What's Your Favorite Old School Dance???

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
Hey,I was playing "Hanging on a String (Contemplating)" by Loose Ends, and broke out some old school dance moves (with wifey "Watchin' My Moves" in awe like Dooley-O). Anyway, that made me think of some cool old school dances from back then. I broke out into the "Reebok", "Body Talk", "Wop", and "Snake". I think I'll pick the "The Reebok" as my favorite old school dance. What's yours?Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts
    I think I'll pick the "The Reebok" as my favorite old school dance.

I don't know this one. How does it go?

• i was always nice with "the mudfoot"..what about the "peewee"??

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    The Smurf!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    If you'll allow me to take it back even further, I always thought it'd be a lot of fun to put together a book documenting the dances of obscure soul groups. If you dedicated like 4 pages to each band, and included group photos/bios, large color scans of the records, and detailed layouts of how the dances were done, I think you'd end up with a really nice finished product. Package them with a CD of selected tracks covered in the book, and you're in business.

Hip Drop, come on and Hip Drop...Left hip, right hip, left hip, drop!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I think I'll pick the "The Reebok" as my favorite old school dance.

I don't know this one. How does it go?

Hard to explain, I was trying to find some videos online for demonstration. I couldn't find one. Here's a time where I need a digital camcorder.

I remember one time I was home from grad school, and my moms broke it down with the "Twist" since it was playing on the radio (for some reason). I mean, damn, mom was freakin' it. My mouth was wide open. My mom's so strict and square, I never would've thought she could get down like that!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    If you'll allow me to take it back even further, I always thought it'd be a lot of fun to put together a book documenting the dances of obscure soul groups. If you dedicated like 4 pages to each band, and included group photos/bios, large color scans of the records, and detailed layouts of how the dances were done, I think you'd end up with a really nice finished product. Package them with a CD of selected tracks covered in the book, and you're in business.

Actually, I am working on a documentary about this idea as we speak. The goal would be to recover all those "lost" dances that are featured on the funky 45s we know and love. Shit like the Rubberband, the Freeze, The Alligator and, of course, the Soul Strut. If anyone hear has access to artists or film/video footage that would be useful in this endeavor, please let me know. Right now I am generating titles and possible whereabouts of said artists. Holler at cha boy.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    patty duke
    waterbed (aka the rock)
    stomp
    michael jackson
    chicken noodle soup

the freak is numero uno though

"I got two jazzy ladies in deep deep check
    both ladies in the discotheque
    I got one in the front and one behind
    I'm in the middle cuz they're both mine!"-- Keith Cowboy

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    The Harlem Shake
    Gangsta Boogie
    C Walk

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    patty duke
    waterbed (aka the rock)
    stomp
    michael jackson
    chicken noodle soup

the freak is numero uno though

"I got two jazzy ladies in deep deep check
    both ladies in the discotheque
    I got one in the front and one behind
    I'm in the middle cuz they're both mine!"-- Keith Cowboy

Yeah Phill, I forgot about the Michael J, I used to break it down with that. What do you know about the "Benetton"???

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Actually, I am working on a documentary about this idea as we speak. The goal would be to recover all those "lost" dances that are featured on the funky 45s we know and love. Shit like the Rubberband, the Freeze, The Alligator and, of course, the Soul Strut. If anyone hear has access to artists or film/video footage that would be useful in this endeavor, please let me know. Right now I am generating titles and possible whereabouts of said artists. Holler at cha boy.

AWESOME!!! Seriously, what a great project! There should be a number of people on the board that can help you out with artist info, but tracking down video of this stuff is a different ball game. Finding a copy of a 500-pressed, custom label soul 45 is cake compared to finding video footage. With the expense of equipment and the lack of commercial outlets for such material, there just wasn't much reason for local groups to film themselves back in those days.

• If you'll allow me to take it back even further, I always thought it'd be a lot of fun to put together a book documenting the dances of obscure soul groups. If you dedicated like 4 pages to each band, and included group photos/bios, large color scans of the records, and detailed layouts of how the dances were done, I think you'd end up with a really nice finished product. Package them with a CD of selected tracks covered in the book, and you're in business.

