"Raer" funk for clubs that need to be retired

2»

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    nina, flip to 'young, gifted, & black'. besides wanda davis, any version i'm missing? i prefer nina to wanda, btw, and it costs like $300 less.

Did you get the Nina from me? I've been the one pushing those
    around town, since I have a handful.

As for other versions, Aretha wrote it and recorded the first
    version, on her Never Loved a Man LP, although I don't
    think it is on a US 45, which would mean it is less DJ-friendly I suppose.

• naw...vitrual dig. funny side note: if you search for save me, price is like $60s in spots. search for y,g,black, and price plummets.

anyway, that's my favorite aretha lp, so fuck me for not putting that together. nagl. oh well. not the first oversight on my part......

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    naw...vitrual dig. funny side note: if you search for save me, price is like $60s in spots. search for y,g,black, and price plummets.

Believe me, I know - I sell them on eBay and sometimes I get $40
    and sometimes $15. Weldon Irvine in the heading helps alot.

Too bad you went through the trouble of eBay - I would have hooked
    you up. If anyone asks you about scoring one, send them my way. Unplayed
    store stock UK press in company sleeves, hollah!

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    if i hear a DJ playing burning spear's S.O.U.L. and babe ruth's mexican one more time i think i'm going to vomit.......enough with the "Rare Groove" already...

If you ever saw J-Rocc doubling up on Burning Spear you'd eat your words...
    I don't think I'll ever tire of that song.

• in San Francisco where funk nights are a dime a dozen.

oh if this were only the case, i wish we had 1-2 a month

there arent any really...

the bay is run by whatever commercial radio plays... and gay house music i guess. moist would know.

I (obviously) haven't been out there in a year or two. The Bay Area always seemed to me to be more rare groove/funk friendly than other cities around the US. Apparently not so.

There actually are quite a few rare groove-type nights in the Bay Area. Justin just doesn't go out ever. Then again neither do I. But I see the listings in the newspaper. Somewhere funk is being played.

where? olde soul ? my room? not in the clubs/bars thats for sure.

i tried to work out a monthly w/ some cats that had a warehouse in oakland but shit never really took off. boo.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    in San Francisco where funk nights are a dime a dozen.

the bay is run by whatever commercial radio plays... and gay house music i guess. moist would know.

I (obviously) haven't been out there in a year or two. The Bay Area always seemed to me to be more rare groove/funk friendly than other cities around the US. Apparently not so.

There actually are quite a few rare groove-type nights in the Bay Area. Justin just doesn't go out ever. Then again neither do I. But I see the listings in the newspaper. Somewhere funk is being played.

i tried to work out a monthly w/ some cats that had a warehouse in oakland but shit never really took off. boo.

true that i never go out... however show me some nights where cats we know.. or dont know, are mixing Soul on more than a once a month basis. i KNOW they arent playing that stuff out here on this side of the bay.

...and a riddim party will not count (even though hes rastaboy now)

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts
    in San Francisco where funk nights are a dime a dozen.

true that i never go out... however show me some nights where cats we know.. or dont know, are mixing Soul on more than a once a month basis. i KNOW they arent playing that stuff out here on this side of the bay.

...and a riddim party will not count (even though hes rastaboy now)

maybe late to the table, but I was doing a weekly down here in the south bay at the Blank Club playing nothing but 60's Soul for about a month.

However, I just got bumped for some live bands...

yeah, I know Justin, "Fuck San Jose, right?"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Speaking of rare groove...

So at Funky Sole on Sat, I stepped out while Miles was spinning and when I came back in, he was playing Funk Inc. and looked up and said, "hey, I felt like playing some rare groove," in a way that suggested (as the board's attitude would seem to hold up) that it's kind of played out to, um, play out these sort of tracks.

I regret to say, neither him nor I did spin "Hook and Sling" that evening (nor "Master Piece" for that matter). I did, however, play Jean Knight's "Mr. Big Stuff" and then follow that with Jimmy Hicks, "I'm Mr. Big Stuff" just to be a geek.

(Speaking of more common raers that still sound fucking good: I had forgotten how kick ass Little Royal's "Razor Blade" was until Miles threw it on late in the evening).

And I will add that James Brown's "Give It Up or Turn It Loose" will never get old (especially not when Cut Chemist is cutting up "Clyde!" back and forth).

I also report that I only received two Becky requests:
    "Are you gonna play any hip-hop tonight?"
    "Will you pleeeeaaaase play 'Sexy Back'"?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

So at Funky Sole on Sat, I stepped out while Miles was spinning and when I came back in, he was playing Funk Inc. and looked up and said, "hey, I felt like playing some rare groove," in a way that suggested (as the board's attitude would seem to hold up) that it's kind of played out to, um, play out these sort of tracks.

I regret to say, neither him nor I did spin "Hook and Sling" that evening (nor "Master Piece" for that matter). I did, however, play Jean Knight's "Mr. Big Stuff" and then follow that with Jimmy Hicks, "I'm Mr. Big Stuff" just to be a geek.

(Speaking of more common raers that still sound fucking good: I had forgotten how kick ass Little Royal's "Razor Blade" was until Miles threw it on late in the evening).

And I will add that James Brown's "Give It Up or Turn It Loose" will never get old (especially not when Cut Chemist is cutting up "Clyde!" back and forth).

Haha are you serious? You'd think by now people would know the deal there.

I was just about hit you on your site to see how it went. Unfortunatley I couldn't make it out.
    I honestly think those of us who would roll our eyes at hearing "Kool is Back" are in the minority when it comes to nights like that.
    You've gotta play a few songs people know like "Express Yourself", "Mr. Big Stuff" etc just to keep everyone involved.

Let us know if and when you set up a night in LA. I'll definitley roll through.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Hey Day,

I was surprised - the previous times I've been to FS, I've never been Becky-accosted before so this was surprising. The "Sexy Back" request was pretty funny...I was very polite and said, "sorry, it's not that kind of night."

I'm just glad there's no cover charge - they can't really complain about shit at that point.

And just to clarify for the umpteenth time; my point with the post wasn't so much to have a hate-fest on specific songs as some kind of group-think move. It's more about songs you don't really want to hear anymore as a DJ; not b/c you don't think it's "good" but just out of a preference to hear something different.

In any case, it wasn't "Kool is Back," surprisingly enough. And damn what anyone else says - I'm still feeling rare groove! (So long as it's just a handful of songs and not an hour of organ funk).

*gasp* 5 pager?

Haha are you serious? You'd think by now people would know the deal there.

I was just about hit you on your site to see how it went. Unfortunatley I couldn't make it out.
    I honestly think those of us who would roll our eyes at hearing "Kool is Back" are in the minority when it comes to nights like that.
    You've gotta play a few songs people know like "Express Yourself", "Mr. Big Stuff" etc just to keep everyone involved.

Let us know if and when you set up a night in LA. I'll definitley roll through.