Draft Gore 2008? (NRR)

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
So I'm seeing rumblings and gossip about Al Gore possibly connected to the Green Party ticket for 2008. Again, there is no official connection as of yet, but it seems to be gaining momentum. I would love to see a third party emerge in the U.S. I feel like it's the only way to enact real change.I think a legitimate candidate, like Gore, (someone with actual high-level political experience) could be just the catalyst. Or would Gore just undermine the Democratic vote and get another Republican in office? Will we ever break free of the two-party system?

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Or would Gore just undermine the Democratic vote and get another Republican in office?

Yes.

And Gore must have fairly bitter feelings
    towards the Green Party, I would think. They
    could be seen as a big reason he was given the
    title of "professor" instead of "President."

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    So I'm seeing rumblings and gossip about Al Gore possibly connected to the Green Party ticket for 2008. Again, there is no official connection as of yet, but it seems to be gaining momentum. I would love to see a third party emerge in the U.S. I feel like it's the only way to enact real change.

I think a legitimate candidate, like Gore, (someone with actual high-level political experience) could be just the catalyst. Or would Gore just undermine the Democratic vote and get another Republican in office? Will we ever break free of the two-party system?

In general, I agree that eventually we need a third party (or more) to gain recognition and popularity, and that would help the polarized political situation we're in now. But seriously, if there ever was a time when this could really really wait, it is the next election.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    not happening. didnt he criticize nader for costing him the election?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    we need a third party (or more)

Yeah, I'd go with more than three, but you gotta start somewhere. And Al Gore for Green Party nominee in '08 equals President Mitt Romney. And ask any Massachusite - you don't want that absentee talking head for the next leader of the free world.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Gore's a douche. Who cares.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    3rd party is unneccessary

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    President Mitt Romney.

I don't think Romney's gonna get the GOP nomination. He's far too unliked by the hardcore Pubbies who make up the GOP caucus.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Gore's a douche. Who cares.

he messed it up the last time I voted for him, not gonna give hime a second chance to throw it.

• Gore on the Green ticket sounds like a rumour generated by a desperate GOP operative to somehow divide the vote. They are scared shitless that whoever their nominee turns out to be will get trounced in 2008. But I don't think there is even a remote chance that Gore would sabotage the Dems like that.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Gore on the Green ticket sounds like a rumour generated by a desperate GOP operative to somehow divide the vote. They are scared shitless that whoever their nominee turns out to be will get trounced in 2008. But I don't think there is even a remote chance that Gore would sabotage the Dems like that.

You totally underestimate this guy's ego.

• Gore on the Green ticket sounds like a rumour generated by a desperate GOP operative to somehow divide the vote. They are scared shitless that whoever their nominee turns out to be will get trounced in 2008. But I don't think there is even a remote chance that Gore would sabotage the Dems like that.

You totally underestimate this guy's ego.

That's certainly possible. If these rumours do prove to be true then it would be a strategic error of surreal proportions. Although bizarre things do sometimes happen. Does anyone else remember Kerry's pathetic overtures to try to recruit McCain as his V.P. last go around?

• 3rd party is unneccessary

True on paper.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    So I'm seeing rumblings and gossip about Al Gore possibly connected to the Green Party ticket for 2008. Again, there is no official connection as of yet, but it seems to be gaining momentum. I would love to see a third party emerge in the U.S. I feel like it's the only way to enact real change.

I think a legitimate candidate, like Gore, (someone with actual high-level political experience) could be just the catalyst. Or would Gore just undermine the Democratic vote and get another Republican in office? Will we ever break free of the two-party system?

The Greens best national showing was in 2000. Ralph Nader V Al Gore. The end result was Greens hate Gore, Gore hates Greens. Not a likely scenario, but what do I know?

Did anyone see Fahrenheit 911? I know a lot of people around here think that it was a big attack on the president from the Democrats. The movie's first 15 minutes or so are an all out attack on Al Gore. More than the Supreme Court it was Gore who gave the election to Bush. Maybe he will run. The GOP could nominate Laura or Jeb or Neal and he could give the election to Bush again.

As too the need for more parties. Yes. I have supported many 3rd party candidates in my day. The reason we do not have more parties is not that no one high profile have run. From WJ Bryant - Strom Thurmond - Barry Commoner - Ralph Nader there have been plenty of high profile 3rd party candidates.

The reason no 3rd party candidates are successful is because we have a 2 party, majority rule system. If we had a more democratic system, like the rest of the world, there would be lots of parties. Evangelicals could have party as well as anarchists. They would all have representation and be able to form ruling or opposition collations. That is what the rest of the world calls democracy.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

it was Gore who gave the election to Bush.

Probably the same as how Perot gave the election to Clinton.

Gore had his shot. Time to let Obama or someone else run.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    How can anyone talk about third party candidates after 2000 and the ensuing six years. It just blows my mind.

I think more parties would be a good kick in the ass for both parties, they would stop taking their base for granted, and they would be forced to strategize beyond just turnout. Unfortunately, this election is way too important a time to try and fine tune our democracy. Now is a time to loudly reject the last 6 years and reverse the deterioration of our standing in the world.

Also, Gore's got a lot of baggage. Rockadelic and others froth at the mere mention.

• How can anyone talk about third party candidates after 2000 and the ensuing six years. It just blows my mind.

