Moving your expedit (ER)

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Ok guys - if I'm moving house, and I am moving my expedit, am I gonna need to dismantle that shit, or can I just haul the thing as it is?It took me ages to put the thing together, and God only knows where the instructions are. I really don't fancy the prospect of dismantling, moving and then reconstructing 2 expedits.What it do?

Comments

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    if you don't take it apart and choose to move it assembled, you'll need to finesse that shit and use your lady fingers while moving it. they're none too sturdy.

good luck.

• i am in the exact same postition (except with only one expedit - - show off!) --- i pray for an easy answer.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Get a huge roll of that elastic moving tape shit, like the size that's at least a foot wide, and wrap the entire thing very tight. Move it very carefully and you'll be all good.

Don't:

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    they come apart and go back together real easy. I've done it like 3-4 times with mine.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Get a huge roll of that elastic moving tape shit, like the size that's at least a foot wide, and wrap the entire thing very tight. Move it very carefully and you'll be all good.

Don't:

Damn - that sounds like almost as much work as taking it apart.

I might just bite the bullett and take it down. Now I also have to find enough boxes and crates to move my records - this could well mark the beginning of the down-sizing era of my record-collecting life! As i hear it, there's nothing like having to move them shits to make you reassess how many records you really need!

• cascas 1,484 Posts

indeed! them sonsabitches are delicate.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    C'mon Dude the expedits are the easiest things in the world to put together and pull apart.The top and bottom and sides can only go in one place and all the other pieces are pretty much interchangeable. wait til you start fucking around with their beds and other shit. Besides you'd need a pretty big car to put a fully assembled one in.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Don't:

Dude, what size expedit are you talking about??

Are you really suggesting moving an expedit while
    it's filled with almost 2,000 records? That's gotta
    be near if not over 1,000 lbs!

Sure they are easy to take apart and put together. But the tape thing is just as easy. I guess it depends on whether you want to drop the extra loot on the tape. I hired movers last time and they came equipped, so it was worth it not to have the stress. But those are really the only two options, take apart or tape together. No "moving it as is".

I'm thinking I'll just hire a truck and put everything in it in one go - I don't have muich stuff really to move besides records, but my girl has a big bed and lots of furniture.

I wish I could just close my eyes and open them and everything would just magically appear in my new place!

Don't:

Dude, what size expedit are you talking about??

Are you really suggesting moving an expedit while
    it's filled with almost 2,000 records? That's gotta
    be near if not over 1,000 lbs!

OH NO!!!

Pack up all those records in U-Haul "Small Boxes."

I don't think anyone is saying "with records" inside!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I thought the saran wrap was to hold the records in!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I'm thinking I'll just hire a truck and put everything in it in one go - I don't have muich stuff really to move besides records, but my girl has a big bed and lots of furniture.

I wish I could just close my eyes and open them and everything would just magically appear in my new place!

Just leave em all there.

That particle board wood stuff can't handle the pressure of its own weight, let alone 2,000 slabs of soul.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    dismantle it, ive taken this thing down and put it back together 4 times and getting quite good at it!

the first time took about 2.5 hours

since then its been maybe 20 minutes MAX each time. the shit is pretty simple once youve done it a couple times. i think its the whole putting the pegs in the boards thing that takes so long the first time...

just make sure you keep the hardware in a bag, and dont lose your alan wrench!

• ArtichokeArtichoke 112 Posts
    ive done this twice...

get a standard cardboard record box and fill it up with the small wooden pieces. they fit in just perfect like records but the top doesnt quite close so you gotta fold over the cardboard on the top. then tape it. as far as the long pieces put em up one on top of the other. use moving blankets to wrap them up (most easily done by rolling them in) and tape them up well especially the ends so they dont slide out.

get a ziplock bag for all those wooden pieces and screws. dont even think about losing one of those pieces or your whole expedit will be unsturdy.

hope this helps

-arti

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    haha looks like were on the same page artichoke

• Shit, don't ask me cuz like an idiot, I took off the top and tried to carry it down some stairs and that shit collapsed on my ass. I guess that's why I'm a counselor and not an engineer.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I just did this less than a week ago to get it in my new place. dismantled and remantled it. Only issue was that the base and the sides seemed to be jammed it. Just packed it flat on the floor brought it over to the new house and re-assembled it. The time it took to put it back together must've been under 15 minutes.

The bigger nightmare was moving the vinyl

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    i guess this is a good time to not only down-size the collection but also to organize your records while you move them.

is there a concern that those little wooden pegs and the holes they go in get too loosened?

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I've moved mine about 3 times now and took them all apart each time. Like mentioned before, it's much easier to put it back together the second time. The first time is hard because you have to get it all to fit together, when it really doesn't want to. After it's been together for awhile it's got it's shape, so putting it back that way is a lot easier.

If you don't take it apart you run the risk of enlarging the size of the holes that the dowells fit into. It will creak back and forth when you move it and basically stretch out the holes. I know someone who moved theirs that way and after he put records back in it it leaned to one side and eventually cracked under the pressure and caved.

take it apart. It's much easier. And there is no need for instructions. It's simple logic after awhile. I feel like I could put one together in about 10-15 minutes now.

Cool,
    thanks for all the feedback on this.

I won't be having to undertake this for at least a month or so, but when I do, I will definitely disassemble them and move them that way.

• looks like i'm going to have to figure out how to take my expedite apart. I don't think i could move my 4x4 up windy stairs without breaking it somehow.

thanks for the tips