Best Ever DJ Track (Remember Them?)

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts

Is there a longer version of this? I seem to remember a slightly different version.

• planlessplanless 819 Posts
    dj revolution - communication[/b]

storytelling cuts

• scebasceba 122 Posts
    you guys seem to be on some strictly old school shit but think what you think of the newer scratch stuff, d-styles - phantasmagorea and ricci rucker/mike boo - scetchbook were some groundbreaking stuff in the genre(and had excellent tracks on them). check out cliffords moustache, f.u.p.m, felonious funk, murder factory from the d-styles album. cant remember track names of of scetchbook but it was a totally new sound in the genre.

oh yeah also knights of the turntables - techno scratch!

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    third sight - rhymes like a scientist (dj dstyles)

• scebasceba 122 Posts
    dstyles got some ill scratches on those thrid sight tracks ie. last track from the a-side of the thrid sight 12" with all those fukd up heads on the cover. but i don't know if rhymes like a scientist qualifies as a dj track. dope still...

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Terminator X to the Edge of Panic

• 'you guys seem to be on some strictly old school shit'..

Thats because they dont make the DJ track on a rap album anymore.

Props to PUTS for keeping it alive with 'The Double K Show' and Ugly Duckling 'Einsteins Takin Off', Einsteins On Stage' and 'Eye On The Gold Chain'.

Just thought of some more:

Freshco & Miz 'We Dont Play'
    Son Of Noise 'Scratch It at Your Own Risk' (Big Ted, Shorty Blitz, Mada, Renegade & Son'
    Blade feat DJ Grazhoppa 'He Got Cuts Galore'

• scebasceba 122 Posts
    ok well sorta missed the point i guess. anyways ill stand by the dstyles/third sight stuff. smegma in d minor is a dj track on an otherwise rap related record..

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    DJ Track as in - track on a rap record that focuses on the DJ... not the sub-sub-genre of "turntablism"...

One that hasn't been mentioned - "Scratch Bring It Back (Part 2 Mic Doc)"

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    dstyles got some ill scratches on those thrid sight tracks ie. last track from the a-side of the thrid sight 12" with all those fukd up heads on the cover. but i don't know if rhymes like a scientist qualifies as a dj track. dope still...

Smegma in D Minor. One of the dopest DJ tracks ever.

I roll with this specific islander
    he don't speak much, like a silencer
    but everything he touch
    cut, sutures, no scalpels etc.

Great stuff. How was their latestalbum (Third Sight)? Heard a lot about it, and then completely forgot about it. Symbionese Army or something?

Also, "My Vinyl Weighs a Ton" has that INSANE Babu track on it, not to mention "Tale of Five Cities". That stuff made ME wanna get serious about skratching. And I did.

Not to hype myself up (considering the final outcome), but I produced a little something with some dudes from the d-styles.com board a while back, trying to catch some of that essence. 7 DJs from around the world contributed. That was so much fun. I wanna do it again... I think a Soul Strut skratch nerd version could and should be done.

On a sidenote, what happened to the whole scratchmusic scene? Did people just get tired? Ricci Rucker seems to still be pushing himself, those Megablaster discs are insane! But in general, there seemed to be a lot happening, and then it all faded away. I can sort of understand, considering even I got totally bored with the hour-long practice tapes and that fucking ahhh noise, but still?

-J

• My favs were Jazzy Jeff, Aladdin, Daddy Rich, etc.
    I think DJ Polo had a cool track on "wanted dead or alive", but I can't think of the name...

• 'Daddy Rich In The Land of 1210' (3rd Bass)

YES.

There was also a remix of "Portrait Of An Artist As a Hood" that used the S.W.A.T. beat where he tears up LL's "awwwwwwwwww" intro from "I'm Bad". I need to hear that again.

I believe you're thinking of "Product of the Environment" remix if you're talking about that LL scratch.

Here ya go:

3rd Bass - Product of the Environment (Project remix)

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

• scebasceba 122 Posts
    ok actually reminicing about it smegma wasnt a strictly dj track anyhows. but dope ass cuts nevertheless. got that 12" from the newer album otherwise havent listened to the album. nice beats on the 12".

dj track/turnablism whatever. music with scratches, when does it magically transform into turntablism from a dj track(if it is in context of a rap album). but i get the point of what you guys are looking for so i will fall back as they say...

cosine those cuts from the pbw album.

i think moe loves theme hasnt been mentioned.

couple of obvious ones not mentioned eric b is on the cut(even if he didn't do the cuts). i also kind of liked dj k la boss off of strictly business.

• scebasceba 122 Posts
    didnt edan also have a dj track on one of his albums. but is it a dj track when its concentrating on the dj who is actually the mc also +

• Always liked the Schoolly D megamix track "The Magoomba Mix" that DJ Code Money did.

Not strictly a DJ only track but the scratching DJ Cash Money did on New Sheriff In Town is killer.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    2 words:

JOE COOLEY[/b]

And Senor Rockwell, I'm pretty sure I'm confusing the tracks. It could swear the SD50s remix of "Portrait of an Artist" used the Rhythm Heritage/Theme From SWAT beat. I could be wrong though, it's been years since I've heard it.
    Thanks for posting the sound files.

• 2 words:

JOE COOLEY[/b]

And Senor Rockwell, I'm pretty sure I'm confusing the tracks. It could swear the SD50s remix of "Portrait of an Artist" used the Rhythm Heritage/Theme From SWAT beat. I could be wrong though, it's been years since I've heard it.

Yeah, "Portrait..." remix definitely used the SWAT beat, but the LL cuts are from the "Product..." remix. I got the Cactus Revisted but it doesn't have the "Portrait..." remix unfortunately so I can't listen/post the cuts from that track.

and maaaaajor cosign on Joe Cooley - Supercuts is reedonkyooluss. The way he freaks that "I think I wanna rock" sample is

• 2 words:

JOE COOLEY[/b]

You're right Day. The 12" has a remix of Portrait done by Sam Sever & Pete Nice and it does use SWAT.

edit...beaten to the reply!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    2 words:

JOE COOLEY[/b]

Yeah, these mp3s are great - instant nostalgia fix. I miss DJ features as well.

I remember the Curt Cazal feature on the first JVC Force album being pretty good. "The Move", I think it was called.

• instant nostalgia fix. I miss DJ features as well.

not a DJ track per se, but does anyone else remember that 'phone message' track off Hard To Earn? It was called "aiight chill...", and it was everyone calling up Primo.

One of the messages was from DJ Scratch from EPMD, and he was asking Primo when they were going to get together and have a scratch session. Me and my homie always wondered how badass that session would have been/was.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    damn it didn't work????

this threads brings me to listen to this again

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    How the hell is NO one gonna mention "Scratchin' to the funk" 12" by Dr. Funkenstein aka: Cash Money?!

• Been lying in bed sick so had time to think of this.

Cant believe no one has mentioned..

Mister Cee's Master Plan (Big Daddy Kane)

Mr Muhammad (Tribe called Quest)

Sounds Of The Safari & Good Newz Comin (Jungle Brothers) Sammy B

We Call Him DJ Devastate (Demon Boyz)

And cant remember the name of it but the E-Swift cut from the King T at your own risk album.

• Just the other day I was thinking about doing an ALL DJ SONG mix CD.

Oh well.

fuck that DO IT

Did anybody ever hear DJ Nikoless' 'This Is Where You Got It From' mix. That is an all DJ song mix CD and its dope.