Hold Out (Keep The Faith) - High Quality CD Zip!

Comments

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Hi Beaver,

I appreciate you putting the Hold Out mix together, and I'm sure it's taken you some work to track a few of these (I noticed the Prophet and the Disciples is still at 128 k though ) and re-record them at high quality, but what do you say when someone points out a good chunk of the tracks on your mix is basically "taken" aka directly inspired from Dante Carfagna's WFMU and BTS radio appearances???

Obviously not the entire mix, but more then a few tracks are "bitten" in my opinion. Coincidence or homage? Is this how it's done in the UK with the 45 culture... school us US heads.

Regardless, you definitely have some killer slow, sad, and strung out soul on here.

PS: OKAY SO YOU HAVE DORANDO DIDN'T I ON HERE, WHY NOT INCLUDE "PRECIOUS WING" WHILE YOU'RE AT IT

Mark this is lame of you.

Beaver has dropped some serious heat on this site and I would be bummed if your post discouraged him from doing so.

I just want to hear good music and I could give a shit about who "discovered" it first.

Beaver please ignore this and keep it coming. It is greatly appreciated.

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts
    wow. Nitpicking is not cool. If it's something that you don't like, just move on.

Thanks for the mix Beaver! There are certainly many of us that would enjoy this. The other day, some lurker posted a dope reggae mix. imho, it's one of the few bright spots on this board. So, please don't hesitate to post another one when you have the chance! PEACE.

Where is the link to the reggae mix?

And cheers, I appreciate it man.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    wow. Nitpicking is not cool. If it's something that you don't like, just move on.

Thanks for the mix Beaver! There are certainly many of us that would enjoy this. The other day, some lurker posted a dope reggae mix. imho, it's one of the few bright spots on this board. So, please don't hesitate to post another one when you have the chance! PEACE.

Where is the link to the reggae mix?

And cheers, I appreciate it man.

Nevermind!! That shit was posted by you! DOULBLE PROPS.

2 CDS

These are some bangin' tunes, no gimmicks. I don't care who played what or who keeps a secret squirrel under their bed or who is keepin' it real authentic-like.
    I think it's discouraging for people to put time into something, and then have it shitted on. But seriously, keep doing what you're doing. It is a very good thing.

I'm not one to speak on this but is this for real?

We place high value on breaking some kind of new ground on SoulStrut.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

People check out this site because of the unique music and knowledge dropped here on a consistant basis.

Beaver, please see PM. I helped turn this thread into some kind of a monster and that was not my intent.

Sorry, folks.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Beaver, I always enjoy the mixes. I think you're misinterpreting Mark and Drew's comments and questions quite a bit and the fire being thrown around is unnecessary. I really appreciate your willingness to share these tunes, and [gripper]I've wanted a fucking copy of that Gloria Taylor since I first heard it from you over a year ago[/gripper].

Be easy,
    DC

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts

People check out this site because of the unique music and knowledge dropped here on a consistant basis.

Beaver, please see PM. I helped turn this thread into some kind of a monster and that was not my intent.

Sorry, folks.

Drew, replied to the PM mate, no problem my end, I'm an argumentative fucker at the best of times (check Fryers site), a bit of healthy banter is good for the soul(strut), if we all licked arse it would be a boring place.

Cheers

Beaver

DCastillo, this dude Beaver hasn't misinterpretted anything. I just wanna say the new soulstrut is incredibly lame. If the Moderators are trying to be diplomatic and unbiased, they clearly are not. Coming out just to say "chill out" is probably the worst way to communicate.

Based on my deep knowledge from 4 years of Soulstrut, I get the sense that anytime a "3rd party" whether moderator or lurker jumps into the argument, it gets messy. Drew, should have just let Mark and Beaver duke it out or whatever. know what i mean?

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    DCastillo, this dude Beaver hasn't misinterpretted anything. I just wanna say the new soulstrut is incredibly lame. If the Moderators are trying to be diplomatic and unbiased, they clearly are not. Coming out just to say "chill out" is probably the worst way to communicate.

Based on my deep knowledge from 4 years of Soulstrut, I get the sense that anytime a "3rd party" whether moderator or lurker jumps into the argument, it gets messy. Drew, should have just let Mark and Beaver duke it out or whatever. know what i mean?

I'm sorry what?

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Beaver,
    This mix has made my day. Thanks for giving me something inspiring to listen to today.

Nothing short of fantastic.

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts
    Beaver,
    This mix has made my day. Thanks for giving me something inspiring to listen to today.

Thanks! Appreciate it, it's just a homage to Dante though

Beaver,

Ha!

This mix makes me wanna get off my ass and finish my Houston Funk mix.

I'm sorry what?

A new low on Soulstrut! WHEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeE.

Beaver,

Ha!

Texas is played out and so is funk! DON'T RISK IT, SON.

Beaver,

Ha!

Texas is played out and so is funk! DON'T RISK IT, SON.

Don't encourage me!

