Yanks or Mets? Cubs or Sox?

2»

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Yeah, but back the 80's cats were outrageous w/ the hatt, here around the Stadium. I like seein Boston Red Sox fans around here w/ the ice grill like "what, we just beat the shit outta you!"
    Are there Yankee-safe bars in Boston?

Man, I stayed at the Howard Johnson Express one time right around 177th on the 5 line. I was sporting my Sox cap, but I was ice grilling nobody. Fuck that - I like my teeth and I want to keep them.

And no bars spring to mind that cater to Yankee fans, but there's got to be one somewhere. We get so many college students from NY that there's probably something near BU or BC.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

There's a decent bar in the East 50's/Manhattan that I've been to a handful of times that is one the "RED SOX" bars in NYC. There's a couple of official Red Sox bars in Manhattan.

Yeah, every time the Sox play the Yanks in the playoffs, there's a local news story about a bar like that - probably the one you're refering to. I just go to a place around the corner from the Stadium. Despite a few assholes, the general reception for Sox fans is kinder at Yankee Stadium than the inverse. Dudes can be straight pricks to Yankee fans at Fenway.

Yeah, but back the 80's cats were outrageous w/ the hatt, here around the Stadium. I like seein Boston Red Sox fans around here w/ the ice grill like "what, we just beat the shit outta you!"
    Are there Yankee-safe bars in Boston?

The most offensive sports banner I've ever seen was one that hung in Madison Square Garden in the 70's on the regular when the Bruins were playing the Rangers.....it read...

"DEREK SANDERSON IS A FAGGOT"

The most offensive sports banner I've ever seen was one that hung in Madison Square Garden in the 70's on the regular when the Bruins were playing the Rangers.....it read...

Wow. Subtle, but it gets the point across.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

THOSE NY FUCKERS!!!!!!

They were just jealous - "Turk" Sanderson was the MAN.

In fact, my only other internet forum membership
    besides here & Waxidermy is on an NHL board, where
    my user name is "Cusick & Sanderson" named after
    the greatest broadcast team in NHL television history,
    play-by-play man Fred Cusick and ex-Bruin and all-time
    madman, Derek Sanderson.

I used to see Turk everyday when I was a bike courier -
    he worked in a downtown office and and could be found
    all day long standing outside smoking butts and kicking it
    to women half his age - he always gave me a salute, I with my
    big Bruins patch on my courier bag.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Can someone explain how- if at all- allegiance to one of these teams over the other in a two-team town breaks down according to where you live in the city/region, class, political party, etc.? Is there any science to it?

In Chicago, it's a North Side (Cubs) v. South Side (White Sox) thing. Most Sox fans acuse Cubs fans of "not really caring about the game" and being more interested in going to a Giant Beer Garden (aka Wrigley Field) to bang the beers with little interest in whether the Lovable Losers win.

Most Cubs fans thumb their noses at White Trash White Sox fans, as uncivilized and uneducated folk who more than likely might kick your ass and cut your throat for no real reason. Consider this prime example. This dude lived nnot all that far from my parents place (at least before he went to prison), and was arrested for beating up the first base coach of the KC Royals... with his 17-year-old son.

• tirefiretirefire 203 Posts
    white sox

fuck the yankees

when i was a kid i was a cubs fan, until i was about 10 and realized how much cheaper sox tickets were. plus the logo looked cooler, it was '93 and they were actually good (until the strike at any rate) and, of late, the cubs shit on their fans far too much for me to seriously consider being a fan

1994 was the strike year, with the Sox up a game over Cleveland and Big Frank already at .353/.487/.729 with 38 homers and 101 RBIs. Probably his greatest year ever.

1993 was the year that they won the AL West and lost in the ALCS to the Blue Jays (I cried). What a fantastic team though - Ventura, Thomas, Tim Raines, Lance Johnson, Pasqua, Bo Jackson, Jack McDowell, Wilson Alvarez, Roberto Hernandez, Thigpen.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    white sox

fuck the yankees

when i was a kid i was a cubs fan, until i was about 10 and realized how much cheaper sox tickets were. plus the logo looked cooler, it was '93 and they were actually good (until the strike at any rate) and, of late, the cubs shit on their fans far too much for me to seriously consider being a fan

1994 was the strike year, with the Sox up a game over Cleveland and Big Frank already at .353/.487/.729 with 38 homers and 101 RBIs. Probably his greatest year ever.

1993 was the year that they won the AL West and lost in the ALCS to the Blue Jays (I cried). What a fantastic team though - Ventura, Thomas, Tim Raines, Lance Johnson, Pasqua, Bo Jackson, Jack McDowell, Wilson Alvarez, Roberto Hernandez, Thigpen.

Haha -- all the true Sox fans claim that year as the one that got away. My fantasy team at work is actually called the Dan Pasqua Express.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

White Sox

Up next: Yankees.

Fall Back

White Sox

Fall Back

Seriously. You have a nice young team with a few possible future Hall-of-Famers, but the Twinkies aren't stepping to that level yet. And I'm a Sox fan saying that.

I feel a little dirty now.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    yankees vs. red sox, deciding which team i hate more is like my idea of a personal hell

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    ------------ R.I.P.

• White Sox

Fall Back

I knew it would happen. The Yankees, more than any other team, really have our number.

I was impressed with Ortiz's performance, at least. Best pitching staff.

Can't wait for the new stadium, speaking of which, I need to get to Yankee stadium before they blow it up. Same with Fenway.

I need to get to Yankee stadium before they blow it up. Same with Fenway.

Fenway doesn't look like it's going anywhere soon since the current owners have dropped serious cash into renovations, but get to Yankee Stadium. It's no Fenway, but it's one of the great ballparks.

I wish I had gotten to Tiger Stadium when I had a chance. How short was that right field porch, really?