Who plays drums?

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
I'm not talking about drum circles. I'm talking about the traps mangs and womangs. And whil we're at it, name a drummer that you htink is bad-ass.I play the drums.I think Jaki Leibzit from CAN is bad-ass.

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i play

heres a video from almost a year ago. it aint great:

brian chippendale is my favorite lately. i just saw him on sunday and i was nearly crying, and literally yelling shit like "WHAT THE FUCK!?!!!!!" at the top of my lungs.

very very very very very fun show

chris corsano or whatever is great too

incidentally theyre both doing work on the new bjork album. she has taste.

jaki was a personal fave for a while. good choice.

also a huge tony williams fan.

for straight ahead stuff, probably pretty purdie since he originated a lot of shit and also is pretty distinct. you can usually tell right away if purdie played on a track.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    i played from 1988 till about 1993.... 5 years.... I'm wack as fuck!

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    htink is bad-ass.

You misspelled hcrink.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    I play, but not as much as I used to.

Elvin Jones always manages to melt my face.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Check out some videos of Mike Mangini on YouTube.
    Although I'm not really into his style of playing...it seems to me this man has at least one extra set of brains to be able to play the things he does.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I've been playing for almost two years.

http://www.soulstrut.com/scans/break2.mp3

I Like John Bonham & Mitch Mitchell

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Though heavily tube distorted rock and roll bass is my instrument of choice, I do love cracking out some breaks on a nice trashy drum kit.

And Jaki is my favorite drummer. "Oh Yeah" from Tago Mago is crucial.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Hemol,

I've played drums since the tender age of 5 (I'm 37 now). The trap set was my inroad into the world of music.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Drums have always been my instrument of choice. I *can* usually play other instruments by ear, but not on that hi-pro level.

• ive played drums for about 10 years. right now I got a roland V-drum set which is pretty nice. I can use it with a MIDI sampler which is probably the best thing about it.

• i've been playing drums since middle school, so about 20 years.

not good with names, but some albums/songs i like the drumming on:

gang of 4 - EVERYTHING on "Entertainment"
    duran duran - seriously, listen to "Girls On Film"
    stooges - 1st album and funhouse - FEROCIOUS is an understatement.
    bolndie - heart of glass, atomic, etc - no ones mentioned CLEM BURKE!
    cream/Ginger Baker - whats that classic live concert they did? they show interviews with each bandmember and baker is such an arrogant mofo..
    TREX - Bill Legend. best name in rocknroll
    and double/triple co-sign on mitch mitchell!
    (and dude on Eugene Blacknell's - Gettin Down - freakin wonderful)

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I've played drums for a while, I like those motown drummers, I also like Idris Muhammed.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i play to record stuff to loop and such, but almost never in a band/live situation. And now i can see: Ako is much better than me.

bonham, purdie, elvin jones, topper headon!

• i gave it up a while ago .. was so hard to part with my vintage gretsch 18x12x14 set .. those 18" bass drums sound so so beautiful if tuned right. oh yeah i had some amazing k zildjian instanbul cymbals .. i rode with 2 20"s and some 14" hats, thats it .. man but those hand hammered turkish ones from the 50s/60s really cannot be replicated