where is the hot spot in LA right now

street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
It's time for my club burnout hiatus to end and I want to go out for some dancing with the lil shawtie. I'm talking about real club hip-hop with out the fake ass reality show wanabees. I also don't want to have to "keep it real" like Dave Chapelle cause everybody's hollering at my girl. Gotta remember that's a compliment, though.

Comments

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

Yeah, I didn't really think it existed.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    MAYBE SOME HORIZONTAL DANCING AT HOME

but hey if you end up finding a spot make sure you post it up so we can peep it out and verify it is truly hot and cool and not filled with hollywood hipsters

I promise not to holler at your girl, um more than once

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    "Real club hip-hop", can you define this?

Once a month, there is Soundlessons which is usually pretty poppin'. A lot of times they have J-Rocc and Rhettmatic come through. I recommend this.

Also every Friday there is another similar event called "Pause". They play a wide variety of danceable stuff.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    "Real club hip-hop", can you define this?

Once a month, there is Soundlessons which is usually pretty poppin'. A lot of times they have J-Rocc and Rhettmatic come through. I recommend this.

That sounds fresh. We'll definitely check this out, j-rocc is dope but I'm thinking a little more 808 heavy.

Yea, won't be able to help you out with the Top 40, I have no clue. I mean, I do but they're all Asian clubs, which I rarely go to. The Lobby, Highland, Cavana Club, etcx2.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Also every Friday there is another event called "Pause".

not sure that's the type of club he's looking for...

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Not too sure what you're looking for. There are top 40 hip-hop clubs that will have fashion police at the door and make people wait for a while.

My boy DJ's Republic on Fridays. Mostly hip-hop, rock, randomness. That place Firecracker in Chinatown is fun and crowded. They play funk & hip-hop - I can't remember what night that goes off though.
    There's always Starshoes on Saturday's. Circle Bar in Santa Monica has some pretty good DJs as well.

• I can co-sign on these spots from actually playing at 'em:

FRIDAYS
    Boardners in Hollywood on Fridays (FUCKING CRAZYNESS!). I played in the outdoor patio area and pretty much dropped everything from some Miami Bass shit, Dre, to Frankie Beverley and everyone was wylin'. The dude after me dropped Group Home (?!?!?!?) and I remember a bunch of girls jumping up and down spraying their drinks....(yeah that happend)

SATURDAYS:
    "Quality" @ Zanzibar with Haul and Mason. More of a top 40 club, but I've never gotten any annoying requests, weekend warrior cornballs, or this up-tight vibe. Might be a little to commercial.

Soul Sessions (Monthly?)
    At the Grand Star old Fire Cracker place. More on the soul- feel-good steez, a real nice house party type vibe.

"Quality" @ Zanzibar with Haul and Mason. More of a top 40 club, but I've never gotten any annoying requests, weekend warrior cornballs, or this up-tight vibe. Might be a little to commercial.

• "Quality" @ Zanzibar with Haul and Mason. More of a top 40 club, but I've never gotten any annoying requests, weekend warrior cornballs, or this up-tight vibe. Might be a little to commercial.

Dog, don't be salty. The next time you want to come to the stage and request "Like A Virgin" 3 or 4 times please to step to the booth with more than a dollar as a tip and "but it's my birthday!" as an excuse.

si that just did occur on the interneto

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    At the Grand Star old Fire Cracker place.

Fire Cracker moved?

That was gonna be my suggestion. Only good party in L.A. in my humble opinion.

At the Grand Star old Fire Cracker place.

Fire Cracker moved?

That was gonna be my suggestion. Only good party in L.A. in my humble opinion.

Looks good, this is the place right?

http://www.yelp.com/biz/YAPTK-o7YOp1k4x0sNuBQQ

I'm always looking for something cool. Any other suggestions?
    I know there's stuff like Zanzibar, Little Temple, Temple bar...but these are pretty much the same.

