"Harsh Times" Appreciation (Bale/Longoria-Related)

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
have y'all seen this? not exactly Blood In/Blood Out caliber, but....not only was it straight to video, it was straight to Blockbuster. Exclusive schitt.I won't even go into the deeper commentary on PTSD that this movie represents. It's just all about the quotables in this movie. Dude plays like a white guy from the barrio with a country-ass accent. You get to hear Christian Bale utter such classics as:"Pop the trunk, essay.""You got the feddy, homes?""Twelve Step the fuck off!"And, in response to his boy asking what he'll be doing for the Feds down in Columbia: "Off people; program shit." put this schitt on your netflix cue. oh wait -- it's only available at Blockbuster!

Comments

• I must rent this.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I must rent this.

seriously do yourself the favor. have a couple cold pistos handy. the movie is so so serious.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Actually i think this was in theaters... at least in LA. very briefly though. wasn't he an undercover FBI agent or something?

• How does this compare to "The Last Samurai"?

Actually i think this was in theaters... at least in LA. very briefly though. wasn't he an undercover FBI agent or something?

he was a shell-shocked vet returning from Iraq. no one was trying to hire him though 'cause he was a bit nuts. just trying to straighten his life out with the Man trying to keep him down. some Stallone First Blood type status.

• Oooooooo, a story of personal redemption.

Putting Sidney Carton to shame.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    it was in the theaters here in montreal and got decent reviews

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

put this schitt on your netflix cue. oh wait -- it's only available at Blockbuster!

Netflix has it. I just put it on my queue.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    It can't be worse than I>Running Scared/I>.
    That shit's hilariously bad.

PS
    IMG SRC=http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1493/netflixzl7.gif>

glad it's on Netflix! get this and report back.

• the_jthe_j 49 Posts
    caught this in the cinema in Dublin man. loved every minute of it. mainly for Bale's character. some classic lines for sure.

check it peoples

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    "You got the feddy, homes?"

feria not feddy. i thought it was ok. kinda overused the word "DOGG" tho.

"You got the feddy, homes?"

feria not feddy. i thought it was ok. kinda overused the word "DOGG" tho.

definitely overused "dogg." don't get me wrong the movie sucked on so many levels. and yet I enjoyed it. laughed my ass off actually. right, "feria." my slang could use some help; thanks carnal.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    have you seen "a guide for recognizing your saints"? a really awesome movie. though nothing like harsh times.

I'll have to peep that.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    saw it this weekend. despite the bad reviews, i have been wanting to watch it ever since it played at the Toronto Festival two years ago.

kinda

thought it was boring and silly. Bale's character was over-written and over-played. the crazee effects to show that he was losing his shit was unneccessary and what was the point of this movie??? there are far greater films about dysfunctional male relationships, getting into it in LA and post-war trauma.
    good ideas/themes, weak execution.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Forgot to comment on this myself.
    Thank you rootlesscosmo, hilarious.
    Watching Bale as the main character was like some bizzarro world shit.
    For some extra hilarity listen to the writer/director audio commentary; he's trying to break it down like it's The Godfather or somthing.

P.S. At the end after Rodriguez shoots Bale he literally crosses over from the wrong side of the tracks into the arms of his girl/a better life. Wow. Hacktacular!

glad it's on Netflix! get this and report back.

Last third of the film was fantastic. First two thirds not so fantastic. Dialogue was atrocious. I think the director accidentally made a good movie despite his short comings as a screenwriter.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    dude wrote Training Day.

from imdb.com (help us all):

Among his next projects, he plans to write the remakes of Sam Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch, set in modern day Mexico

dude wrote Training Day.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

I thought this film was stupid. Barely finished it.

Hacktacular!

no doubt. glad some of you peeped/enjoyed this crap. I laughed my ass off.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    dude wrote Training Day.

In between writing The Fast And The Furious & SWAT.