Word up G.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    ehh, Beaver is from the Fryer board...so I am sure he is more than used to ridiculous, holier-than-thou nitpicking...I mean that is what the whole fryer board is built on...so I am sure it rolls right off his back.

No one has called him a cunt here yet though!

• People will swear I am making these band names and records up.

Use "Phillipe Lehman" as a verb.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Downloaded, listened and liked! Thanks for posting. Great mix.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    verb.

• pedal stool

The new "tepid funk terd"?

B/W

DLing your mix now--thanks for posting it.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    More then a few tracks are "bitten" in my opinion. Coincidence or homage? Is this how it's done in the UK with the 45 culture... school us US heads.

So I'm late to this thread, but do you honestly really believe this??

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Downloaded, listened and liked! Thanks for posting. Great mix.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

As much as it pains me to admit this, Yuichi of the 4 record nerd sites I am familiar with, this one has the least groundbreaking, but the most flossing. And but I am in favor of flossing. Plus none of the other sites scratch.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Thanks for posting this, some great tracks on here.

• define the 'Psych/Stoned Funk' genre

My next Chains & Black Exhaust mix will surely set folks (even hardcore 45 dudes) back a few years!
    People will swear I am making these band names and records up.

As far as the UK-US connection and who gets put onto what, I must say that in this day in age all of the truly UNKNOWN records (i.e. undiscovered and unheard) are coming from American collectors doing their homework.

I am *really* looking forward to this. I have no doubt I will be stopped in my tracks. It's part of the chase: I'll probably never have them in my mits, but you can't have everything. At least we know this vital music exists, and we how to listen to it. My initial listening and wondering of this new one will probably need to be aided and calmed by 11pm whiskey. Yes, I am that sad.

There are now many guys doing their regional US homework, and beginning to post up results of their efforts in blogs and websites, seemingly for each area. Witness Carolina, NY, DC, Georgia soul sites (prob missed 1 or 2 there) after the initial Ohio soul site. Lots of Milwaukee blogged. Come on Detroit / Cali. Serious work. Like check Nitecrawler's DC site and you can see a pic of Clyde Stubblefield with the Young Senators. How did this happen? Did anyone know about this previously? Young Senators were very much a local band at the time, so I find that hook-up fascinating. (Check D. Carfagna's 1st Chains mix for their "ringing bells" cut, my favourite of the first Chains CD). And what else did Knitecrawler came out of there with, apart from said Clyde / Senators info? Probably a few unheard-of local 45s, or at least connection on the chain toward them. Furthermore, when you're actively 'digging', you don't mind coming across a band's later 'modern' effort where you were initially after their earlier funk cut. If it's from your area, you'll treasure it and learn to appreciate the sound, instead of refusing to bother with anything other than what you're after. It's better than 'hot boxing' it (money-gaming your play-outs to just a small 'hot box')(I myself am somewhat guilty. If only I could be of better geographical orientation).

So for the unheard-of, US-located* guys are doing the finding. Eg. Good God / Mo Do. And that's no diss, I'm not UK or US, it's just geography and ratios. (You see I have to say ratios, cause UK still has it's massive history of Northern Soul). As Finewine said a few weeks ago on his legendary show, in his legendary drawl, "I love it when you guys come from you're other cities and bring your boxes of records I've never seen. You know, twelve years ago, when I started the show, there weren't these little pockets of soul enthusiasm."

And Beaver is completely fanatical about this stuff so of course it'll be a good mix. You once threatened to come over and sort me out, oh! those were the days! Thanks for all the tips and you should thank me for my wages

Btw, is there any Stone Coal White (from the last mix) going to be released at some point? (Did Egon play one of theirs unreleased in his recent 'psych soul' mix?).

*Thanks for the new gospel, G. And, speaking to anyone, who was the Australian with funk trades in DC?

**I have probably just killed this topic.

• *** With a spoon.

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts
    define the 'Psych/Stoned Funk' genre

And Beaver is completely fanatical about this stuff so of course it'll be a good mix. You once threatened to come over and sort me out, oh! those were the days! Thanks for all the tips and you should thank me for my wages

Btw, is there any Stone Coal White (from the last mix) going to be released at some point? (Did Egon play one of theirs unreleased in his recent 'psych soul' mix?).

Threatened to sort you out, did I, wouldn't surprise me, agressive fuckwit that I am:) I take it we've mellowed since then?

Dante is putting out a Stone Coal White EP on Cali Tex, not sure when, but it's meant to be coming?

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts
    Down Beat = Callum Flack!

Sorry mate, didn't realise it was you?

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    Btw, is there any Stone Coal White going to be released at some point?

Yes, it is slated to follow the Pieces of Peace LP (out in a few weeks perhaps) and the Orivious compilation on Cali-Tex.
    It will be a four song EP, because, unfortunately, the original tapes I have are such low quality that we were unable to salvage SCW's raw jams and covers of "Hell Below," "Move Your Hand," and "Ain't No Sunshine."