weird CDR situation and question

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
My computer is always actin funny, but this is weird...if I put any other brand of CD-R in my computer besides Magnavox, my computer reads it as a CD-RW and will only write at 2X speed...if I throw a magnavox CD-R in there, im flyin'...not a biggie, Magnavox's are cheap and easy to find, but this problem is just plain strange

Comments

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Has it always been like that (whoever manufactured the particular Magnavox line you purchase is the only type that works) or did something change recently, like a firmware upgrade (or downgrade from having to reinstall OS)?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

You'll want to check if there's new firmware for your burner, it may have changed if you've done any updates to your computer.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Also, might wanna run this Nero freeware diagnostic and see how good the burns are on the one brand you have any luck with - might be that it's time to replace the burner. Also depends on whether you just care about making burns for short-term usage, or want something for more longer-term (multi-year) archival purposes with higher quality media.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=Nero_CD-DVD_Speed

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    reinstalling your driver for the cd burner may help