I Am in Downtown Boston Right Now...

BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
...at Borders, specifically. I have some questions.1. What should I do?2. Where does one go in this city to get it how they want it? 3. Where should I go to drink?3b. Does anyone out there feel like drinking?4. Where is Edan's house?4b. Would he be amenable to me sleeping on his porch/stoop?5. How late do the subways/buses run?6. Under which bridge might one sleep if they were, say, too drunk to figure out how to get to their friend's house?Any help would be greatly appreciated (questions 3 and 6, in particular).

Comments

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

I have some answers to questions you might have.

1. No, this does not belong in the Announcements section.

2. I am in town for a cognitive development conference. It is not very fun.

3. I have tentative plans to stay with a friend on the outskirts of town, but I haven't called her yet.

4. Yes, I will buy the first round.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    The Aerosmith Museum is a must.

• fuuuuuuuck. and me recovering from fucking surgery.

Downtown? For dives try DeLux or The Tam. The former is more hipster dive, but i really dig it. decent food, too. the latter is for drunks.

For bars of a more middle brow variety, they're a dime a dozen and fairly :ehhh:. The DO serve booze, though. I assure you.

Public transit runs until just shy of 1:00; i know, yes, this sucks. You're not the first to notice this, so no need to run over that ground again.

If you don't feel like going to the burbs, PM; i'm in Cambridge, and got a couch. Can drop you somewheres in the AM on the way to work so you can get back to boringfest. Wish I could join you for a drink, but I've got the lingering headache of ear surgery b/w jaw bone filing.

What do you think I've been doing all day?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

The Borders @ Downtown Crossing?

Look for the dude who sells the Hot Nuts. They are yummy.

fuuuuuuuck. and me recovering from fucking surgery.

WTF!?!? Attending to your personal health is something you can put off indefinitely, I'm only in Boston for like 3 days. You need to get your priorities in order, doggie.

Downtown? For dives try DeLux or The Tam. The former is more hipster dive, but i really dig it. decent food, too. the latter is for drunks. [/b]

Done and done.

Public transit runs until just shy of 1:00; i know, yes, this sucks. You're not the first to notice this, so no need to run over that ground again.

If you don't feel like going to the burbs, PM; i'm in Cambridge, and got a couch. Can drop you somewheres in the AM on the way to work so you can get back to boringfest. Wish I could join you for a drink, but I've got the lingering headache of ear surgery b/w jaw bone filing.

Jaw bone filing? Yikes! You fixin' to be a Stepford wife or something? Hope they at least fitted you with some Vics or something.

Seriously though my dude, good looks on the info and hospitality. Here's to a speedy convalescence! I shall hollereth further on the PM.

The Borders @ Downtown Crossing?

Look for the dude who sells the Hot Nuts. They are yummy.

That's the one. Will keep my eyes peeled for Hot Nuts dude.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I definitely suggest Delux over the Tam.

Delux isn't really a dive, just small and cheap.

Usually some cute girls, too.

I wish you had announced you were coming earlier
    (or did you?) cause I would have changed my plans
    and met up with you for a (10) beer(s).

Also, Irma Thomas is in town tonight, tomorrow &
    Saturday.

I definitely suggest Delux over the Tam.

Delux isn't really a dive, just small and cheap.

Usually some cute girls, too.

Duly noted. May end up checking out Delux after all.

I wish you had announced you were coming earlier
    (or did you?) cause I would have changed my plans
    and met up with you for a (10) beer(s).

Nope, no forewarning whatsoever. This is pretty typical of the way I travel. I booked my plane ticket like 10 days ago (I've known the dates of the conference for probably 8 months). It's a bad habit.

Next time I'm in town I'll give you dudes a heads up to assure maximum preparedness for beer consumption.

Also, Irma Thomas is in town tonight, tomorrow &
    Saturday.

This is something I will look into further. Thanks!

Okay, it's 9pm, they are kicking me out of Borders. Time to drink.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Real heads want to know if Young_Shelf got through the night in one piece.

In other words, did Boston give it to him the way he knew he wanted it?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Damn - wish I had seen this last night.

Check out Bukowski if you're into good beer. They've got around 100 different types, mostly good stuff and imports, with Pabst and Private Stock for the insufferably hip.

