The Legend Of KDAY and then some...

djnikolessdjnikoless 236 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Yeah, I'm still on the radio tip...ha. This week's show I'm doing is on KDAY, Mixmaster Gee, Latin Rascals and Shep Pettibone.I was able to interview Greg Mack and that was definitely helpful as he cleared some misconceptions I had about KDAY up. He's a cool dude no doubt.Anyway, any West Coasters out there, does anyone have any KDAY stories, classic moments, thoughts or whatever?I've never really hear much since I was never living out West. Over the last couple year I got like 5 or so copies of some mastermixes from there but that doesn't give me the full picture was like.I mean visualizing this as the first 24 hour rap station is hard to do on some levels with my limited info. I mean I generally always hear the same names and that's Greg Mack as a host and then the mixmasters...what the hell was happening the rest of the day...ha! OK, I'm being dramatic I know about Russ Parr and a couple other names and I just finished the show but it's just such a fascinating thing to me that I would like hear from some people that actually experienced it.Also, who knows more about Mixmaster Gee. Can't find much info on him. I assume he is Greg Royal who also did lots of remix stuff, mixing for Dr Dre (the chronic, etc...), and produced the RBX album. Of course, he had his underground classics "The Manipulator" and "Like This".... I would love to have more of his shows. The couple I got are excellent, it really "produced" his show. That must have been a challenge to do every week (assuming it was a weekly show). OK, I'm just babbling...feel free to add your own babble...

Comments

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    In Panorama City, where I lived, it came in real shitty. Better at night for some reason. I don't remember much because I was usually playing records but I remember a battle with Rodney O and some other DJ. The cutting was nice but AM radio sounds shady.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    cant say i ever really heard KDAY that much growing up but we could get the station up here in the Bay Area on really foggy nights. my boy has copies of KDAY shows on tape he used to record on his radio.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    I vaguely remember......

Russ Parr (a.k.a Bobby Jimmy)-weekday mornings doing his comedy stuff....
    Jack Paterson( The name might be wrong but oh well) mid-mornings/afternoons
    Greg mack(afternoons/early evenings)
    Lisa Canning-evenings( she later went on to become a co host for one of those insider/Entertainment tonight type shows don't remember which one though)

They had the mixmasters on the weekdays for quickmixes at noon I think for 30 mins and at 5 for 30 mins (something like that) they had a weekend show on sat. from 8-12 midnight...

at midnight for a while they had a show called High Energy which was, you guessed it... Hi Nrg and freestyle with a bit of miami bass/west coast electro. the only dj I remember from that show was a dude called hamburger helper, he always used to cut krs when he says "hamburger" off of my philosophy. But since he was spinning fast shit he was cuttin it in at 45 rpm....

I missed the Dr Dre era on Kday(I found out my radio could get it down in SD in 86), so the mixmasters that I remember are...
    Tony G,
    M-Walk,
    Julio G,
    Jammin Gemimi,
    Joe Cooley,
    Dj Romeo,
    Ralph M,
    Alladin,
    Battery Brain,
    Tray Ski,
    Battlecat,
    Damn I might have missed a couple but just to give you a better idea....

they also used to broadcast club nights at world on wheels a popular skating rink/turned hip hop club. If I remember correctly(it was 20 years ago after all) one time they had a dj contest and the winner got to become a kday mixmaster alladin was in the contest...

• Damn thatshit sounded dope. Too bad that will never happen again.

• I'm here in San Diego. Like Matamatic said most of my listening would be in the ride. I remember listening to KDAY in my mom's station wagon. I would even sit out in my drive way listening to the 5 o clock traffic jam. Highlights were the mixmaster shows, I remember hearing WC rapping while Alladin was cutting up what I assume were the UBB's live, RUN DMC live at the LA Sports Arena. Great stuff. When a song hit it large, they would literally play the song every hour, I remember hearing Batteram, Plug Tunin', Wrath of My Madness and countless others, played over and over and over. One of the last joints I remember really being played to death was Breed, Ain't No Future.

• thanx for all the feedback. The more hear about that station the better it sounds...such a classic time for hip hop radio. I'm a definite mission to find more recordings from kday...

• ArtichokeArtichoke 112 Posts
    i remember on sundays the format cahnged and they had preachers.

• someone asks for these on another site so might as post them here. A couple mixmaster gee shows from KACE that I downloaded from someone, somewhere, sometime ago...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/be9s4i

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yfa0zr

http://www.sendspace.com/file/5idn92