punk
    THE NOCTURNALS - Do What You Want / Detroit - Edmonton, garage punk
    THE SHADOWS - Guitar Tango / Driftin' - European, Picture Sleeve Cover
    LADI GEISLER Guitar Tango / Zwei Guitarren - European, Picture Sleeve Cover
    NABIL & the SAVANNAHS Karibuni Kenya / No More Joy No More Fun
    THE RAINBOWS Balla Balla / ju Ju Hand - European, Picture Sleeve Cover
    THE BOOTS - Gloria / Walkin' In the Sand - European, Picture Sleeve Cover, best cover of Gloria I've heard
    THE CHECKMATES - Proud Mary / Spanish Harlem - European, Picture Sleeve Cover
    THE ROCKING GHOSTS - Vilja, oh Vilja / Lady of Spain - European, Picture Sleeve Cover
    MISSISSIPPI - Do It / Pussycat - European, Picture Sleeve Cover
    THE MERRY-GO-ROUND - Live / Time Will Show The Wiser
    THE NUTTY SQUIRRELS - Uh! Oh! pts. 1 & 2
    THE FIREBALLS - Bottle of Wine / Can't You See I'm Crying
    PAUL REVERE and the RAIDERS - Ups and Downs / Leslie
    LORNE GREENE - Bonanza / Ringo
    CRAZY ELEPHANT - Gimmie Gimmie Good Lovin' / Hips and Lips
    THE SEEDS - Pushin' Too Hard / Try To Understand
    BOB DYLAN - Highway 61 Revisted / Can I Please Crawl out Your Window
    BOB DYLAN - Like A Rolling Stone / Gates of Eden
    SISTER JANET MEAD - The Lord's Prayer / Brother Sun and Sister Moon
    TECHNIQUES - Hey Little Girl / In A Round About Way
    FREDDIE HART - Easy Lovin' / GEORGE McCRAE - Rock Your Baby
    THE ESSEX - Are You Going My Way / Easier Said Than Done
    ZAUBERSTAB - Zaza - European, Picture Sleeve Cover
    PETER MAFFAY Lazy Daisy / Du bist anders - European, Picture Sleeve Cover
    BUDDY HOLLY - Rock Around with Ollie Vee / I'm Going To Love You Too
    BILL DEAL and the RHONDELS - May I / Day By Day My Love Grows Stronger

These next ones are just European (mostly German) picture sleeves (all mint), sadly their 45s are long missing:
    MICHEL POLNAREFF - La Poupee Qui Fait Non
    ANDRE BRASSEUR - Early Bird / Special-230
    THE LORDS - Gipsy Boy / Coco-Cat-Love
    SAM THE SHAM and the PHAROAHS - Wolly Bully / Ain't Gonna Move
    THE SHADOWS - generic picture sleeve, x3 copies
    NANCY & FRANK SINATRA - Somethin' Stupid / I Will Wait For You
    ROY BLACK - Meine Liebe zu dir , HELLO - Let It Rock
    THE SHAMROCKS - Cadillac / A Mountain Of Silver
    WHISTLING JACK SMITH - I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman / The British Grin and Bear
    BEACH BOYS - Sloop John B / You're So Good To Me
    THEM Mystic Eyes / if You and I Could Be As Two
    NANCY SINATRA - You Only Live Twice / Jackson
    THE "IN" CROWD - Sha-la-la-la-lee / Old McDonald
    THE KINKS - You Really Got Me / It's All Right
    CLIFF RICHARD Es ist nicht gut / The Day I Met Marie
    ROLLING STONES - Satisfaction / The Under Asssistant
    BEATLES - Paperback Writer / Rain
    BEATLES - early German generic picture sleeve.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

"Beat-Line of Today" is a pretty cool 1971 Czechoslovakian
    pressed compilation featuring a number of bands, almost
    all singing in english, lots of covers of soul/rock hits and a
    few originals - Vladimir Misik and the Blue Effect is dope blues
    psych, Hana Ulrychova & Atlantis are a Shocking Blue/Airplane
    styled psych act with female vocals, etc ... Can is OG German press.

More Berberian heat is always welcome. "Early Chicago" is
    a compilation on Happy Tiger from the early 70's (pre-Nuggets!)
    of some mid-60's Chicago garage/beat/psych classics, a nice find.

Boogaloo in Boston? Almost unheard of! A somewhat worn but
    much appreciated OG of the Lebron Bros from Ch***o's for a
    fiver, and the Freddie Rodriguez has a couple of totally killer
    boogaloo and Latin soul tracks, from Re*d at IYE for under a sawbuck.

Word to KitchenKnight and TJ on the Marc Aryan hook-up, very
    cheap, common and totally killer soul 2-sider from Major Lance
    on Dakar, funky blues on Excello from Jimmy Dawkins.

Couple of more recent releases from JA legends, and the
    sounds were surprisingly satisfying - I'm feeling the digital
    roots style of the Freddie McGregor.

Couple more, older, reggae jams, and the deepest of soul from JC.

• Damn, SoI, nice pickups. That Lebron Bros. is a serious score around here, and a favorite of mine.

That Disco Gold is good, too...Patti Jo, "Make Me Believe in You," on there, no?

Patti Jo, "Make Me Believe in You," on there, no?

yep.

