Should I move back to NY?

Comments

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    It depends on what you prefer....

NYC Beckys

Those girls are from Jersey.

I dont care. They dont have this kind in L.A. I think I miss guidettes.

NYC is great, but in a sense it's kind of "over"

I agree- but i remember my parents having the same conversations in the 80's.

Besides- I'm not looking for the next cool scene. I'm looking to be around more genuine people. I think that's NY over LA even if I have to wade through the yuppies and trust-fund hipster scumbags.

BTW, i'm not bashing LA - this town has been very good to me and the lifestyle is really e-z. And I've made some great friends here - I think i'm just homesick.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I dont see st8 up B-girls like I used to in NYC.

Let me guess, came to Portland to work at W*#den and K#nn%dy?

you got it ! They weren't hiring....

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Besides- I'm not looking for the next cool scene. I'm looking to be around more genuine people.

You might just want to avoid cities entirely, if that's the case. Or move into a working class neighborhood where folks don't really give a fuck what the kids think is hip these days, 'cause they're too busy dealing with the day-to-day grind. It can be a bit of a downer, but the people are genuine enough.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

I would hate life if this was my house

Seriously. I think it would completely suck the life out of me.

dudes...
    am i missing the sarcasm.

what about here, on the beach.

Besides- I'm not looking for the next cool scene. I'm looking to be around more genuine people.

You might just want to avoid cities entirely, if that's the case. Or move into a working class neighborhood where folks don't really give a fuck what the kids think is hip these days, 'cause they're too busy dealing with the day-to-day grind. It can be a bit of a downer, but the people are genuine enough.

And they will no doubt welcome him to their bosom so he can get some of that genuineness he seeks.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

dudes...

No. you are not missing anything. I like old buildings, gothic styles, pre-war, brownstones, bricks... old streets and old neighborhoods. I hate Spanish tile and new construction. I hate cul-de-sacs.

If I were to live in California it would be in the Bay Area, and the construction would be Craftsman or Victorian.

I do not want to drive to wal-mart.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    what about here, on the beach

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Let me guess, came to Portland to work at W*#den and K#nn%dy?

you got it ! They weren't hiring....

well they do have offices in ny and shanghai and tokyo and....

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I spent 4 years in Brooklyn/NYC - loved it, so vibrant and always something going on. But after a while the noise, pollution, taxes, moodiness, crappy apartments, the fact that's it's so hard and expensive to own a vehicle and that your money gets you so little finally got to me.
    I moved to Miami and now have a beautiful home, nice car, beautiful weather year-round (not including those pesky hurricanes of course) and a much higher standard of living, all the time on the same income I was making in NY.

Do I miss NY? Yes of course, for so many reasons. But I don't miss living there.

dudes...

No. you are not missing anything. I like old buildings, gothic styles, pre-war, brownstones, bricks... old streets and old neighborhoods. I hate Spanish tile and new construction. I hate cul-de-sacs.

If I were to live in California it would be in the Bay Area, and the construction would be Craftsman or Victorian.

I do not want to drive to wal-mart [in a mini-van][/b].

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I always wanted to live in NYC. But l.a. isnt so bad. theres cool people here too, you just have to really search for them. Where do you live in l.a?

I moved to Miami and now have a beautiful home, nice car, beautiful weather year-round (not including those pesky hurricanes of course) and a much higher standard of living, all the time on the same income I was making in NY.

Do I miss NY? Yes of course, for so many reasons. But I don't miss living there.

I've acctually considered Miami -but is there too much of this?

Where do you live in l.a?

Silverlake. Which has a reputation for hipsters and stuff- but really is a nice quiet neighborhood with only like 2 bars and spaceland? I like it here a lot- but it's a little isolating. I can walk for blocks and not see one person on the street. But I couldn't do the westside or Hollywood either - i dig it over here.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

No more than NYC. In fact, most of the douchebags that invade South Beach come from the north-east cities anyway.
    Also, there's waaaaaaaay more to Miami than just South Beach, believe me.

No more than NYC. In fact, most of the douchebags that invade South Beach come from the north-east cities anyway.
    Also, there's waaaaaaaay more to Miami than just South Beach, believe me.

That's a good point. It's really a toss-up between Miami and New York. I'm leaning towards NY because of work and family but leaning towards miami just because it's new.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    How does that old saying go, "No one really moves from New York, they just can't make it here."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    How does that old saying go, "No one really moves from New York, they just can't make it here."

I didnt want to say it.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    did silverlake used to be a mexican neighborhood?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i'm not sure i could live anywhere but new york. the development is completely out of control though. you can watch gentrification happen like it was in time lapse.

• I used to want to live in a big city until I visited them.

Were the people who want to live in big cities raised in them?

I was. Upper east side-Manhattan.

I used to want to live in a big city until I visited them.

I was born in Boston and raised in Winthrop, a town sandwiched between East Boston and Logan airport.

I do think there is a sort of city mentality. I love spending time in rural areas, but I always end up missing the action of the city. Plus, there's a wealth of culture in cities, particularly those on the coasts, that you just don't find elsewhere. A sort of worldliness, where people think of themselves as connected to world culture, rather than just a denizen of (INSERT LOCALITY).

But people can be real pricks en masse.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I was raised in Marion Barry's Washington DC.

I was raised in Marion Barry's Washington DC.

Can you explain why people re-elected dude after the crack bust?

'Cause I'd love to know. That still boggles my mind.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    New York is better than ever, and it's still the capitol of planet earth.

• I used to want to live in a big city until I visited them.

I was born in Boston and raised in Winthrop, a town sandwiched between East Boston and Logan airport.

I do think there is a sort of city mentality. I love spending time in rural areas, but I always end up missing the action of the city. Plus, there's a wealth of culture in cities, particularly those on the coasts, that you just don't find elsewhere. A sort of worldliness, where people think of themselves as connected to world culture, rather than just a denizen of (INSERT LOCALITY).

Yeah, I really enjoy going to the city and feeling its gigantic energy, but that energy doesn't compare to the vast peacefulness of nature, at least to me.

The wealth of culture also doesn't intrigue me very much, considering what you have to give up in return. I like doing things I can do on my own, such as camping, rock climbing, canoeing, fishing, and other outdoor things.

I remember seeing a pay-by-the-hour fishing tank set up in the middle of a mall once. That was pathetic.

I used to want to live in a big city until I visited them.

Yeah, I really enjoy going to the city and feeling its gigantic energy, but that energy doesn't compare to the vast peacefulness of nature, at least to me.

The wealth of culture also doesn't intrigue me very much, considering what you have to give up in return. I like doing things I can do on my own, such as camping, rock climbing, canoeing, fishing, and other outdoor things.

I remember seeing a pay-by-the-hour fishing tank set up in the middle of a mall once. That was pathetic.

I hear that. And I do wish I could spend more time doing that sort of thing. But if I had to choose, I'd still take city life. You can always take trips to the country when you're feeling boxed in and get a camping or fishing weekend in, but it's harder to have the city experience for a weekend, or a short trip.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    But if I had to choose, I'd still take city life. You can always take trips to the country when you're feeling boxed in and get a camping or fishing weekend in, but it's harder to have the city experience for a weekend, or a short trip.

I'd say that argument could work both ways.

Still, I spent one year living down the coast in
    an isolated beach town (Scituate, since you are from
    MA) and damn near lost my mind. Got an incredible amount
    of reading done, though. 300 pages a day, easy.
    I spent nights riding around on a skateboard down isloated
    streets, listening to owls and smoking weed. City, please.