• the places above sound mad faggoty... not really my thing. if you want to peep some real deep rooted LA scene shit thats not all faggoty stay tuned for details on this:

Not hip hop but a great fucking party with really cute chicks, all around good people and some seriously killer tunes being played.

faggoty

that's a funny word. you really use that?

• faggoty

Yes, I really do.

faggoty

Yes, I really do.

I'm glad that you dont think a night of Northern Soul and Motown is'nt that. I really do.

• faggoty

Yes, I really do.

I'm glad that you dont think a night of Northern Soul and Motown is'nt that. I really do.

Jus tryna suggest some shit that could be an alternative to all the hippity hoppity rappity rap rap stuff is all. i am sorry if this makes you feel all faggoty inside.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    This looks nice for tomorrow night -

http://www.myspace.com/eaglerockunderground

I spin the first Thursday of the month at the Bordello, where Little Pedros used to be - the owners gutted the venue, and have given it the proper venue facelift. Place looks stunning.

http://www.luckmedia.com/bordello/photogallery.html

My night is just raw soul and r&b edged - yes, the original kind. DJ's Duff Marlowe and Joey Altruda play there on the regular though, which might be more what you're looking for.

i am sorry if this makes you feel all faggoty inside.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I promise not to holler at your girl, um more than once

Notice that he didn't promise not to make it rain from the upper balcony while yelling "THIS WHAT MONEY DO!!!" after said one-time only holler, however.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    JUJU - if you know then you know, if you don't... They are changing venues though and its once a month.

Bullet - is a motown/soul and i think Ska party once a month. I haven't been but the last one was at Safari Sams.

Firecracker - is still in Chinatown, better to go in the summer than now.

Quality - is supposed to be the joint as far as female to male ratio and music.

• JUJU - if you know then you know, if you don't... They are changing venues though and its once a month.

Bullet - is a motown/soul and i think Ska party once a month. I haven't been but the last one was at Safari Sams.

but are they "faggot" free?

JUJU - if you know then you know, if you don't... They are changing venues though and its once a month.

but are they "faggot" free?

You mean faggoty? Not sure I am too busy paying attention to the women to care.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

If you'd have gone, then you wouldn't be recommending it. No Ska played at the Bullet - just wall to wall classics played pretty incoherently. But there is a more musically adventurous gig with Soulside! at Nocturnal, Santa Monica - hosted by Jerry Miller from The Untouchabes. Covers the board from rare and raw soul to ska.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    man last week i was gon go to a house party in pasadena [hi thes, i heard it was a record release or something for you?] but it was kinda far. and im currently unemployed. so i did what i thought was the next best thing. drive around and find crowds of people at galleries and go in for the free alcohol. i gotta say i was pretty successful, however, there's only so much tecate and jungle juice i can drink. needless to say i was really hungover the next day.

anyways, about hot spots, well, i hear mandrake on the 4th sundays is pretty H-O-T if you like lowrider oldies. other than that, ive noticed downtown becoming saturated with clipsesters i mean hipsters i mean goofballs. i do, however, really like la cita.

Basically I am looking for raw, without the

clipsesters i mean hipsters i mean goofballs.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    i do, however, really like la cita.

Nice spot, but are they actually running anything there yet?

The management seem to be a little 'tricky'.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    u mean like dj gigs or something? i dont know. i sometimes play records there but with a friend. its his thing. i went once on a thursday and it was line out the door thing. i just really like the spot. ranchera bar.

which reminds me, i was in lil tokyo and passed by a loft development [of course] and there is businesses on the bottom floor and this one italian [i think?] restaurant is gon open called PASTAGINA[/b]

http://www.pastagina.com

i just really like that name.

... always food related.

• , i was in lil tokyo and passed by a loft development [of course] and there is businesses on the bottom floor and this one italian [i think?] restaurant is gon open called PASTAGINA[/b]

http://www.pastagina.com

i just really like that name.

and if you tilt your head to the right a little while looking at that logo that is exactly what you will see...