3rd party is unneccessary

False dichotomy. Politics is not a true/false question.

Yes, third party candidates can split the vote of one of the two majority parties, and it's always the Democrats. Why? Because they've been the default Progressive Party for years, for want of a truly Progressive party. Yet, every time a reasonable third party candidate arises, that candidate pulls a few solid percentage points. It may not seem like much, but that only represents those who were willing to make a statement with their vote knowing full-well that the candidate would not win and that they may be helping the Republicans, yet felt that the statement was worth making anyway.

What we really need is campaign finance reform. Then you'll see new parties turning up every day.

• Yes, third party candidates can split the vote of one of the two majority parties, and it's always the Democrats.

It's not always the Democrats. Witness Ross Perot 1992.

Yes, third party candidates can split the vote of one of the two majority parties, and it's always the Democrats.

It's not always the Democrats. Witness Ross Perot 1992.

Good point. [irony]It's never wise to speak in absolutes.[/irony]

those who were willing to make a statement with their vote knowing full-well that the candidate would not win and that they may be helping the Republicans, yet felt that the statement was worth making anyway

I'd direct those people, and their defenders, to take a look at Iraq, Afganistan, the Supreme Court, the justice dept, New Orleans and on and on, and ask themselves, was that insignificant blip of a political statement worth it. Talk about cutting off the nose, your gonna hurt the guys you mostly agree with, because they don't go quite as far as you'd like in a tight national election?

Theres a time and place for idealism, but with Rove and co. out there, unfortunately, this aint it.

In 2000, me voting for Gore would not have changed a damn thing - even in 1972 when Nixon won 49 states, Massachusetts voted Democratic.

We knew Gore would take Massachusetts.

But 2004? I voted Gore. In the hope that Gore would once again win the popular vote. That way, if he again lost the election, there would be a pattern of electoral misrepresentation that might have helped generate enough public uproar to bring about the end of the electoral college.

THAT'S realpolitik.

But 2004? I voted Gore.

Too easy.

I hear you about being in a non swing state, just saying, overall, supporting these candidates is NAGL as far as real world consequences.

those who were willing to make a statement with their vote knowing full-well that the candidate would not win and that they may be helping the Republicans, yet felt that the statement was worth making anyway

I'd direct those people, and their defenders, to take a look at Iraq, Afganistan, the Supreme Court, the justice dept, New Orleans and on and on, and ask themselves, was that insignificant blip of a political statement worth it. Talk about cutting off the nose, your gonna hurt the guys you mostly agree with, because they don't go quite as far as you'd like in a tight national election?

Theres a time and place for idealism, but with Rove and co. out there, unfortunately, this aint it.

Bush did not win because of Nader.

Bush won because Gore chose not to stand up for the thousands of disenfrachised African American voters in Florida. Voters who were illegally purged from the voter roles. Voters who had their streets to their polling places blocked by state police. Voters who were given illegal butterfly ballots. All of this overseen by a political hack who was working for both Bush Election Committee and the acting as the Secretary of State of Florida. Gore never challenged any of those things. Gore reaped what he sowed. We are paying the price. And now you want me to vote for him as the Green Party Candidate? I don't think so.

And now you want me to vote for him as the Green Party Candidate? I don't think so.

Oh, hell no. I'm waiting to make a decision, but I'm feeling Obama right now. He has a reasonable demeanor, and he looks like he might have the support.

It's all about pragmatic decision-making. Get the most you can with what you got. I think the lawyers on this board can agree with that.

And now you want me to vote for him as the Green Party Candidate? I don't think so.

Oh, hell no. I'm waiting to make a decision, but I'm feeling Obama right now. He has a reasonable demeanor, and he looks like he might have the support.

It's all about pragmatic decision-making. Get the most you can with what you got. I think the lawyers on this board can agree with that.

I'm not big on pragmatic voting. Makes me feel dirty. But I'm not a lawyer.

I'm not a lawyer either. It's easy to talk ideals, but if you walk away at the end of the day with nothing, all it is is talk. Politically, I've been revolutionary and radical in my time. Now, I just want do the best I can with my vote. And if that means voting for "the lesser evil," so be it. I prefer to think of it as using my vote for the greater good.

Not that there is anything wrong with being a lawyer.

Not that there is anything wrong with being a lawyer.

Uh, um, no... of course not. Good folk, those lawyers. Salt of the earth. for litigation and jurisprudence... and whatnot.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Bush won because Gore chose not to stand up for the thousands of disenfrachised African American voters in Florida. Voters who were illegally purged from the voter roles. Voters who had their streets to their polling places blocked by state police. Voters who were given illegal butterfly ballots. All of this overseen by a political hack who was working for both Bush Election Committee and the acting as the Secretary of State of Florida. Gore never challenged any of those things. Gore reaped what he sowed. We are paying the price. And now you want me to vote for him as the Green Party Candidate? I don't think so.

of all things in Michael Moore's film, shining the light on Gore's cowardly, shameful behavior after the 2000 election was the hardest to stomach. It made me want to punch him in the face. What a piece of shit...I have never heard anyone explain to me what reason he may have had for practically silencing the black congresional caucus as they spoke in turn for the people who had been disenfranchised in Florida. One of the most sickening and underreported events in current history. What a disaster ...what a low low point for civil rights, the democratic party, our nation and global politics.