AWESOME!!! Seriously, what a great project! There should be a number of people on the board that can help you out with artist info, but tracking down video of this stuff is a different ball game. Finding a copy of a 500-pressed, custom label soul 45 is cake compared to finding video footage. With the expense of equipment and the lack of commercial outlets for such material, there just wasn't much reason for local groups to film themselves back in those days.

Seriously. I think the actual dances were just as much of a part of the scene as the music, it's a shame for those to be forgotten.
    Good luck with the project!!

• chungtechchungtech 290 Posts
    this isn't really an old school dance (to me) but by now it has some serious roots

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Seriously. I think the actual dances were just as much of a part of the scene as the music, it's a shame for those to be forgotten.

I'm gonna need all your help tracking vintage shit down. One idea I thought would be very cool is to find the original artists today and have them demonstrate the dances. Kinda like how Sharon Jones does in her set. For now though send titles, scans and dances that you would like seen unearthed.

• If you'll allow me to take it back even further, I always thought it'd be a lot of fun to put together a book documenting the dances of obscure soul groups. If you dedicated like 4 pages to each band, and included group photos/bios, large color scans of the records, and detailed layouts of how the dances were done, I think you'd end up with a really nice finished product. Package them with a CD of selected tracks covered in the book, and you're in business.

I'm gonna need all your help tracking vintage shit down. One idea I thought would be very cool is to find the original artists today and have them demonstrate the dances. Kinda like how Sharon Jones does in her set. For now though send titles, scans and dances that you would like seen unearthed.

I'm sure you've seen this but just in case:

Love to see:

The Tighten Up
    The Funky Strut - Fabulous Soul Eruption
    The Funky Belly - Warren Lee
    The Funky Penguin
    Motor City Funk - Brightlights

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

I'm sure you've seen this but just in case:

Love to see:

The Tighten Up
    The Funky Strut - Fabulous Soul Eruption
    The Funky Belly - Warren Lee
    The Funky Penguin
    Motor City Funk - Brightlights

Speaking of the Tighten Up. Archie Bell's cousin used to live across the street from me and used to tell a lot tales about Texas back in the day.

others we need to see:

The Breakdown
    All the Freeze variations
    The Washing Machine
    The Bobby Dunn
    The Skin
    Shingaling/Boogaloo
    etc

• Lindy Hoppin.

too old school but this shit always trips me out. you had to be a fuckin athlete to get this shit on.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The Robot, but ou cant do that w/ a girl.

The Mash Potatoes & The ubiquitous Rock.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    the prep.

My Mom would tell me about the dance's she did in the 50/60's.
    My fav was the Shotgun. When the song came on all the kids would "pull out".

• brothasbrothas 22 Posts
    The Smurf!

co-sign!!!!!!

The WOP was my shit...

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    My Mom would tell me about the dance's she did in the 50/60's.
    My fav was the Shotgun. When the song came on all the kids would "pull out".

oh hell yeah! when that junior walker shit would come on all the old folks would jump up and it was SHOTGUN time!! I was pullin' out my gun at like 4 yrs old doin' that schitt! "shoot him fo' he run"... lololol

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    Awesome post! Toss up between the wop or the roger rabbit.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The Steve Martin!

I remember the first time I saw this kid do the Snake....errybody was open. But you couldnt rock that shit for more than one song. There was no room for variation. And this was like 3 years before Janet was doin it in her video.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    The Steve Martin!

I know the song - but i dont know if I've ever seen it?

+

=

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    the slow dance.

seems no one over 16/under 50 is willing to do this anymore.
    i guess i could try breaking into the West Indian Marriott Hotel party scene...

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    I broke out into the "Reebok", "Body Talk", "Wop", and "Snake".

time to time i see youngins doing the "Troop".

but i must agree on the em-effin REEBOK!!!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The Steve Martin!

I know the song - but i dont know if I've ever seen it?

+

=

Stezo does it in the "You Gots To Chill" video. You know that dance Martin does in The Jerk where he's kinda swinging his arms around? It's like that.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    This is on some late 80s steez, but for 8th grade dance moves, I've got to go with the cabbage patch and the running man.

And yes, I am fully aware of the fact that I just myself.

Alot of mid to late 80's dances werent functional. U cant really do the running man on the dance floor w/ your partner. The Whop though =