new Dizzee Rascal using "Think" loop

p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
it's the "fix up, look sharp" for his new LP... i'm feeling it, but i wish the tempo was faster b/c it would mix with b-more a little better and he flows better at faster tempos anyway... he doesn't really make grime anymore... http://www.sendspace.com/file/k14109

Comments

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Eh... not great... but I like the way 'Space Dust' is used.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    I like it...Dizzee Rascal is...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I hadn't listened to new 'grime' in awhile but i checked a mixtape a few weeks ago and was 1) impressed w/ the beats...some of these dudes should start producing for g-unit and 2) unbelievably annoyed by the rappers. I swear how can anyone listen to that shit for long? Most one-dimensional rappers in the world, hammering at you with obnoxious catchphrases and absolutely zero to say.

I recognize this makes me sound a) hypocritical ("Dont you like MIMS?") and b) old but I think the difference is that while I like MIMS in one-hit-wonder doses its like the entire genre is like this - except they're more grating, due to their rejection of cool relaxed remove in favor of intensity and yelling.

Dizzee Rascal is a notable exception.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    I hadn't listened to new 'grime' in awhile but i checked a mixtape a few weeks ago and was 1) impressed w/ the beats...some of these dudes should start producing for g-unit and 2) unbelievably annoyed by the rappers. I swear how can anyone listen to that shit for long? Most one-dimensional rappers in the world, hammering at you with obnoxious catchphrases and absolutely zero to say.

I recognize this makes me sound a) hypocritical ("Dont you like MIMS?") and b) old but I think the difference is that while I like MIMS in one-hit-wonder doses its like the entire genre is like this - except they're more grating, due to their rejection of cool relaxed remove in favor of intensity and yelling.

Dizzee Rascal is a notable exception.

i feel you...

you have to understand that grime mcing comes out of garage mcing for raves and pirate radio, where the mc was more of a host, chatting catch phrases... so, yeah, some grime mc's only have like 3-4 bars/phrases that they will repeat alot. however, in the last few years that has changed.

Trim's nex mixtape "soul food" is completely bananas... i would def. check for that.

trim's myspace

also, Wiley's new stuff has been pretty tight as well... both of the above can hang on a flow level, w/o saying the same things over and over... i'd say at this point, Wiley, Trim, Tinchy Stryder, Ghetto, Riko (his verse on the new Stage Show riddim is ridiculous), Flo Dan, are all more listenable than Dizzee, whose flow has gotten really simple lately...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Riko is great..."Chosen One" is probably my favorite 'grime' song to show up

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    on Ghetto, great emcee, to hear him on a more "lyrical" tip check for the video of him rapping over one of his friends playing guitar... sounds lame, but he makes it work. Miles ahead of Dizzee Rascal and one of my favourite emcee's full stop, check the mixtape where he rhymes along to the piano rhythm on Gangstarrs "All 4 The Cash" beat, it's good.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    I know i should n't like this - but this is

is he still on matador?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Pretty lame "think" was turned into a track called "pussyhole."

• Pretty lame "think" was turned into a track called "pussyhole."

co-sign

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    those rappers! so lewd!

this is pretty good but it does sound like it should be faster

• Pretty lame "think" was turned into a track called "pussyhole."

co-sign
    yeah that shit is horrible

The good godfather would be rolling over in his grave

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

"you got to use what you got, to get what you want"

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    In the UK "pussyhole" isn't some sex thing, it just means someone who's shook or pussy... people either say "pussy'ole" or "fassy'ole", they both mean the same and you hear it a lot in Grime or UK hip hop...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    it's the "fix up, look sharp" for his new LP... i'm feeling it, but i wish the tempo was faster b/c it would mix with b-more a little better and he flows better at faster tempos anyway... he doesn't really make grime anymore...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/k14109

Catch linked to the Fader piece on this, and when he mentioned it used "Think", I was expecting a b-more vibe as well, since a few wannabe-hipster London club nights are starting to pick up on that stuff. Personally, I think it's the best thing he's done in ages - I never thought I'd want to hear anyone rhyming over that loop again, but he gave it a real shot in the arm.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

co-sign
    yeah that shit is horrible

The good godfather would be rolling over in his grave

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts
    I like the way 'Space Dust' is used.