Drummers? Which should I get...

djstefdjstef 534 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
I just started taking drum lessons in January. I can't play drums in my apartment building, so I was going to get a practice pad set like this...or should I get one of the cheaper electronic sets?Alesis DM5Or should I go ahead and get a cheap practice pad set, and then wait until I can afford something like this before I get an electronic set?Yamaha DXTIIS EDrumKitComes with free headphones and throne.Thanks.

Comments

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Those headphones are probably garbage, and that second kit is probably more than you would ever use. Personally, I would say get a decent set that consists of: hi-hat, snare, and kick. Investing in a good pedal is a must. Pedagogically, I say wait until you understand the mechanics of drumming before you worry about toms, rides, crashes, splashes, and other periphery stuff. It's hard enough to just learn how to play snare kick and hi-hat well, but once you get that down you can throw anything else into the mix and it'll be a breeze. So, go for the electronic kit, but don't worry about maxing it out.

• I bought an Roland V-club set for less than a G about 3 or 4 years ago. The mixer is blue. Now they have a janky ass set with 1 less tom and a way toned down mixer for the same price.

Buy it used but make sure you get the Blue Mixer. TD-6 or TD-06. There is no point on spending money on one of those practice sets. I have plenty of friends (or atleast a few) that like to bang around on the electric set that have never played before.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    *drum geezer alert*

you cant get a small kick, snare and hi-hat set up?

im sorry, but the v-drums have always made me queasy. i would rather opt for one of those roland drum pad set-ups that are less gimmicky. i guess its more of an aesthetic issue i have with em.

sorry for any thread-jacking this may cause.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    There is no point on spending money on one of those practice sets.

cosine, you'll definitely wanna hear some sounds beside a dull thud.

• the v drums have a lot great sounds and didn't even require any technique adjustments. I think the ones with the nylon heads are more unlike real drums then the black-pad v drums. You get an unreal amount of bounce with those nylon heads.

Overall the coolest thing about the electric sets is just being able to play your own drums on tracks or add your own drums. Sample some snares, hats, basses and drop them into a MIDI sampler and play your own samples.

And since you are just starting, there are a lot of different "play a long" songs on the kit that can give you some practice with a lot of styles and what not.

as before...

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    Thank you! Yeah, I've decided the practice set is a waste of money and space. Gonna go for an electronic set. Way more fun potential.