where is the hot spot in LA right now

2»

Comments

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Yeah, gig-wise. I played there a few times a while back - cranky PA, but a nice spot nonetheless.

• anyways, about hot spots, well, i hear mandrake on the 4th sundays is pretty H-O-T if you like lowrider oldies.

Where is this? This sounds pretty dope to roll through and put my knuckles together.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Little Pedros

The Breaks (aka Root Down before it was Root Down)! Man those were good times.

Boombox @ Grandstar where they also have Firecracker goes down.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

I think we're going. What's the space like? Is it fresh to def cause I'm not hangin in a garage THAT night? Can't beat 10 bucks though. Jazz club. Nice.

Thanks for The heads up all. Cya there.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I think we're going. What's the space like? Is it fresh to def cause I'm not hangin in a garage THAT night? Can't beat 10 bucks though. Jazz club. Nice.

Thanks for The heads up all. Cya there.

It's cool - I've not been to this night, but been to others....it's a two floor venue. Both floors are spacious but I preferred upstairs - more of an office type lounge affair up there.....both floors have bars.

And if you catch it early enough, there's a small carpark just after the walk way entrance to China town - it's literally right outside the venue, and around 7 to 10 bucks.

So is that what's up for tonight? I guess we're gonna go to Boombox or Funky Sole at Star Shoes. What would be better? Anything else?

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I went to that Chinatown spot for Firecracker a few years back when I was visiting LA,
    I remember the venue being a little run down...
    But the music and crowd was super cool.
    Except for the dude from the Black Eyed Peas taking up most
    of the dance floor with his crazy moves. He really likes himself.

WAAAACK!

• So is that what's up for tonight? I guess we're gonna go to Boombox or Funky Sole at Star Shoes. What would be better? Anything else?

Is CUT still playing Funky Sole?

• So is that what's up for tonight? I guess we're gonna go to Boombox or Funky Sole at Star Shoes. What would be better? Anything else?

Is CUT still playing Funky Sole?

he's there most of the year, i suppose he's on tour the rest of it...

people keep telling me about the Airliner in Highland Park, supposedly

Boombox was interesting. Lights on the dance floor would have made a huge difference. Talking about huge, I have not seen so many full figured women under one roof. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just the sheer numbers were outstanding. Besides my girlfriend, there was mabey three other girls who weren't over weight.

The soulscienz DJ's were pretty good. Nice blends, good music. Omni was cool, not my favorite style but he was pretty good anyway.

When Doodlebug took the decks, all fell apart IMHO. How do you say crashing boxcars? Trainwreck. He played classics but my DJ critical ears couldn't take it so we left.

In conclusion, Soulscienz was nice but lights would have helped the mood. I'm big on environment. Good night out even if slightly disappointed.

4/20 is our anniversary. What's good that night? Unless we find something better, Pause it will be.

Funky Sole is cool. I went this week. The music was fonky and the crowd was fun havin'.

• u mean like dj gigs or something? i dont know. i sometimes play records there but with a friend. its his thing. i went once on a thursday and it was line out the door thing. i just really like the spot. ranchera bar.

which reminds me, i was in lil tokyo and passed by a loft development [of course] and there is businesses on the bottom floor and this one italian [i think?] restaurant is gon open called PASTAGINA[/b]

http://www.pastagina.com

i just really like that name.

you should let me know when you guest at la cita. the place is soooo close to my house.

what's up LA people? been a minute since i wrote anything on here.

Shig are you still doing sundays at mandrake?

Funkmosphere is the only place i go to these days (besides art opening with free drinks!!!), in Culver City. Carbon Monday nights. strictly for people who love the music. i'll be there tonight.

Belson you should add me on myspace or something so i know when you are playing.

myspace.com/liptonwhitaker

• Not sure if it's a hot spot, but went to LA over the weekend and hit up The Funky Sole...Egon and Cut Chemist were on the 1s and 2s...I had a great time and the music was what I expected.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    This is going off 4th/5th/6th May at the Bordello, 901 East 1st Street, Downtown LA

Featuring from the Soul Strut cognescenti, Brother Soulmarcosa and yours truly.

Killer venue, dope soulful funky 45's and cheap stella served by ladies looking this;