Hold Out (Keep The Faith) - High Quality CD Zip!

BeaverBeaver 164 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
I posted this mix/comp sometime in the summer of '06 and got some great feedback, I have since on numerous occasions promised people CD propers of this and being busy/slack have never got round to sending any out, so here it is in Top Quality sound, all individual tracks, inc. a M- Antonio Castro this time around, click on the link and press SAVE, this should take no longer than 10mins to download, you can thank me with you eternal love/gratitude:)......Happy Easter, Peace.Beaverhttp://www.funkthebeaver.com/Holdout.zip Hold Out (Keep The Faith)[/b] 1. Harrell Singers - There Is A Land2. Trevor Dandy - Is There Any Love3. Downbeats - Why Do You Love Another4. Sherman Willis - Darling I Love You5. Gloria Taylor - How Can You Say It6. Marvelle Hampton - I Know How It Feel7. Joe Brown & The Soul Elderados - Viabration (Part 2)8. Stone Coal White - People's9. O.C. Tolbert - Message To Mankind10. Joey Gilmore - Blind Man11. Lee Bonds - I'll Find A True Love12. Lee Moses - What You Don't Want Me To Be13. Jaibi - You Got Me14. The Moovers - Someone To Fulfill My Needs15. Them Two - Am I A Good Man16. The Monticellos - Plaid Stamps17. The Lost Generation - This Is The Lost Generation18. The Universouls - New Generation19. Steve Parks - Still Thinking Of You20. Dorando - Didn't I21. Little Beaver - Do Right Man22. Antonio Castro - W.E.L.F.A.R.E23. Prophet & His Disciples - You Fool, You Fool (Part 2)24. Lula Collins - Hold Out (Keep The Faith)

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    seriously thanks a bunch for this

glad to see more of you around these parts beaver

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    this was just about my fave strut mix of '06, thanks so much for the higher quality audio!!!

• autezautez 404 Posts
    u r the man

• this mix is facemelt beyond facemelt. if you don't have this, get on it!!!

(this is that mix i was rattling on about in the 'post a track that's been killing you...' with that harrell singers to kick it off.)

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts
    seriously thanks a bunch for this

glad to see more of you around these parts beaver

Pleasure man, I don't frequent this board as much as I should, in fact I've been pretty quiet all round the past couple of months, I will be following this up with a Zip of a CD I did for the Fryer CD Swap, track list below...

An Apostle Of Music:[/b]
    1. Jazzie Cazzie 'Soul City' (Knaptown)
    2. Andrew Brown 'You Made Me Suffer' (Brave)
    3. Saint John 'Stand Up Baby' (Strawberry)
    4. The Grooms 'Slow Down' (Shiptown)
    5. Robert Vanderbilt 'A Message Especially From God' (Sensational)
    6. Expressway 'Blue Evening' (Expressway)
    7. Johnny Adams 'I Don't Worry Myself' (SSS)
    8. Ralph Weeks 'Let Me Do My Thing' (Sally Ruth)
    9. Bob McBride 'Ninety Degrees On The Moon' (Capitol)
    10. Federal Duck 'Peace In My Mind' (Musicor)
    11. Smithstonian 'Just Sittin'(Enterprise)
    12. Mulatu Astatke 'Asmarina (My Asmara)' (L'Arome)
    13. Karl Bryan & Count Ossie - Black Up (Studio One)
    14. Bryony James - Feeling Good (Mercury)
    15. Hitch Hikers Feat. The Mighty Pope - Mr. Fortune (Heart)
    16. Apostles Of Music - Look Where He Brought Us From (Revival)
    17. The Downbeats - Pick Up The Pieces (P.P.X)
    18. Annetta Jackson - Meditation (Trojan)
    19. Zoot Simms - African Challenge (Studio One)
    20. Sweet & Innocent - Express Your Love (Active)
    21. Sibylle Baier - Forget About (Orange Tree)
    22. Montgomery Movement - Who (Folkways)
    A Pete Beaver Production (c) Jan '07

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Hi Beaver,

I appreciate you putting the Hold Out mix together, and I'm sure it's taken you some work to track a few of these (I noticed the Prophet and the Disciples is still at 128 k though ) and re-record them at high quality, but what do you say when someone points out a good chunk of the tracks on your mix is basically "taken" aka directly inspired from Dante Carfagna's WFMU and BTS radio appearances???

