Yanks or Mets? Cubs or Sox?

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
So, I'm a Red Sox fan. No surprise there, really. But what about you New Yorkers? Evil Empire or the Miracle Mets? And you Chicago.....ites? Cubbies or Black Sox?Of course, Red Sox trump all, but how does this sort of thing break down when you have two teams in your hometown?

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Any New Yorker or Chicagoan who claim they root for BOTH of their hometown baseball teams are not real baseball fans!!

I grew up in NY as a Mets fan.......Eff a Yankee!!!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

When I was a kid, the only baseball teams that were broadcast were the Phillies, Mets and Yankees. The Yanks were barely on TV and the Mets would be on at least twice a week, so I'm gonna ride for the Mets.

Oh yeah, this was back in the late 80's/early 90's when they had Strawberry, Gooden,
    HoJo, David Cone, etc,.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Oh yeah, this was back in the late 80's/early 90's when they had Strawberry, Gooden,
    HoJo, David Cone, etc,.

Oh, I remember that team quite well. '86. Mookie Wilson, etc.

But 20 years and one World Series championship later, and I ain't mad no more, doggie.

HoJo, David Cone, etc,.

The Mets had a first baseman in the minors at this time named Ronald McDonald....I patiently waited for a Howard Johnson to Ronald McDonald putout on the annual "Strawberry Sunday" promo day.....it never happened.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    FUCK THE METS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fake ass amalgamation of the Dodgers & Giants.

My mom is from Chicago and my Grandpa took me too Wrigley Field as a kid. So Ive always been partial to the Cubs. But the sons and daughters of my mom's friends, who live in a different part of Chi were hardcore White Sox fans. They would snap on me for bringing up the Cubs.

Yankess = Star Wars
    Mets = Battlestar Galactica

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

HoJo, David Cone, etc,.

But 20 years and one World Series championship later, and I ain't mad no more, doggie.

Thank you Bill Buckner!

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

HoJo, David Cone, etc,.

Thank you Bill Buckner!
    DUDE!!! buckner catches (no pun) all the heat for that series but the game was already tied when that shit happened. if anyone deserves blame it was calvin schiraldi.
    GO REDSOX 07!

• How do the Mets even fit into that equation? Was that franchise left on New York's doorstep one evening?

Yankess = Star Wars

Only a Yankee fan would spew this shite......

The rivalry between the Yankees and Brooklyn Dodgers was hard core....haters on both sides to the max.....when the Dodgers and Giants both moved out of NY the Yankees lost their natural born enemies.....in '62 when the Mets were given a franchise they played the first two years in the Giant's Polo Grounds so Yankee fans just began hating on them.

And ex-Dodger/Giant fans who despised the Yanks finally had a hometown team to root for.

The Yanks really went downhill in the 60's and the upstart Mets won the Championship in '69 just 7 years after they were formed giving Yankee fans even more to hate.

The Mets have been a lot of things over the years, but "fake ass" ain't one of them.

Yankess = Star Wars

Only a Yankee fan would spew this shite......

The rivalry between the Yankees and Brooklyn Dodgers was hard core....haters on both sides to the max.....when the Dodgers and Giants both moved out of NY the Yankees lost their natural born enemies.....in '62 when the Mets were given a franchise they played the first two years in the Giant's Polo Grounds so Yankee fans just began hating on them.

And ex-Dodger/Giant fans who despised the Yanks finally had a hometown team to root for.

The Yanks really went downhill in the 60's and the upstart Mets won the Championship in '69 just 7 years after they were formed giving Yankee fans even more to hate.

The Mets have been a lot of things over the years, but "fake ass" ain't one of them.

I knew you wouldnt let this slide Rock.....

Im glad the Mets are makin a come-up so we can smack the shit out of them again.

I know of alot older Local Black folk who cant fuck w/ the Yankees to this day because of their intergration speed. And the Mets were a healthy alternative to the Yanks.
    I have a gang of photos as kid wearing Mets gear cause that's who was hot at the time. Had a Tom Seaver glove for the longest. But still, Fuck The Metropolitans.

• White Sox

Up next: Yankees.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    white sox

fuck the yankees

when i was a kid i was a cubs fan, until i was about 10 and realized how much cheaper sox tickets were. plus the logo looked cooler, it was '93 and they were actually good (until the strike at any rate) and, of late, the cubs shit on their fans far too much for me to seriously consider being a fan

• white sox

I was raised by Southsiders. My pops would probably say something offensive to people who aren't allowed the same marriage rights but I will refrain.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

White Sox

Really "crossed off" the Sox with that two-game series split, dude. Nice one!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Of course, Red Sox trump all, but how does this sort of thing break down when you have two teams in your hometown?

AND

... and pray for rain, baby.

• White Sox

Really "crossed off" the Sox with that two-game series split, dude. Nice one!

