Some of the songs Zeppelin "Borrowed From"

2»

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Private loner folk they are not.

I know everyone thinks I have an "I'd rather be listening to amputees" bumper sticker on my car, but that has little to do with why Led Zeppelin suck ass. The fact is that there are many way more interesting "heavy rock" bands of this era. I'll take the MC5 or Amboy Dukes over Zep anyday.

Where were you when I was taking a beating over this on Waxidermy?

I can understand your not wanting to bother with "Dr. X" but damn
    dude, I was left alone to voice my apathy for all things Zep!

haha! when was this? I can only imagine what Dr.X musta been like.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    i'll back crink. they have some good songs, and for sure, 'travelling riverside blues,' is dooope, but zep is pretty ehh to me.

before you think i'm on some elitist shit, freat not; i'll ride for ac/dc any day.

Co-sizzle. On this and preferring MC5. Zep are snoozy time for me.

• these are pretty interesting to listen to. some of the songs are total covers. some are just copied riffs. some are straight lyrical jackings.

http://www.zshare.net/download/zo-rar.html

1. Bert Jansch - Blackwater Side (3:46)Black Mountain Side
    2. Bert Jansch - Go Your Way My Love - intro (0:26)Going To California
    3. Bert Jansch - The Waggoner's Lad - intro (0:51)Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
    4. Blind Willie Johnson - Nobody's Fault But Mine (3:11)
    5. Bobby Parker - Watch Your Step (2:49)Moby Dick
    6. Bukka White - Shake 'Em on Down (3:01)Hats Off To (Roy) Harper
    7. Davey Graham - She Moved Through The Fair (3:07)White Summer
    8. Howlin' Wolf - Killing Floor (2:51)The Lemon Song
    9. Jake Holmes - Dazed and Confused (3:48)
    10. Joan Baez - Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You (2:41)
    11. Josh White - Jesus Gonna Make up My Dying Bed (3:05)In My Time Of Dying
    12. Leadbelly - Gallis Pole (3:01)Gallows Pole
    13. Little Richard - Keep A-Knockin' (2:15)Rock And Roll
    14. Memphis Minnie - When The Levee Breaks (3:11)
    15. Ritchie Valens - Ooh! My Head (1:48)Boogie With Stu
    16. Robert Johnson - Travelling Riverside Blues (2:41)
    17. Sonny Boy Williamson - Bring It On Home (2:36)
    18. Spirit - Taurus (2:37)Stairway To Heaven
    19. The Small Faces - You Need Lovin (3:57)Whole Lotta Love
    20. The Yardbirds - Knowing That I'm Losing You (2:55)Tangerine

this is actually a cd comp mojo magazine put together,unless already mentioned

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    i'll back crink. they have some good songs, and for sure, 'travelling riverside blues,' is dooope, but zep is pretty ehh to me.

before you think i'm on some elitist shit, freat not; i'll ride for ac/dc any day.

God. You people have no sense of what "real music" is. MC5!!??? Talk about din to my ears! Led Zeppelin borrowed from so many facets of music that they can create any mood. Not to mention they are 4 of the best rock musicians evar. Physical Graffiti is the bible of rock. Stop comparing them to 3 chord hack punkers!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Private loner folk they are not.

I know everyone thinks I have an "I'd rather be listening to amputees" bumper sticker on my car

Best bumper sticker ever? Hell, I'd rock one, but I'd live in constant fear of finding a gang of amputees waiting for me in a dark parking lot one night.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

God. You people have no sense of what "real music" is. MC5!!??? Talk about din to my ears! Led Zeppelin borrowed from so many facets of music that they can create any mood. Not to mention they are 4 of the best rock musicians evar. Physical Graffiti is the bible of rock. Stop comparing them to 3 chord hack punkers!

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    That Davey Graham track certainly inspires you to get your acoustic guitar game up. Cot damn! Dude can play.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Easy on the MC5 there, Raj! I love Zeppelin, but I'm not about to knock any hard-rock band that covers Archie Shepp and Sun Ra.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Easy on the MC5 there, Raj! I love Zeppelin, but I'm not about to knock any hard-rock band that covers Archie Shepp and Sun Ra.

I am not well versed in MC5. I had the Kick Out the Jams LP and it was way to hard on my ears. Way too much noise and treble for my taste. They have a lot of history in Detroit... which I can respect since I go there digging once a year and it's cool to see their old white panther headquarters all boarded up. BUT... there is a reason why Led Zep is the biggest rock band of all time and MC5 is not.

freal...a lot of people have high school memories of smoking pot behind the bleachers, wild car rides and making out with weird chicks with led zep as a backdrop. crink, you still got time to make some of these highschool memories...make it happen instead of being a thrift store/bedroom, recorded outsider art listening recluse.

no quarter for suckers

freal...a lot of people have high school memories of smoking pot behind the bleachers, wild car rides and making out with weird chicks with led zep as a backdrop.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    freal...a lot of people have high school memories of making out with weird chicks with led zep as a backdrop.

There was this one girl at my high school who seduced me after a kegger by taking into her basement lair and playing no quarter. Shit was mad erotic.