Obviously not the entire mix, but more then a few tracks are "bitten" in my opinion. Coincidence or homage? Is this how it's done in the UK with the 45 culture... school us US heads.

Regardless, you definitely have some killer slow, sad, and strung out soul on here.

PS: OKAY SO YOU HAVE DORANDO DIDN'T I ON HERE, WHY NOT INCLUDE "PRECIOUS WING" WHILE YOU'RE AT IT

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts
    Hi Beaver,

I appreciate you putting the Hold Out mix together, and I'm sure it's taken you some work to track a few of these (I noticed the Prophet and the Disciples is still at 128 k though ) and re-record them at high quality, but what do you say when someone points out a good chunk of the tracks on your mix is basically "taken" aka directly inspired from Dante Carfagna's WFMU and BTS radio appearances???

Obviously not the entire mix, but more then a few tracks are "bitten" in my opinion. Coincidence or homage? Is this how it's done in the UK with the 45 culture... school us US heads.

Regardless, you definitely have some killer slow, sad, and strung out soul on here.

PS: OKAY SO YOU HAVE DORANDO DIDN'T I ON HERE, WHY NOT INCLUDE "PRECIOUS WING" WHILE YOU'RE AT IT

Directly inspired? I have used 4 tracks that Dante has used on radio shows, one of which I already owned before he played it, so to say "more than a few" is total bollocks, 2 of the tracks 'Prophet' and 'Joe Brown' were 'discovered' by Dante after UK record head 'Adam Leaver' SOLD them to him, is that how UK heads school you US heads? I know you all hold Dante on some almighty pedal stool on this board, but to say it's 'coincidence' or 'homage' is a load of horse shit, I like some of the stuff Dante plays, some of it's fucking great, but some of it is shit in my opinion, but then I have an opinion and taste of my own and don't take inspiration from anyone! Ask Dante where he got HIS copy of O.C. Tolbert from, another UK head, IE me!!!

Anyway, thanks for your insulting post, as a result I will remove the Zip File from my webspace and in future email CDs out to people, so I don't have to read shit like this.

Thanks and peace

Pete

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Beaver, I don't think Mark is completely out of line with his comments and questions, so I wouldn't take them so offensively. Some of us at one point have used a couple of these tracks on mixes before, too, but to see a "best of raer" track list, especially when several of the songs in many of our ears and minds have been "branded" by one person or another on notable mixes (ie: Dante), can be cringe-inducing for some. I think that's why your contribution threads get chirped on here. We place high value on breaking some kind of new ground on SoulStrut. Anything else can get overlooked.

It's pretty clear that you've got great taste and good intentions, but these are relevant points that Mark was the first to man up and speak on. Take those thoughts for whatever it's worth to you.

• 1) when putting together a best of raer playlist, there is going to be some overlap.
    2) i haven't heard dante's shows, and do know he is kind of the grand puba and shit. at the same time, having spent more time on the fryer board of late, there is more 45 talk going on there than there is here x1,000. So, I also think it is foolish on our *(americans) part to assume all knowledge is flowing from Dante overseas.
    3) this is not to say Dante is biting; what i'm saying refers back to point 1. when you get to the highest point on the pyramid of raer, there are only so many tracks, and only so many people with those tracks. If two put out a mix, there may be some overlap. Not worth getting too worked up over.