Haha! I forgot that the Friday game was cancelled.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Fuck the Yankees. Go A's. That is all I have to say. And do not bring up Jeremy Giambi.

Oh, and this is not allowed in the Bay. Choose, damnit:

• I'll say this. i root sox.

but, tonight's pitcher is the fucking flamind douche to end all. fucka curt schilling.

as one of his old managers said...

"he's a horse every fifth day. And a horse's ass every other day."

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

white sox

fuck the yankees

Chicago has three teams?

Of course, Red Sox trump all, but how does this sort of thing break down when you have two teams in your hometown?

Yeah, this was on my mind when I posted this. I sort of wish the Braves had stayed, but realistically, Boston couldn't support two baseball teams in a modern sports economy. You ever get over to the BU field? I guess that's where the Boston Braves used to play. I was going to say "BU's football field", but they dumped football a couple years back, too.

Maybe it's the field....

Oh, and Spahn and Sain - I love how folks remember that as a testament to how great those two were (which they were), and not as it was originally intended, which was a comment on the fact that the rest of their rotation was one of the worst in baseball.

Pray for rain, indeed. But you Yanks fans know what that's like these days, right?

$200 million plus a starting rotation equals

Pray for rain, indeed. But you Yanks fans know what that's like these days, right?

$200 million plus a starting rotation equals

Im no Baseball guy so I wont start no shit, but you little dudes takin pop shots at the Yankees really exposes your asshurtness. Dont hatt the player hatt the game. Either raise some money or shut the fuck up.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Can someone explain how- if at all- allegiance to one of these teams over the other in a two-team town breaks down according to where you live in the city/region, class, political party, etc.? Is there any science to it?

Either raise some money or shut the fuck up.

Yeah, actually we sort of lost the right to pull that card when our payroll got up to #2 in the league. But you do spit some mean vitriol for a casual fan.

Either raise some money or shut the fuck up.

Yeah, actually we sort of lost the right to pull that card when our payroll got up to #2 in the league. But you do spit some mean vitriol for a casual fan.

I grew up and live 3 blocks away from the stadium, so its hard not to pay attention. Plus the media here in new york will bottle up a Jeter fart and talk about for 3 days. I'm a basketball cat, so ill never participate in a real Baseball or Football thread. Im as smart as an ESPN highlight in those games.

Oh yeah, I forgot somethin'................

SoulOnIce get at me....

I hear much worse on my annual pilgrimage to Yankee Stadium. There is quite a creative cottage industry of anti-Sox gear going on down there.

Still, no worse than some of the dumb shit Sox fans wear. Those "Jeter Blows, Arod Swallows" shirts made me ashamed to be associated with Sox fandom.

That all being said, as much as I love the Sox - and I'm a diehard fan - it's just baseball.

Can someone explain how- if at all- allegiance to one of these teams over the other in a two-team town breaks down according to where you live in the city/region, class, political party, etc.? Is there any science to it?

I dont think its a science. Your parents/family might just pass it down. You might feel like a rebellious teen and choose tha alternative to the more "popular" team in town. You might have been young and impressionable during a specific championship era. You might be like some cats who jump back and forth just because someone from you native island/country plays on a team.Which is some real bullshit.
    There's a gamg of reasons. Rivalries are fun.

I hear much worse on my annual pilgrimage to Yankee Stadium. There is quite a creative cottage industry of anti-Sox gear going on down there.

Still, no worse than some of the dumb shit Sox fans wear. Those "Jeter Blows, Arod Swallows" shirts made me ashamed to be associated with Sox fandom.

That all being said, as much as I love the Sox - and I'm a diehard fan - it's just baseball.

There's a decent bar in the East 50's/Manhattan that I've been to a handful of times that is one the "RED SOX" bars in NYC. There's a couple of official Red Sox bars in Manhattan.

There's a decent bar in the East 50's/Manhattan that I've been to a handful of times that is one the "RED SOX" bars in NYC. There's a couple of official Red Sox bars in Manhattan.

Yeah, every time the Sox play the Yanks in the playoffs, there's a local news story about a bar like that - probably the one you're refering to. I just go to a place around the corner from the Stadium. Despite a few assholes, the general reception for Sox fans is kinder at Yankee Stadium than the inverse. Dudes can be straight pricks to Yankee fans at Fenway.

Yeah, every time the Sox play the Yanks in the playoffs, there's a local news story about a bar like that - probably the one you're refering to. I just go to a place around the corner from the Stadium. Despite a few assholes, the general reception for Sox fans is kinder at Yankee Stadium than the inverse. Dudes can be straight pricks to Yankee fans at Fenway.

Yeah, but back the 80's cats were outrageous w/ the hatt, here around the Stadium. I like seein Boston Red Sox fans around here w/ the ice grill like "what, we just beat the shit outta you!"
    Are there Yankee-safe bars in Boston?