What's Your Favorite Old School Dance???

2»

Comments

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    the cabbage patch

My mother still does this. I'm sure she has no idea where it came from or what it's called.

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    I can do the reebok. One of my favorites is the robocop mixed with the transformer. I will be happy to demonstrate in person. And there is a proper way to do the cabbage patch, it's not that stirring a big pot of soup move that the Col. Sanders character does. It mixes well with the robocop. Does anyone remember the pacman?

I have been wanting to document '70s dances, the ones we did in junior high and high school. (I am 45 years old.) I'm sure a lot of these were regional or had regional variations.

These are a few from the 1970s that come to mind:

bus stop (hustle variation)
    bump
    Charlie Brown and Linus (GQ variation)
    dog/dirty dog/hootchie coo (from Ohio Players' "Who'd She Coo")
    freak
    gate
    GQ
    LA walk
    pony (the rock variation)
    spank (did this to "Flashlight")
    rock
    washing machine
    worm

I'll probably make a video.

• chungtechchungtech 290 Posts
    I can do the reebok. One of my favorites is the robocop mixed with the transformer. I will be happy to demonstrate in person. And there is a proper way to do the cabbage patch, it's not that stirring a big pot of soup move that the Col. Sanders character does. It mixes well with the robocop. Does anyone remember the pacman?

I have been wanting to document '70s dances, the ones we did in junior high and high school. (I am 45 years old.) I'm sure a lot of these were regional or had regional variations.

These are a few from the 1970s that come to mind:

bus stop (hustle variation)
    bump
    Charlie Brown and Linus (GQ variation)
    dog/dirty dog/hootchie coo (from Ohio Players' "Who'd She Coo")
    freak
    gate
    GQ
    LA walk
    pony (the rock variation)
    spank (did this to "Flashlight")
    rock
    washing machine
    worm

I'll probably make a video.

MAKE A VIDEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOME MORE OF MY FAVORITES:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    bump

You can still rock this in the right setting.

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    More 70s/early 80s moves:

punk rock (it wasn't punk, but that's what we called it)
    backstroke and/or wide receiver

early 80s:

gigolo (done to Rick James "Super Freak")

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    in fifth and sixth grade (88-90) i would do the running man every chance i got. it was the only dance i've ever been able to do. that being said, my favorite old school dance is the windmill because that shit would fascinate me. i bought alfonso ribero's breakdancing tapes and sat in my house for hours trying to figure out how to do that sh*t.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Anyone ever do the shopping cart, or is that just a regional thing?

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    shopping cart is played as is the sprinkler

its about the
    golfer
    fade away jumper............................swish.
    self hammer b/w the pick up
    and the naughty robot
    baseball (2 people required)
    the chirp (lots of variation)

baseball (2 people required)

the chirp (lots of variation)

Color me intrigued. Please to elaborate.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    baseball requires, but is not limited to:
    1 batter
    1 pitcher
    1 imaginary baseball
    1 imagainary baseball bat
    1 audience
    the pitcher pitches the ball, the batter swings (this is where you seperate the good dancers from the fakers), the pitcher and the batter together must decide without saying so and literally in an instant if the ball was hit or if it is a strike(it requires alot of practice or a psychic connection). When the ball is hit both the batter and the pitcher watch it sail over the fence (crowd). The batter procedes to round the bases while the audience cheers and his teammates (members of the audience high five him as he approaches home. if it is a strike, the batter is infuriated. 3 strikes = new batter +game on.
    granted this dance doesnt last very long before it turns into fade away jumper or golf.
    note: it looks much more foolish to have the pitcher think it was hit and the batter think its a strike, or vice versa, than to strike out.

the chirp is a group dance kind of like a game of tag on a crowded dance floor. each member playing(dancing) elects themselves a type of bird and they take on the persona of that bird (walk sounds etc.) if another bird sneaks up on you and squaks, chirps, crows, or what have you, then you become that bird. This dance goes on till all players(dancers) are the same type.

each of these are pretty free form

baseball requires, but is not limited to:
    1 batter
    1 pitcher
    1 imaginary baseball
    1 imagainary baseball bat
    1 audience
    the pitcher pitches the ball, the batter swings (this is where you seperate the good dancers from the fakers), the pitcher and the batter together must decide without saying so and literally in an instant if the ball was hit or if it is a strike(it requires alot of practice or a psychic connection). When the ball is hit both the batter and the pitcher watch it sail over the fence (crowd). The batter procedes to round the bases while the audience cheers and his teammates (members of the audience high five him as he approaches home. if it is a strike, the batter is infuriated. 3 strikes = new batter +game on.
    granted this dance doesnt last very long before it turns into fade away jumper or golf.
    note: it looks much more foolish to have the pitcher think it was hit and the batter think its a strike, or vice versa, than to strike out.

the chirp is a group dance kind of like a game of tag on a crowded dance floor. each member playing(dancing) elects themselves a type of bird and they take on the persona of that bird (walk sounds etc.) if another bird sneaks up on you and squaks, chirps, crows, or what have you, then you become that bird. This dance goes on till all players(dancers) are the same type.

each of these are pretty free form

Damn. Are you saying that there are places where I can find adults actually doing this sort of thing? 'Cause that would simply blow my fucking mind, man. And I would be all about it.

Dancefloor baseball, all day, every day.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    the trick to getting baseball started is you gotta have the pitcher and batter already know they are gonna drop it but you need to earn the audience's respect first. This can be achieved by breaking out a cheesy easily coreographed syncronized dance routine (ala electric slide). then break right into baseball before the crowd knows what hit em. Crowdmembers usually step up to bat too, its great.

the chirp is much more difficult to organize. basically a bunch of people have to know of the game then when its initiated, if you know whats up, your in, if not...confusion. each time ive done it (probably 3 or 4 times) its happened organically with many that have played or have heard of it in attendance. plus some savy folks can just realize whats going on and hop right in.

So where are you from? Do you think those are regional styles? I just can't picture something like that going on in a Boston club.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    extreemly regional id say.
    i learned/co-created these working at a summer camp just outside of Yosemite. im from northern california and have been leaving a wake of these dances everywhere i have gone. i live in Santa Fe right now.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    i like to hope that these dances live on in places that i have introduced them to, but i cant really say.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    i know there are a few others really focused on spreading these dances too. mostly in california though. some in various colleges on the east coast too

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    And there is a proper way to do the cabbage patch, it's not that stirring a big pot of soup move that the Col. Sanders character does.

Robo Cop
    Ellesse
    Penn State
    Nasty
    Fila
    E.T.
    prep
    gigolo
    walk
    smurf
    troop
    G.Q