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts
    Beaver, I don't think Mark is completely out of line with his comments and questions, so I wouldn't take them so offensively. Some of us at one point have used a couple of these tracks on mixes before, too, but to see a "best of raer" track list, especially when several of the songs in many of our ears and minds have been "branded" by one person or another on notable mixes (ie: Dante), can be cringe-inducing for some. I think that's why your contribution threads get chirped on here. We place high value on breaking some kind of new ground on SoulStrut. Anything else can get overlooked.

It's pretty clear that you've got great taste and good intentions, but these are relevant points that Mark was the first to man up and speak on. Take those thoughts for whatever it's worth to you.

And now I realise why I don't frequent this board very often, 'Breaking New Ground' do me a favour, what did you last break, I mean please tell me, I would love to know, RAER my fucking puney English Arse.

BTW is Trouble still banned for upsetting the apple cart with his (100% truthful) post about Dante, jobs for the boys I would say

"Breaking new ground" in terms of, in this case, making mixes with tunes that aren't already on every mega-digger's wet dream list.

Does that make more sense to you?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    lame soulstrut bullshit as always

i thought this mix was amazing
    great tunes
    thanks for posting
    as disconnected as i am with the funk 45 mafia/cartel its a sad state of affairs when a mod for this board adheres to some invisible deep funk etiquite
    i could give a fuck about WHAT or WHEN dante played on the radio
    for me its the tunes and not the hype
    sorry MARK

but not really

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    2 of the tracks 'Prophet' and 'Joe Brown' were 'discovered' by Dante after UK record head 'Adam Leaver' SOLD them to him

Good music should be shared, there is no "branding" tracks that you like or play alot.
    If this was the case, then "Get Down" by Project Pat would be my sole domain.
    So Beaver and I have similar tastes, at least people get to hear the shit.
    I rarely DJ or make mixes, so folks should be happy someone posts these songs for them to enjoy.
    And for the record, I got the Pressco 45 from Mahood in 2000 and the Joe Brown 45 from John's Boy in Texas in 2001.
    At the time, no one had heard or gave a crap about either track.

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts
    "Breaking new ground" in terms of, in this case, making mixes with tunes that aren't already on every mega-digger's wet dream list.

Does that make more sense to you?

1. Harrell Singers - There Is A Land
    3. Downbeats - Why Do You Love Another
    4. Sherman Willis - Darling I Love You
    5. Gloria Taylor - How Can You Say It
    6. Marvelle Hampton - I Know How It Feel
    8. Stone Coal White - People's
    9. O.C. Tolbert - Message To Mankind
    11. Lee Bonds - I'll Find A True Love
    14. The Moovers - Someone To Fulfill My Needs
    16. The Monticellos - Plaid Stamps
    22. Antonio Castro - W.E.L.F.A.R.E

So 100% truthful you knew all the above tunes before I posted the mix? If you say 'yes' you're a liar, we can all put an average mix together with 'New Ground' tunes that nobody knows, but then it would be er 'average', but please 'school' me with some of your fabulous unknowns, I would love to hear them?

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts
    2 of the tracks 'Prophet' and 'Joe Brown' were 'discovered' by Dante after UK record head 'Adam Leaver' SOLD them to him

Good music should be shared, there is no "branding" tracks that you like or play alot.
    If this was the case, then "Get Down" by Project Pat would be my sole domain.
    So Beaver and I have similar tastes, at least people get to hear the shit.
    I rarely DJ or make mixes, so folks should be happy someone posts these songs for them to enjoy.
    And for the record, I got the Pressco 45 from Mahood in 2000 and the Joe Brown 45 from John's Boy in Texas in 2001.
    At the time, no one had heard or gave a crap about either track.

Sorry Dante my mistake on the Joe Brown, the Pressco got to Mahood vis Leaver though!!

I can understand to a certain extent why your little lap dogs are getting excited, because to a certain degree I would say you helped define the 'Psych/Stoned Funk' genre (if there really is such a thing?), but to say people are stealing or paying homage is total rubbish, unless it's arse lickers on this board or need to have a pop because their own taste is shit!