I don't know if there are any good soul nights on Friday night around here, but Soulellujah (sp?) at Zu Zu on Saturday night is pretty good when it's not too crowded. Of course, the place is the size of a large bedroom, so it's hard to find it otherwise.

And give a shout if you want some company to throw a few back tonight. I have to work tomorrow, but I'll be the only one there, so I can afford a moderate hangover.

• Damn homey, Khara just got back from Boston yesterday!

Amanda lives in Lowell, probably pretty far, but you could always call her up.

Pls to email me address again.

• Yes, please to post thursday hijinks.

and, i could motivate for some saturday soulnight action...hollerate if still in state.

Yes. Soullelujah is some good shit. I don't know the DJs playing tomorrow night, but PJ Gray is playing next weekend. He's a cool cat. Check out galacticfractures.com for some great downloadable DJ sets.

Soullelujah. Let's do this.

Here's the Soullelujah myspace page.

• at this point it takes a pretty special occasion to get me to soullelujah...this would qualify fosho.

but, back to soullelujah. too often too crowded, and of late, not enough dancing- too much standing and looking at other people. c'mon, kiddies, bust a fucking move! i'm usually there the 2nd saturday of the month for ty (i play those nights on occasion; last month included). we'll have to organize one of these times.

BUUUUUUT, point is: Tomorrow. Breakself you in town? get me out of my convalesence!

Real heads want to know if Young_Shelf got through the night in one piece.

In other words, did Boston give it to him the way he knew he wanted it?

The kid is alive. Certain portions of the way I knew I wanted it were delivered in full (getting drunk), while others remained unfulfilled (passing out under a bridge). It was fairly tame as these excursions go, but I recognize the city's potential for more self-destructive exploits. Next time perhaps I will ditch my luggage in a bush rather than carrying it with me.

My hope is that next time I arrive it will be with a better-formulated and more comprehensive knowledge of how I know I really want it. Harvey is welcome to PM me with a program of self-actualization within this domain.

Damn - wish I had seen this last night.

Check out Bukowski if you're into good beer. They've got around 100 different types, mostly good stuff and imports, with Pabst and Private Stock for the insufferably hip.

This is valuable info. Tonight is my last night and I'm hoping to remember less than half of it.

And give a shout if you want some company to throw a few back tonight. I have to work tomorrow, but I'll be the only one there, so I can afford a moderate hangover.

My phone is dead at the moment, and my charger is either in South Boston or somewhere on BC's campus. I will look into finding it later this evening. I can always use drinking company!

Damn homey, Khara just got back from Boston yesterday!

Amanda lives in Lowell, probably pretty far, but you could always call her up.

Amanda's in Lowell? I have no idea where that is. Would be nice to see her...though I can't say the same of her fiance (husband?).

Pls to email me address again.

Lol. Dude, you have got to be fu*king kidding me! Should I resend the $95 to ship the records too? ha. I'll call when I get the chance.

at this point it takes a pretty special occasion to get me to soullelujah...this would qualify fosho.

but, back to soullelujah. too often too crowded, and of late, not enough dancing- too much standing and looking at other people. c'mon, kiddies, bust a fucking move! i'm usually there the 2nd saturday of the month for ty (i play those nights on occasion; last month included). we'll have to organize one of these times.

BUUUUUUT, point is: Tomorrow. Breakself you in town? get me out of my convalesence!

YES! In town. Looking to drink, preferrably en masse. Soul music would be a bonus. Shall holler ASAP.

Off to another talk...

at this point it takes a pretty special occasion to get me to soullelujah...this would qualify fosho.

YES! In town. Looking to drink, preferrably en masse. Soul music would be a bonus. Shall holler ASAP.

Off to another talk...

Right on. Any other Boston heads?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Off to another talk...

So, is this going down?

A**on? Ga***h? If you guys are
    working it on the PM, let me in,
    cause I'm heading out and want to
    know where heads will be at if I get
    a chance to come through ...

Excellent timing. I will be calling the real headz in about two minutes.

Already got a head start on y'all! Woo hoo!

• DOWN....SoI...looking for your digits on pm, can't find; heading towards central.

hope to see you there; will pm info.