Least anticipated release of '07

13»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Of course I think it's extremely funny that in '04 when Houston was doing its best Phoenix impression, the consensus on Soulstrut was that Paul Wall, moreso than Chamillionaire even, really had it going on. Now apparently, not so much.

I think one--maybe two--people may have said that.

But since you like to view yourself as forever presenting a challenge to the consensus, I suppose it really only takes one person disagreeing with you for that person to represent a "consensus" in your mind.

• Wait...Paul Wall doesn't have it going on? Dammit!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Of course I think it's extremely funny that in '04 when Houston was doing its best Phoenix impression, the consensus on Soulstrut was that Paul Wall, moreso than Chamillionaire even, really had it going on. Now apparently, not so much.

that must be a pretty satisfying chortle you're having. i find it more disappointing than anything that Houston can never seem to fucking follow through with anything.

but don't let me stop you from patting yourself on the back, mr. houston.

Doesn't really have anything to do with me. I wasn't the one arguing how great Paul was 3 years ago, only to do a complete 180 with hardly anything changing in between.

And again, Paul has 2 singles currently blowing up the radio down here. Seems like a significant follow through to me.

But since you like to view yourself as forever presenting a challenge to the consensus, I suppose it really only takes one person disagreeing with you for that person to represent a "consensus" in your mind.

Whatever you want to think, dude.

As I remember it, I was completely blown away by the number of people on here who were saying like it was a universal given that Paul > Cham.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

As I remember it, I was completely blown away by the number of people on here who were saying like it was a universal given that Paul > Cham.

Your perception of reality is known to be less than reliable.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

Doesn't really have anything to do with me. I wasn't the one arguing how great Paul was 3 years ago, only to do a complete 180 with hardly anything changing in between.

And again, Paul has 2 singles currently blowing up the radio down here. Seems like a significant follow through to me.

yeah... whatever blows your skirt up.

paul wall does not a city make.

you can act like you don't know what i'm saying, but as a resident of Houston for 30 years, there is a pattern of not following through. The opportunity at the feet of that city in just the last few years, with respect to the music business, was fumbled. I don't really see how that can be disputed, especially with Paul Wall's single "blowing up" on the radio down there as your support.

yeah... whatever blows your skirt up.

paul wall does not a city make.

you can act like you don't know what i'm saying, but as a resident of Houston for 30 years, there is a pattern of not following through. The opportunity at the feet of that city in just the last few years, with respect to the music business, was fumbled. I don't really see how that can be disputed, especially with Paul Wall's single "blowing up" on the radio down there as your support.

Fumbled???

All sorts of artists/etc. are making significant money down here off of that "opportunity at the feet of the city".

I don't know what your expectations were/are, but it's still nice and sunny down here.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    cool, man. glad things are looking up down there in Austin.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    not that i ever would have said paul wall > cham, (tho paul's maj label debut > chams, tho "ridin dirty" > all songs on PWs), i am fully willing to admit that i gave dude's goofy white dude persona more credit in the game than he prob deserved.

see sometimes its ok to admit you were wrong, harvey

Before you attempt to discount Austin...please consider that without Paul, Cham, Trae, Z-Ro, Chingo, etc. utilizing Austin as the most perfect test market, that the '04 Houston resurgence towards national prominence probably never would have happened.

And never forget that an Austin resident produced just about ALL of the Houston rap hits during that stretch run.

So speaking of faulty perceptions, you just might like to insist that Houston and Austin are worlds apart from each other, but the fact of the matter is that over the course of at least the past 4 years, Houston and Austin rap scenes have been working hand in hand with each other.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

^^^^thizz face. bay area carpetbaggeur.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

Before you attempt to discount Austin...please consider that without Paul, Cham, Trae, Z-Ro, Chingo, etc. utilizing Austin as the most perfect test market, that the '04 Houston resurgence towards national prominence probably never would have happened.

And never forget that an Austin resident produced just about ALL of the Houston rap hits during that stretch run.

So speaking of faulty perceptions, you just might like to insist that Houston and Austin are worlds apart from each other, but the fact of the matter is that over the course of at least the past 4 years, Houston and Austin rap scenes have been working hand in hand with each other.

woah, man. relax.. .there is no need to get defensive. I realized that it is useless to go back and forth with you online and my well wishes were genuine.

Further, I don't need to be schooled on Austin, Houston, or their coexisting relationship. I lived in both places and I am still very aware of what's happening. I also never insisted on Anything, Rob. Please to fall back with the defensiveness.

Good day, sir. (please don't read anything into that)

woah, man. relax.. .there is no need to get defensive. I realized that it is useless to go back and forth with you online and my well wishes were genuine.

Further, I don't need to be schooled on Austin, Houston, or their coexisting relationship. I lived in both places and I am still very aware of what's happening. I also never insisted on Anything, Rob. Please to fall back with the defensiveness.

Good day, sir. (please don't read anything into that)

Okay, cool. Well wishes back at you.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I think that's where we differ on music. I don't care what a record sells. And you know what, those guys are not doing too bad if a guy in Quebec knows who they are & bought their releases.
    dude i said i like a 2007 black sheep release. i dont care about commercial success, except when it relates to the discussion. Dude asked where the west coast was in relation to commercial success and you came at him with dudes lucky to go gold...no qualitative judgement implied

What does commercial sucess equal? Who cares? It was stupid of him to mention it, but I was trying to be polite.

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts
    Question: Is the South really here to stay?
    hopefully this q is not tied to the career of paul wall

couldnt be, cuz texas aint the south.

Question: Is the South really here to stay?
    hopefully this q is not tied to the career of paul wall

couldnt be, cuz texas aint the south.

OK, San Luis Obispo.