Should I move back to NY?

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    batmon do you work for the tourist dept.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    batmon do you work for the tourist dept.

LOL....

"OK, Folks if u look to your right youll see the old textile shop that Mike Tyson fought Mitch Blood Green in front of."

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    could u break it down on why/what Richmond lacks. It is a college town right?

I wouldn't call Richmond a college town. Richmond is a city with a big arts-centric school thrown in the middle. If it were a smaller town like Charlottesville I think it would be a lot different, but I think in Richmond the potential just gets diluted.

I wouldn't call Richmond a college town. Richmond is a city with a big arts-centric school thrown in the middle. If it were a smaller town like Charlottesville I think it would be a lot different, but I think in Richmond the potential just gets diluted.

What do u mean by "diluted"?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

Throw some dope DJs and 200 people in a small-medium sized club and you have the ingredients for a great night. Now take those same people and DJs and put them in a huge warehouse. Nobody dances, everybody clings to the walls.

Feel me?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Basically what I was getting at is that Richmond isn't a college town because its too large for the university to become the city's cultural center.

Throw some dope DJs and 200 people in a small-medium sized club and you have the ingredients for a great night. Now take those same people and DJs and put them in a huge warehouse. Nobody dances, everybody clings to the walls.

Feel me?

I smell ya.

So are there no "funk/soul" nights @ smaller venues?
    Or even some multi-culti kufis/ironic t-shirt/Hemp Dunks/Pabst Blue Ribbon/RedBlkGrn wristband mofos hanging out somewhere?

Basically what I was getting at is that Richmond isn't a college town because its too large for the university to become the city's cultural center.

Cool but what about the college bars/venues? They cant be all old rock or Becky headquarters

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    So are there no "funk/soul" nights @ smaller venues?
    Or even some multi-culti kufis/ironic t-shirt/Hemp Dunks/Pabst Blue Ribbon/RedBlkGrn wristband mofos hanging out somewhere?

Oh there's plenty of hipsters. Just seems like nothing gets support here.

I was expecting a wealth of live jazz / funk when I got here. I was very disappointed. There's basically two dope spots on Friday and Saturday nights and they're both so goddamn small they get to sardine status around 11pm and can't afford to pull in major artists.

As for younger, "dj" nights.. typically if something dope jumps off people lose interest after a few months (if they were interested to begin with).

And before anyone asks, no I'm not mad. The word you're looking for is "jaded".

As for younger, "dj" nights.. typically if something dope jumps off people lose interest after a few months (if they were interested to begin with).

What's kind of music? Is it typical shit or too left field?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

There's occasional funk / soul / hip hop / reggae nights, but the only thing the college kids come out for en mass seems to be the 80s dance parties.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

There's occasional funk / soul / hip hop / reggae nights, but the only thing the college kids come out for en mass seems to be the 80s dance parties.

Welcome to planet Earth

That probably means majority Big 80's, not Mid-level funk/r&b/rock artists not featured on VH1 soul.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Move to the Burbs, dude.

Cookie Cutter Developments, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Starbucks, Miles and Miles of Car Dealerships, Pizza Hut. Aaaah. Life is Good.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

i would maybe like to live in ny some day, when i need a new start.

New Yorkers: is the one deej built for this?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I don't know if he has a pass in the hood to talk shit like thaaaaat.

In today's post Guliiani NYC? Yes. Especially in Haarlem!

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

• also, i want to know who else living in a major city is paying less than 400$ a month in rent...

Me. Phoenix.

Lame town, though. We have Hungry Howie's Pizza, live 80s bands on the weekends, and a lot of "clumsy" people in general.

I could see deej on a hot summer day posted up on my corner and bumping that Shawnna at a high volume. Bringing the party.

I could see deej on a hot summer day posted up on my corner and bumping that Shawnna at a high volume. Bringing the party.

lol......State Building Plaza w/ some Hypnotiq.

• i would maybe like to live in ny some day, when i need a new start.

I could see deej on a hot summer day posted up on my stoop gettin' his head cut.[/b]

Come and kick it with the deej that get the cash by the incredible bulk
    Sippin' Hypnotiq and Hennessy, yeah he calls it Incredible Hulk

I could see deej on a hot summer day posted up on my corner and bumping that Shawnna at a high volume. Bringing the
    party.

Come and kick it with the deej that get the cash by the incredible bulk
    Sippin' Hypnotiq and Hennessy, yeah he calls it Incredible Hulk

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    lol @ none of you actually knowing me???

lol @ NYers acting all hard too, i hope you enjoy listening to chicken noodle soup while enjoying a summer day in a city with the lowest crime rates of a major urban center in the country

the only thing i'd be worried about is trying to pay my rent

lol @ none of you actually knowing me???

lol @ NYers acting all hard too, i hope you enjoy listening to chicken noodle soup while enjoying a summer day in a city with the lowest crime rates of a major urban center in the country

We are all as cupcakes with pink frosting next to you, deej.

Deej = hard like calculus!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    now now, as a representative of the ATL i didn't think you would be so quick to fold. Surely you should be competing w/ harveycanal for king of the south realness honors?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    now now, as a representative of the ATL i didn't think you would be so quick to fold. Surely you should be competing w/ harveycanal for king of the south realness honors?

Rillz is a reverse carpetbagguerre.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    in all seriousness, surely the softbatchification of brooklyn should be evidence that all it takes to survive in ny is a parents' bank account.

Rillz is a reverse carpetbagguerre.

As Shied might note: some people have the misfortune of being born in NY; I chose to live here.