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts
    where is willie dixon - i can't quit you babe?

i'm still kind of torn regarding zeppelin. despite all the "borrowing" they did, they also wrote some really amazing original songs like achilles last stand (next level shit), the rain song, the battle of evermore, etc.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    hey while we're talking about Willie Dixon, do you think he credited Sister Rosetta Tharpe for his tune "My Babe", which was just her gospel classic "This Train" with different, secular lyrics? Nope, I don't think he did.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    hey while we're talking about Willie Dixon, do you think he credited Sister Rosetta Tharpe for his tune "My Babe", which was just her gospel classic "This Train" with different, secular lyrics? Nope, I don't think he did.

This thread is funny.

I heard a Zep, Plant or Page on Terry Gross saying how they didn't rip Willie Dixon off because they were part of the blues continuum. Unknown slaves > Robert Johnson > Willie Dixon > Led Zeppelin. A natural continuum that they are just a small part of. Eric Clapton also likes to talk about how nobody understands Robert Johnson the way He does because He is spiritually one with Robert Johnson. And apparently God. Can't tell you how much I hate these guys.

Led Zep are over blown theatrical operatic pretty boys. If that's how you like your music fine.

For most of the 60s and 70s people recording Robert Johnson, Son House, Memphis Minnie songs, considered the songs traditional, meaning they took all royalties. Some may have been traditional, but many were composed and it was the vane superiority of people like Plant and Page that lead them to think that blues singers were to primitive to have actually composed something.

Just my opinion, please continue with your love fest.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I heard a Zep, Plant or Page on Terry Gross saying how they didn't rip Willie Dixon off because they were part of the blues continuum. Unknown slaves > Robert Johnson > Willie Dixon > Led Zeppelin. A natural continuum that they are just a small part of.

maybe that's ridiculous...but maybe it's also ridiculous to say it's OK for one musician to borrow/steal from another, as long as they're both black.

This thread is funny.

I heard a Zep, Plant or Page on Terry Gross saying how they didn't rip Willie Dixon off because they were part of the blues continuum. Unknown slaves > Robert Johnson > Willie Dixon > Led Zeppelin. A natural continuum that they are just a small part of. Eric Clapton also likes to talk about how nobody understands Robert Johnson the way He does because He is spiritually one with Robert Johnson. And apparently God. Can't tell you how much I hate these guys.

Led Zep are over blown theatrical operatic pretty boys. If that's how you like your music fine.

For most of the 60s and 70s people recording Robert Johnson, Son House, Memphis Minnie songs, considered the songs traditional, meaning they took all royalties. Some may have been traditional, but many were composed and it was the vane superiority of people like Plant and Page that lead them to think that blues singers were to primitive to have actually composed something.

Just my opinion, please continue with your love fest.

dan, i am still happy to hear zeppelin on the radio

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

you sound like a purist

I live in Detroit, I should rep for the Mc5 & the Amboy Dukes...they're both good, but Zep just destroys them. we're talking groups with half a dozen good songs vs classic deep catalog.

---

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

you sound like a purist

---

Just someone who doesn't like overblown theatricaloperatic pretty boys. Well maybe pretty boys are ok, but the other part I don't care for.

But you are right, I don't much care for rock, and I love all kinds of root music. So I guess I am purist.

Maybe we need a purist gremlin.

I can understand people my dad's age who wax nostalgic about youthful stoner antics under the influence of Led Zep. I however truly cannot understand people my age (or close) feeling like they are the soundtrack to teenage revolution. They were a very slick, well marketed, and totally bland rock group lacking any originality. They are not so much bad as appaulingly mediocre and over-rated. I laughed at the hacky-sackers in High School who listened to Zep and the Doors, but it's really sad that people who've supposedly heard a lot of music still go for this shit.

• They were a very slick, well marketed, and totally bland rock group lacking any originality.

Maybe they got overexposed in the US or something (i understand they were/are rarely off the radio), but in the UK Led Zeppelin have NEVER released a single and promotion for their albums was very low-key/non-existent - Yet they still sold absolutely shedloads of albums: This was due to the quality of their music and their awesome live show alone.

I'm guessing you think the Beatles are over-rated as well...

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    They were a very slick, well marketed, and totally bland rock group lacking any originality.

Maybe they got overexposed in the US or something (i understand they were/are rarely off the radio), but in the UK Led Zeppelin have NEVER released a single and promotion for their albums was very low-key/non-existent - Yet they still sold absolutely shedloads of albums: This was due to the quality of their music and their awesome live show alone.

I'm guessing you think the Beatles are over-rated as well...

no offense to crink, but i agree with this dude! zeppelin sound really original to me, ive heard plenty of music from this era, and really not much sounds as distinct and original as led zeppelin...maybe my ears are broken?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    giving some of my toggled favorites a sunset tour.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Some classic hcrink contrarianism up in this baby.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hilarious. That dude...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I feel LZ borrowed nicely from The Beatles' "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" for "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You", not only the riff that Jimmy Page plays throughout, but that last note in the LZ song sounds like the first note in The Beatles song.

Which leads us to Chicago ripping both of them off for "25 Or 6 To 4", but still.

• Just saying the guitar solo in Achilles Last Stand is the GOAT in rock, next to maybe Mark Knopfler on Sultans of Swing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFRFtnTd620#t=3m40s