The Freddie Rodriguez was one of those records
    that Re*d was basically like "it's yours, but you'll
    have to wait 2 months before I'll sell it to you,"
    and he finally let it go yesterday. Great album.

In fact, check PM's.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    a daytrip to nyc turned out to be very fruitful

and

at a flea market in brooklyn. not a dollar bin miracle, but still cheap.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    ok, bigdog, spill the motherfuckin beans.....

on that

at a flea market!!!!?!?!?!?!?

and just maybe

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    well perhaps cheap isn't the right word. it was a good price for it, although side 1 is defective or something so it plays with some surface noise. under 2 bills.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

and just maybe

that's my thumb and my bright rainbow carpet homie.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    well perhaps cheap isn't the right word. it was a good price for it, although side 1 is defective or something so it plays with some surface noise. under 2 bills.

Was this "a fleamarket in Brooklyn" or "the 'fleamarket' in Brooklyn that happens to house R*dney's Wall of Raer"?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    man../if that stark reality came from r*dney...!!!

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    man../if that stark reality came from r*dney...!!!

yes, that was dude.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

Actually found a dub record in Texas. And it's pretty damn good. Ring modulated Roots Radics =

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    $1.50 at the thrift got me:

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    Sadly Vol 1 has all the heat
    2,3,4,5,and 6 are all sloppy left overs

never pictured rey to be rolling through thrift stores.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    i'm guessing the whole of chicago was diggin at the WLUW show, so i instead hit up some local fav's...

copped a record called 'how to be a better salesman' to use for my next mixtape..

that is all.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I just got back from a weeks forced vacation a couple days ago, had some surgery on my stomach, (no stapling or breast reduction as one of my friends nicely put it), got pretty messed up coming off the anasthetic, memory loss for a few hours & I was mixing up numbers & letters for about 5 days afterwards. My girlfriend didn't see the funny side when I didn't remember her & kept asking for my ex-wife. Fun times. Anyways, all better now & I had a week staying with my parents, which was nice. Did some record shopping.
    Picked up some LPs

Was happy to find Cross & Switchblade still in shrinkwrap for 10c, I wish the drums were fatter on that Living Brass plays Aretha LP, Bobbi is a white label promo 10c also, I had never seen that Alexis Korner in the flesh before, I have a Cyril Davies EP that is cool, but that R&B from the Marquee LP is awesome. Fortunately someone censored the inside of the gatefold of Daly Wilson's Greatest Hits by cutting most of it out.. Took a chance on the Wayne Berry & Mike Nesmith's because they were 30c each, pretty country from quick needle drops. The Tremeloes has a couple cool soul covers 'Cool Jerk', 'Too Many Fish In the Sea' & 'Running Out', great fuzz guitar breaks, underrated band IMO.
    Picked up a couple of cool gospel LPs, Greene Sisters & Willa Dorsey both have their moments, was happy to finally get Soul In The Horn for $2.
    45s

Most of these came from a 3000+ private collection I raided on my way back from holiday, should have been better than it was, at least I didn't have to buy the lot though, got about 90 out of 3000. Lots of local pressed 50s/60s R&B/Rock. There was more to photograph but I already gave the stuff I already had to my girlfriend.
    Probably the greatest score though was from Cash Converters where I picked up this excellent condition SL-1210M5G for $295, they usually retail for around $1400, possibly the find of a lifetime? Just in time too because I was one turntable down after one of my others kicked the bucket a few weeks back.

• A few more... combination thrift store, house buy, dodgy record show, antique stores, record store.

The Maceo is an original, assuming the Michael Prophet and Triston Palmer are represses but not positive.

A small portion of the 45s I got this weekend:

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I heard Fatback had the weekend find to end all weekend finds. I am sure he will post pictures later.

I heard Fatback had the weekend find to end all weekend finds. I am sure he will post pictures later.

PABLO HEAT?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

PABLO HEAT?

CTI + Milestone commons

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    never pictured rey to be rolling through thrift stores.
    Funny you should say that, as it was actually my dad--a frequent thrift store shopper--who found the records, bought them, and brought them to me as I sat relaxing, feet elevated, eating carrot cake, listening to Astral Weeks.

I heard Fatback had the weekend find to end all weekend finds

Actually, it appears that I am claiming that title tonight.

No Stark Reality flea finds or Fatback
    Creed Taylor raers are fucking with ICEMAN #4.

And, yes, ICEMAN #4 does include many appearances
    from the talking mainframe supercomputer "Mathilda"
    as well as the slaughter of around 275 Italian-Americans
    at the hands of ICEMAN.

shiiiiit, i never pictured you listening to astral weeks

i founf some things in the park by my house and at beautiful world syndicate...
    emotions- the joint on volt with the flowers
    temprees- the one with the hearts
    lamont dozier- the one with the break and the artifacts loop
    funkadelic- connections and disconnecttions- for the break...funny how it says "contains nothing produced by george clinton" on the back
    cool c "juice crew dis"
    superlover cee casanova rud "romeo"
    headhunters "survival of the fittest" (4 days after selling my own copy)
    southpaw- left hand rule...in the mail (rare cleveland hiphop)
    preacher earl and the ministry 12

and a handful of crappy 45s from a housecall to a west philly elta shack. place was so sad i felt obliged to give em some dough for 10 beatup copies of scorpio, delfonics, and other non playable non raer. karma will work it out