tony joe white

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
soooo feeling this dude! tune recommendations? been on polk salad annie all week.

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    stud-spider is a dope song with crackin drums

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    greatest hits is all i know. i love this guy! would love to know more.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    greatest hits is all i know. i love this guy! would love to know more.

Rhino put out a 4 disc box set last year of his Monument stuff which is necessary...

His later 70's stuff is good too....the tune "The Family" is the shit.

And dude is still doin' it .......unfuckwithable!!

I'm pretty sure this is the guy Elvis WANTED [/b] to be post-1965

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Shockingly good: that psuedo-disco album he did for Casablanca in 1980, The Real Thang, featuring the regional hit, "I Get Off On It" ("and he goes.../I get off on it/I get off on it/Ain't no skin off my nose/I like wearin' ladies clothes"). There's no mistake, he's obviously trying to get the Studio 54 crowd (one year too late!), but it comes off more downhome than you'd think.

Also recently there was a CD of his appearance on the TV show Austin City Limits, filmed around the same time as this LP.

And while you're on Youtube check the clip of TJW duetting with Johnny Cash on Johnny's TV show in '69! Prime shit!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Dude is playing Auckland this weekend I think, but I'm gonna be out of town, and recovering from surgery, which is the main reason I'm not going.

• This is his best imo and is a single only.

Best LP imo.

Here's a shot of him playing outside our store.

His guitar strap was made of a rattle snake. The snakes fanges were gold.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

THANK YOU!

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

And while you're on Youtube check the clip of TJW duetting with Johnny Cash on Johnny's TV show in '69! Prime shit!

I think the_hookup posted this video a few months ago, face melting indeed.

I hadn't heard about him until a friend played me the "Black and White" LP about two years ago and I was impressed. Been checking for him since and haven't been disappointed yet.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    picked up the polka salad 45 last week...tuff as [email]f@#k.[/email]

• Best LP imo.

co sizzle, this is the one with stud spider..

word up kris, hope that surgery goes well bro - speaking of older cats back on the circuit sixtoo / jesus rodriguez is touring AUS at the mo

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Now Tony Joe White is one of those cats where I'll basically buy anything I see. No matter what year, no matter what label, Tony Joe will always be Tony Joe. There was a goofy "rock opera" he starred in back in 1973, Catch My Soul. The soundtrack was on Metromedia Records, and side one is all or mostly TJW songs. Get that too!

But there's one record of his I never could get with:

This was his third album, and it does sound like he's temporarily run out of good songs. And I also have a solitary disco single he did for Arista which also sucks (if I wanna hear TJW do that kind of music, I'm sticking with the Casablanca LP I mentioned earlier). But everything else? Pure fire. You gotta hand it to a man who not only records a "Swamp Rap" (on the Casablanca album), but he RERECORDED it on his next LP (1983's Dangerous, on Columbia, aimed at the country market even though he still sounds like pure Tony Joe no matter what).

And if you want to hear the "Swamp Rap" live, then track down the CD soundtrack to his appearance on Austin City Limits.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

"Black and White" is such a great album. I copped mine for $3 at the Great Escape in Nashville about five years back. It's been in my bag ever since. I played "Polk Salad Annie" at pretty much every night I spun at for around 18 months afterward.

• souldropsouldrop 40 Posts
    You must get " HEROINES " a record from a couple years ago w/ Shelby Lynne, Emmylou Harris, Jessi Colter, Lucinda Williams -Mad Mad Mad!

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    as always, much appreciate the info folks, dude is great vibes, i listened to polka salad annie all day today on the train, and each time i'd just focus on a different part of the song, i couldnt get bored of it if i tried...loving that green apples song too, and thanks for that link funkycorners