Peanut Butter Wolf OG/Price Check

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Found a few of these sealed over the weekend. Peanut Butter Wolf's first record, according to the Stones Throw bio there were only 500 copies pressed. There's nothing on the internet about this being reissued, bootlegged, sold on eBay, etc. Price/OG check? Runout groove numbers?

Comments

• Yo man, I think it's safe to say you got a O.G.

• Another HPB scoop?

• I think it's worth 5 bucks. I'll give you 10 for it though?

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    id be interested in one at the right price / after hearing it..

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    DJXRemarkable Had one of these on the wants/trades board a while back, he said he sold it to a guy in Japan, maybe he can shed some light on it's current going value??

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

• M_SMOOTHM_SMOOTH 11 Posts
    I remember seeing a copy being sold on eBay about a year and a half ago. Japan seller... I want to say it went for something in the $50 range.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    where did you end up finding those anyways? also is it any good? i would definately hit up that stones throw message board when you are ready to sell.

• I've always had kind of a hard time selling this record. I thought it sounded pretty average, haven't listened to it in a couple years though.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    At that time, San Jose had so many dope crews around(NH.PU,Derelix,Arrow Pause,Raised By Suess,etc)

It's a shame allot of those recordings only ended up on tape.

Oh,Even though that record is a small press, They turn up a bit and like J**h say's, For a PB.Wolf record,It's kinda hard turn out and it's ok, not headturning.
    Just ok.

I'd say 30...maybe 40 is pushing it a bit.

Try the Stone' page, Someone Is bound to take a bite:)

Good luck homie!

Much peace and respect:
    Adrian

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

THIS place.

Why have a dozen butcher block covers in various states of unpeeling?

Do the numbers of off-the-street beatles buyers with $1000 in their pockets demand it?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Thank y'all. It's a real good record, and San Jose did have an impressive number of crews for being....well....San Jose. Speaking of material that's only on tape, I also found that APG Crew LP on a test press, and the internet tells me they have a cassette-only release that is raw as fuck. Anyone heard/have this?

Some people have expressed interest in buying, but it looks like these copies are going back to PBW himself. Let you know if that changes.

Do the numbers of off-the-street beatles buyers with $1000 in their pockets demand it?

I saw that in the photo too. I'm sure a lot of people who are getting rid of their collections don't even know, so it's one butcher shot here, one butcher shot there. Most of the people who want it aren't going into Rockaway to find it. Then again, what do I know.

I also found that APG Crew LP on a test press, and the internet tells me they have a cassette-only release that is raw as fuck.

Are they one and the same, or two different releases? Assuming Peanut Butter Wolf has (or can get) the rights to the masters, he should reissue it. Then send the tapes out as promo freebies.

I also found that APG Crew LP on a test press, and the internet tells me they have a cassette-only release that is raw as fuck.

Are they one and the same, or two different releases? Assuming Peanut Butter Wolf has (or can get) the rights to the masters, he should reissue it. Then send the tapes out as promo freebies.

Different releases to my understanding:

1991 LP

Overpriced 1989 cassette

The PBW record is unrelated, and has already been booted by some European dickfaces apparently. I don't know the deal with the master tapes.

1991 LP

Overpriced 1989 cassette

The PBW record is unrelated, and has already been booted by some European dickfaces apparently. I don't know the deal with the master tapes.

I remember seeing that album years ago. Is it any good?

• Different releases to my understanding:

1991 LP

Overpriced 1989 cassette

The '89 APG Crew is not cassette-only. I had the LP last year. Good stuff too. I think I got $135 for it.

1991 LP

Overpriced 1989 cassette

The '89 APG Crew is not cassette-only. I had the LP last year. Good stuff too. I think I got $135 for it.

Thanks for clearing that up. Going on my wantlist. It is good, especially if you dig Oakland stuff.

The '89 APG Crew is not cassette-only.

Correct.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

I saw that in the photo too. I'm sure a lot of people who are getting rid of their collections don't even know, so it's one butcher shot here, one butcher shot there. Most of the people who want it aren't going into Rockaway to find it. Then again, what do I know.

Have you been to the store? That pic doesn't do it justice. I mean literally they have a dozen peeled or unpeeled butcher blocks at prices ranging from maybe $700 to over $1k. Silly use of prime LA record wall real estate

Have you been to the store? That pic doesn't do it justice. I mean literally they have a dozen peeled or unpeeled butcher blocks at prices ranging from maybe $700 to over $1k. Silly use of prime LA record wall real estate

A sign that $700 is an excessive amount of money to pay for music that is widely available for cheap? Beatles collectors will never make sense to me.

Never have, but I always liked the ads from when I used to read (and write) for "Goldmine". With luck, I'll be able to make it down before the end of the year.

A sign that $700 is an excessive amount of money to pay for music that is widely available for cheap? Beatles collectors will never make sense to me.

Well, we both know that it's not about the music, but the cover. Of course now, with articles appearing in mainstream circles about the pasted over cover, everyone who still has an old copy are trying to peel/steam it off to see if they have the rarity. Capitol didn't want to waste too much money, so they slapped a new cover on the old, and they pressed up a lot. This means there's a lot more peeled butcher covers than once thought, so for a Beatles collector it's about having:

1) a first state butcher shot
    2) a first state paste-over

Either way, I'm still waiting for someone to discover Wayne Newton's butcher shot cover, with untapped Carol Kaye basslines on early mono pressings, which were petered off by P. Willy Mungmung during subsequent pressings (shown in the matrix by an etching of a beaver.)

• M_SMOOTHM_SMOOTH 11 Posts

1991 LP

Overpriced 1989 cassette

$135??? Thats a grip for that record. But it was a very solid LP for it's time especially for a crew out the Bay. I remember first hearing the crew on Davy D's show on KPFA and the next day I was at Star Records picking that joint up.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Dammmmmnnn!!
    [Star Records
    That shit just brought a tear to my eyes man

Man,how I do miss that place.
    That was the Mecca for rap vinyl for years!!!!!!!
    I grew in that joint.That and Berryesa flea market in the early
    80's was the spot to pick up just unheard of and local records.
    (Rap records that is)

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    the cassette only apg shit you guys need to get your hands on is the mello mar solo tape:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mello-Mar-Say-Goodby...VQQcmdZViewItem

i need both their lps though.