the new El-P album is fire

djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Yeah, I said it.I've only had a chance to listen to it once, but I hear an evolution in his production style- more samples of voice and instrument- equal use of heavy-ass chunky beats, many change-ups and I think I heard him refer to himself as a "whore" at least twice.Good shit. Who's not afraid to admit they sill ride for quality indie hip hop??!!??

Comments

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Who's not afraid to admit they sill ride for quality indie hip hop??!!??
    fuck a fear.

gonna check this out ASAP...

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

I've only had a chance to listen to it once, but I hear an evolution in his production style

He's album is fire, you mean he's better than he was in the past...

Hallelujah!

• sold out at best buy,mad as hell

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    it's cool. there aren't a lot of albums these days that actually sound like a cohesive album, it's one of those deals you feel like you're missing out if you don't listen all the way through. it's pretty thorough. the production is a lot more dense and not as needlessly noisy like some of the stuff on fantastic damage. "drive" is a great track

• co sign about the song drive,heard it on wfmu of all places...

• jonthedjjonthedj 30 Posts
    I must agree. This is what happens when someone with talent waits until he is ready to release a follow up album. Other people in the game should take a lesson.
    Great album tho.

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    I dunno, I'm really distracted by the low grade quality of the guest spots. Trent Reznor??

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    I dunno, I'm really distracted by the low grade quality of the guest spots. Trent Reznor??
    actually i think that's the only one of the announced annoying guest spots i even recognized on the album. i think he knew that overdoing those spots like a lot of people do with 'out of genre' guests would have been stupid, so he kept them pretty toned down

• TabneticTabnetic 206 Posts

I've only had a chance to listen to it once, but I hear an evolution in his production style- more samples of voice and instrument- equal use of heavy-ass chunky beats, many change-ups....

i don't always love his tracks, but i can identify a beat he made from a mile away, and there's something to be said for having the presence of mind and creativity to develop your own sound.

and the drums knock, so who the fuck cares?

• jjohnsonjjohnson 23 Posts
    Can't blame anyone for liking this one.
    Lots of textures with those drums.

Even if you're not paying attention to the lyrics, his voice just seems to ride each track.

btw... Thank/f*ck you Matthew Schneider.
    ... these mp3s has been on heavy rotation until my sandbox order arrives.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Heard that track on the local indie station, I thought it was great.

• joeblowjoeblow 118 Posts
    sold out at best buy,mad as hell

that was very funny to me at this hour for some reason...

BLOW

• dmadma 36 Posts
    It's solidly contructed.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

Who's not afraid to admit they sill ride for quality indie hip hop??!!??

I am not afraid to do so, but I don??t like the new El-P album. It??s not completely bad, but I don??t see so much improvement compared to his previous work. And I can??t stand his voice anymore.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    I love this album and have had it on constant rotation since downloading it a few weeks ago.

I was a bit unsure about it at first but it has really grown on me, as I said in a previous post I???m no fan of EL-P and have only enjoyed one of his tracks before but this is album is on some next shit and what???s more it feels like an album.

From the spoken word intro to the reprise of the final track it feels like a complete album and not a
    collection a tracks thrown together.

Picked up the vinyl of this a few days ago and was surprised to find it included a 7inch on red vinyl which contained remixes of two of the albums tracks.
    I know its kind of stating the obvious but I think to encourage people to buy instead of downloading (or buy after downloading) you need to give the customer something a little extra like a free 7/extensive sleeve notes/nice art work, it just made the purchase feel a little special.

• Soma45Soma45 38 Posts
    This album is ill. Something new & different, which is what I've personally been waiting for. His creativity is no joke. I appreciate the fact that he put his all into this project, and didn't just slap something together for the sake of just putting something out. You can tell countless hours were spent trying to perfect minute details, and the overall structure of these songs. Not saying that is the only recipe for good product, it's just nice to see some serious effort put forth every once and a while.

Anyway, "The Overlydramatic Truth" is my peronal fav. The Mars Volta track is crazy too...

• This album is nice. I like el-p, sorry.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    if i were a producer, i'd want my shit to sound like his. grimey, industrial, multi-layered, hard drums,

i still can't get into his rhymes/voice, but the beats on here kind of make up for that.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    i used to live in the same neighborhood as el-p, he'd hang out at the neighborhood bar sometimes. one night we were partying and he took me back to his place at like 4 in the morning and started playing me some of the new shit....when he said here's something i did with trent reznor is was freaked out, but it makes so much sense they would hook up. listen to "pretty hate machine" lately? anyway, dude is talented and he lives and breathes hip-hop, i wanna peep the album now after almost 100 soulstrut approval!

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    one night we were partying and he took me back to his place at like 4 in the morning and started playing

Yeah, the Trent Reznor colab seems like destiny, just like the track on the first Handsome Boy Modeling School album he did with Alec Empire of Atari Teenage Riot: different paths, same mission.

I don't know about El-P's talk about making club bangers better than the Neptunes (if he only tried, haha), but I like his style nonetheless.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    haha, let me revise, he took me back to his place at four in the morning because i had two girls with me!

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I would cop the instrumentals, but El p's flow remains

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    one night we were partying and he took me back to his place at like 4 in the morning and started playing

when he said here's something i did with trent reznor I was freaked out with jealousy, but it makes so much sense they would hook up

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I don't know about El-P's talk about making club bangers better than the Neptunes
    it wouldn't take much these days

• dayday 9,611 Posts

when he said here's something i did with trent reznor I was freaked out with jealousy, but it makes so much sense they would hook up

Nicely played

CPR has tonnes of stories I'm sure (did you ever explain that Tribe photoshoot?).

I just want to hear the instrumentals. I am not a fan of El-P, but I might go against my better judgement and buy this.[/yeahthatjusthappened]

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I don't know about El-P's talk about making club bangers better than the Neptunes
    it wouldn't take much these days

That was referencing some article where El-P said all he needed to do was bang out some keyboard beats, and he'd top the charts. It was a little bit presumptuous considering his real word moves rarely involve Billboard.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    I'm going to see him tonight at the Troubadour. I'll be picking up the CD.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i've only heard flyentology and smithereens. if the whole album sounds like this, then i think i will have to buy it

i'm not ashamed

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    Yes, it's excellent and the live show with Dibbs and the band is excellent as well.

P.S. Anna, Dibbs wants you and me to go to the 'Nati and DJ with Mrs. Dibbs at Girls on 12s.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    haha, let me revise, he took me back to his place at four in the morning because i had two girls with me!

That's a mental image I'm trying to rid from my head - Mr. Producto in the altogether.