Drewnice and Mylatency, please post up a mix/compilation of your groundbreaking tastes, I would love to be 'schooled'...

Good music should be shared, but I just want point out that this kind of "branding" thing just happens, as far as I'm concerned. I associate a lot of exceptional tracks that I've heard with the people who exposed me to them. So when I sit down to put a mix together I'll go out of my way put some different shit together. There's bound to be overlap, and sometimes it just fits right, but that's just my preference.

I, too, thoroughy enjoyed the Hold Out mix when Beaver originally posted it on here. I was just offering my own interpretation as to why it wasn't getting crazy love around here in relation to what Mark said.

• Drewnice and Mylatency, please post up a mix/compilation of your groundbreaking tastes, I would love to be 'schooled'...

Drewnice defined the Enchanted Soul genre. and please get familiar.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    MYLATENCY, THE AGITATOR MODERATOR

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    define the 'Psych/Stoned Funk' genre

My next Chains & Black Exhaust mix will surely set folks (even hardcore 45 dudes) back a few years!
    People will swear I am making these band names and records up.

As far as the UK-US connection and who gets put onto what, I must say that in this day in age all of the truly UNKNOWN records (i.e. undiscovered and unheard) are coming from American collectors doing their homework.
    The music is American and we live here, so if an undistributed (read: HITHERTO UNKNOWN) record makes its way into the world via a death or house foreclosure, most of us need only travel a few miles as compared to a trip across the pond for you Brits and Germans.
    Titles might be better appreciated and gain greater visibility in the UK, but all of this music originally comes from here!

Drewnice and Mylatency, please post up a mix/compilation of your groundbreaking tastes, I would love to be 'schooled'...

I don't know what you keep chucking on about. You want to mix battle me or something now?

I said what I had to say, which included recognition of your efforts, and fail to understand why you are taking it so personally.

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts

I don't know what you keep chucking on about. You want to mix battle me or something now?

I said what I had to say, which included recognition of your efforts, and fail to understand why you are taking it so personally.

A mix battle, ha ha, what exactly is that, do I don a baseball cap and get my decks out, sorry my mixing skills are shite and I like a pause between my tracks, but hey! whatever floats your boat, I'm finished with this thread.

Dante: You find some killer 45s make no mistake, I'm not having a pop at you in any of this, more the monkeys who hang off your back, keep up the stirling work and send me a copy of Chains Vol.2 before it hits the shelf, please

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts
    I never asked for Crazy Love (whatever that is) I just posted the CD as I had promised a few people from this board a copy and knew I might never get around to sending it out, I just like sharing the music as I believe that's what it's about? But in the future I won't bother posting any sounds on this site!!

Dante: You find some killer 45s make no mistake, I'm not having a pop at you in any of this, more the monkeys who hang off your back

I know you're a Brit and all, but I would advise you to refrain from the monkey references (for more than just the fact that I hold my own when it comes to music).

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    wow. Nitpicking is not cool. If it's something that you don't like, just move on.

Thanks for the mix Beaver! There are certainly many of us that would enjoy this. The other day, some lurker posted a dope reggae mix. imho, it's one of the few bright spots on this board. So, please don't hesitate to post another one when you have the chance! PEACE.

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    "branded" by one person

Haha, that's really sad.

Thanks for the mix beaver. I'm loving it.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I loved this mix!!! Thanks for sharing.

Oh yeah, and music should be about the musicians and not the dj/person that "discovered" them.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    dope music, thx for sharing.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Thank you for posting this, I appreciate it.

• BeaverBeaver 164 Posts
    Dante: You find some killer 45s make no mistake, I'm not having a pop at you in any of this, more the monkeys who hang off your back

I know you're a Brit and all, but I would advise you to refrain from the monkey references (for more than just the fact that I hold my own when it comes to music).

I really hope you're not implying the monkey reference as being racist, if that's the way you took it you're way off mark as that's not me at all!!

Pete