I HATE HUCKABEES! (Actor/Director Meltdown YTR)

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Am I the only person who thought the film was less like the Coen Brothers and much more like a really pretentious Wes Anderson clone (which means it was really REALLY pretentious).

no you're not the only one. The Cohen Bros should not have even entered into this thread ( ). those who see similarities between this huckleberry garbage and the Cohens need to rent Oh Brother, Miller's and Arizona. this weekend. and then come back here.

I like some of Anderson's stuff. That said, huckleberry was like a poor Anderson imitation.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Oh Brother, Miller's and Arizona.

Some of the worst Coen Bros. movies.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    WES ANDERSON SHREDS

i like his Amex ads better than I did "The Life Aquatic."

"Rushmore" was pretty tight. "The Royal Tennenbaums" wasn't quite as good but still bearable.

Where's PT Anderson at, speaking of Andersons?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    WES ANDERSON SHREDS

"Rushmore" was pretty tight. "The Royal Tennenbaums" wasn't quite as good but still bearable.

I am here to say that I can't stand Wes Anderson movies.

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts
    WES ANDERSON SHREDS

I am here to say that I can't stand Wes Anderson movies.

me either. they're weird for the sake of being weird, i get it. i don't want to watch two hours of the same shit, a la the life aquatic. then somewhere in the middle he awkwardly slams some really "intriguing" underwater scene with a mysterious heartfelt song that everyone wants to know the name of.

at least it had seu jorge playing david bowie covers in portugese. that almost makes the movie worth watching.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

"oh brother" i can understand, but "miller's" and "arizona" really??

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,632 Posts

What?!

Millers Crossing was easily their best. I only realized on my 25th viewing that The Dane and Mink were gay lovers. There's a lot under the surface of Millers Crossing that you don't see unless you really pay attention to the writing.

dude you can take them or leave them.

I merely offered them to show:

1. the extreme range of Cohen bros material, i.e. to compare a movie to "the Cohen Bros" is weak since their movies are all pretty unique and different.

2. how these three movies at least in particular have nothing to do with the Huckleberyy movie.

The best Coen's movies: Blood Simple, Barton Fink, Lebowski, The Man Who Wasn't There.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Since we're on the subject of these types of movies, I'd like to say I absolutely hated "Adaptation." What an overblown piece of crap! (Nick Cage or the flim, take your pick.)

and just like that the thread became a discussion of the Cohen bros canon.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    "the Cohen Bros"

Coen

The Cohen Bros should not have even entered into this thread ( ). those who see similarities between this huckleberry garbage and the Cohens need to rent Oh Brother, Miller's and Arizona. this weekend. and then come back here.

the only reason why the Coen Bros were brought up (which twoply pointed out already) is because their characters have no depth usually (and intentionally) and are weirdly vacant and quirky, not because of any similarities stylistically or story wise

i definitely agree with O-dub's comment about Huckabees having the aesthetic of a Wes Anderson flick

Since we're on the subject of these types of movies, I'd like to say I absolutely hated "Adaptation." What an overblown piece of crap! (Nick Cage or the flim, take your pick.)

Trippin'.

(Nick Cage or the flim, take your pick.)

Trippin'.

nick cage, lousy performance? not even possible

i've watched this about 30 times

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

i definitely agree with O-dub's comment about Huckabees having the aesthetic of a Wes Anderson flick
    i agree with it too. however i would watch "life aquatic", which i didn't like, any day over "huckabees".

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

Trippin'.

this looks like a madtv sketch.

"the Cohen Bros"

Coen

lol since when do we correct spelling on the strut? or do you have the same last name and have been correcting people your whole life?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

Trippin'.

this looks like a madtv sketch.
    if the wicker man was all like this it would have been THE GREATEST MOTION PICTURE EVER MADE.

"the Cohen Bros"

Coen

lol since when do we correct spelling on the strut? or do you have the same last name and have been correcting people your whole life?

ha sorry b*n. i don't correct people usually, but i just thought it was hella funny that you were all "the Cohen Bros should not have even entered this thread" and kept spelling their name wrong

"the Cohen Bros"

Coen

ha sorry b*n. i don't correct people usually, but i just thought it was hella funny that you were all "the Cohen Bros should not have even entered this thread" and kept spelling their name wrong

all good. I'm just waiting for them to actually enter the thread.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    The best Coen's movies: Blood Simple, Barton Fink, Lebowski, The Man Who Wasn't There.
    wtf people i said it before and will again - FARGO >>> all of those, although I do love Blood Simple and Lebowski

i like how you call it "that Huckleberry movie" i think i may have to appropriate that one

the scene in Miller's Crossing when Albert Finney gets all killing machine (in a robe) at his house is a riot. that movie is pretty damn entertaining and far from their "worst movie" in my opinion

I did not like Fargo.

the scene in Miller's Crossing when Albert Finney gets all killing machine (in a robe) at his house is a riot. that movie is pretty damn entertaining and far from their "worst movie" in my opinion

I have not watched this in a long time. I would not call any of the Coen's movies I've seen BAD, but the ones being mentioned are not my favorite. I guess "worst" was a bit harsh.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    O Brother is pretty rough i will agree

I don't see how Fargo meets your crit of Coen films generally, though; the characters seemed wholly believable and humanized to me. Unless you have seperate criticisms of that one.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I did not like Fargo.

Blasphemy!

Nah, I can understand why people wouldn't like it, but I thought it was excellent--and utterly hilarious in spots. The shot of the leg sticking up out of the wood chipper is such a Monty Python moment, I completely cracked up in the theater. I earned a lot of evil eyes for that.

O Brother is a masterpiece. >>>>> Citizen Kane.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

You are completely high. Not even their best. And they have yet to approach anything near Citizen Cane.

High.

You are completely high. Not even their best. And they have yet to approach anything near Citizen Cane.

High.

Kane = highly over-rated.

(and so what if I am high?)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Lebowski is my least favorite Coen Brothers movie. (haven't seen Ladykillers)

Hate me now.

And I am a Coen Bros. fan, some of their films are IMO
    among the best of the past 30 years or so.

I just felt Lebowski was so

It came off as quirky for the sake of being quirky,
    and I found myself ice-grilling the entire time.

People live for that movie. My downstairs neighbor
    has a "The Dude Abides" bumpersticker - I didn't bother
    telling him how I felt about Lebowski. Whenever I do,
    people look at me as if I just sexually propositioned
    their child or dog.