flattening warped records (RR)

SyminSymin 999 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
i know this was discussed not long ago, but nothing came up using the search tool.i remember someone mentioning a trick to flatten records using the oven. anyone please to refresh?i know you can use glass and a sunny day but its pretty chilly here and i got a warped scorpions record that is begging me to send it to the cooker.

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Johnny Paycheck has a record dewarper. I'm sure he'd fix it for a decent price.

DO NOT put it in the oven!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Johnny has a dewarping service so contact him

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    i found the scorpions in the dumpster
    and jonny paycheck is thousands of miles away.
    the oven is looking real good

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    shipping is not expensive
    the oven is almost guaranteed to ruin your record
    the choice is yours

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What your rate/charge/price?

1 record = 20

2-3 = 15/each

and so on.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    1 record = 20

2-3 = 15/each

and so on.

Cool

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    reporting that the oven does ruin your scorpions records

the pizza tin method failed me and now, sadly, regretfully, no scorpions.

it turned from 4 big waves to micro waves all around the record and the bottom took the texture of the pizza tin.
    jonny has the answers.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    reporting that the oven does ruin your scorpions records

the pizza tin method failed me and now, sadly, regretfully, no scorpions.

it turned from 4 big waves to micro waves all around the record and the bottom took the texture of the pizza tin.
    jonny has the answers.

dude, at least you did put the record in a glass sandwich, right?

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    no sandwich. i tried to do pizza pan till the record gets bendable (1min @ 200degrees Ferinheight) then pulling it out and holding a cold flat record (elton john's greatest hits) over it till it cools down.

Mistake 1: using a used dirty pizza pan
    + some others im sure

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    no sandwich. i tried to do pizza pan till the record gets bendable (1min @ 200degrees Ferinheight) then pulling it out and holding a cold flat record (elton john's greatest hits) over it till it cools down.

+ some others im sure

sounds like a fun experiment, you could always morph it into one of those bowls or pencil holders...

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    i was thinking about that.
    isnt there some microwave action used for this?

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    i was at the grocery store looking at 12" pizza pans just now.
    my idea was buy 2 new clean ones that stack and dont bend too easily and heating the record in one then pulling it out the oven and sandwich and cool. or sandwich in the oven with a weight over the top one.
    the pans were $5.79 each though so i passed.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    (elton john's greatest hits)

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    i didnt even think about that
    elton ruined yet another one of my ventures

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

+ some others im sure

OVEN METHOD FREE STYLE

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    OK, here's my secret. I know some people might laugh, but it works. Don't go the heat way. Put your record in a sandwich with other 2 records in your freezer for a week. Cryogenetics, dude. Unaltered grooves. Flat records. Thank me later.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    OK, here's my secret. I know some people might laugh, but it works. Don't go the heat way. Put your record in a sandwich with other 2 records in your freezer for a week. Cryogenetics, dude. Unaltered grooves. Flat records. Thank me later.

Are you serious? this works?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    KIDS, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I really hate it when my oven-pressed record skips over the imprint of a mushroom.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I was just doing some "research" on this topic the other day.
    Here some info that came from the Record Collectors Guild Message Board:

Dorks and their Warps

I'm gonna try this method tonight.
    Wish me luck.
    I'll give you all the lowdown later.

I was just doing some "research" on this topic the other day.
    Here some info that came from the Record Collectors Guild Message Board:

Dorks and their Warps

I'm gonna try this method tonight.
    Wish me luck.
    I'll give you all the lowdown later.

The "glass sandwich" method worked out pretty damn well. Took a seriously warped record and made
    it about 95% flat. Only rub is now the record tacks from side to side while spinning, but I couldn't detect
    any sound flaws so who cares. I even back cued and scratched with it and it never jumped the groove.
    I'm gonna try a couple more records tonight and see what happens.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    A local shop bought one of these flatteners -
    I was in there recently and the owner was showing
    me a copy of the Gaston S/T LP that this dude had
    tried to fix in the oven and done damage. They had
    tried "correcting" it with the machine but no dice.
    I guess if the thing was unplayably warped in the first
    place then no real harm, but it still kind of hurt to
    see such a nice album completely baked and melted.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the person it
    belonged to were a known head around here.

Experiment #2 also a success!
    98% flat, with a slight side to side wiggle when played.
    No skipping or jumping the groove.
    But that's on a 1200 with a heavy ass needle.
    On some other gear, who knows?
    I'll take these to my buddies house with a serious audiophile
    turntable and see how they do.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Remember that absolutely pristine-looking Mobile Fidelity copy of Katy Lied you found mixed in with all the Mitch Miller sing-a-longs and children???s Christmas records at that garage sale two years ago

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I dunno, the oven method still makes me a bit nervous. I have a few warpees that are waiting for the clamped sandwich treatment, but I'm going with the slowmo room temperature oven-free method. Supposedly takes months this way, but I'm in no hurry.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    oven method, underfloor heating, sun, usual heater aso - it??s all possible. You basically simply need a constant average temperature around 40-50 degrees (more will melt the records) and constant pressure on the complete record. Obviously a record flattener will do this in a safer way.

Ovens are often risky because the temperature controls are not precise. From my limited experience, it??s also very important to let the record cool slowly.
    Usually it??s a little hit and miss in the beginning, but that??s what turds are made for.

If the record is really fucked and you don??t want to let it go, heat the oven to 80 degrees, put it in for half a minute, take it out and create a nice little bowl or something like that: recycling at its best.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Yeah, I'm gonna try to find a spot that's just a wee bit warmer than room temperature. Warm, not hot. I'm thinking of putting the sandwich clamp in the boiler room in the basement, which is slightly warmer than our apartment.

Cpeetz - the side to side wobble is lopsided grooves. In the process of flattening the record you have expanded the groove to where it is not a perfect circle. This will cause flutter, pitch problems, and possibly skipping on sensitive decks. It is not a good thing.

If you do that to a valuable record it is no longer valuable.

I don't know why you guys insist on ruining your records. I have flattened so many of my records the machine has paid for itself. If you have a record that is worth money please do not put it in the oven or the microwave. That is foolish. Are you the same guys that clean your records with glue and tap water and shit? When I see collections like this I cry.

Cpeetz - the side to side wobble is lopsided grooves. In the process of flattening the record you have expanded the groove to where it is not a perfect circle. This will cause flutter, pitch problems, and possibly skipping on sensitive decks. It is not a good thing.

If you do that to a valuable record it is no longer valuable.

I don't know why you guys insist on ruining your records. I have flattened so many of my records the machine has paid for itself. If you have a record that is worth money please do not put it in the oven or the microwave. That is foolish. Are you the same guys that clean your records with glue and tap water and shit? When I see collections like this I cry.

We are talking about a couple hip hop 12"'s here so I'm not super worried.
    I took two unplayable records and made them playable. All for the cost of....
    Nothing. These two weren't worth the $30 plus shipping it would have cost to
    use your service. I've had so much fun heating up these two warped records I'm gonna
    heat up my entire collection just to make sure they are all 100% flat.

And as far as record cleaning goes, I have a special mixture of oil based paint, chewing gum,
    and sand. I've been using it for years, if anyone wants the exact recipe let me know.