Some of the songs Zeppelin "Borrowed From"

jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
these are pretty interesting to listen to. some of the songs are total covers. some are just copied riffs. some are straight lyrical jackings. http://www.zshare.net/download/zo-rar.html1. Bert Jansch - Blackwater Side (3:46)Black Mountain Side2. Bert Jansch - Go Your Way My Love - intro (0:26)Going To California3. Bert Jansch - The Waggoner's Lad - intro (0:51)Bron-Y-Aur Stomp4. Blind Willie Johnson - Nobody's Fault But Mine (3:11)5. Bobby Parker - Watch Your Step (2:49)Moby Dick6. Bukka White - Shake 'Em on Down (3:01)Hats Off To (Roy) Harper7. Davey Graham - She Moved Through The Fair (3:07)White Summer8. Howlin' Wolf - Killing Floor (2:51)The Lemon Song9. Jake Holmes - Dazed and Confused (3:48)10. Joan Baez - Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You (2:41)11. Josh White - Jesus Gonna Make up My Dying Bed (3:05)In My Time Of Dying12. Leadbelly - Gallis Pole (3:01)Gallows Pole13. Little Richard - Keep A-Knockin' (2:15)Rock And Roll14. Memphis Minnie - When The Levee Breaks (3:11)15. Ritchie Valens - Ooh! My Head (1:48)Boogie With Stu16. Robert Johnson - Travelling Riverside Blues (2:41)17. Sonny Boy Williamson - Bring It On Home (2:36)18. Spirit - Taurus (2:37)Stairway To Heaven19. The Small Faces - You Need Lovin (3:57)Whole Lotta Love20. The Yardbirds - Knowing That I'm Losing You (2:55)Tangerine

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    these are pretty interesting to listen to. some of the songs are total covers. some are just copied riffs. some are straight lyrical jackings.

http://www.zshare.net/download/zo-rar.html

1. Bert Jansch - Blackwater Side (3:46)Black Mountain Side
    2. Bert Jansch - Go Your Way My Love - intro (0:26)Going To California
    3. Bert Jansch - The Waggoner's Lad - intro (0:51)Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
    4. Blind Willie Johnson - Nobody's Fault But Mine (3:11)
    5. Bobby Parker - Watch Your Step (2:49)Moby Dick
    6. Bukka White - Shake 'Em on Down (3:01)Hats Off To (Roy) Harper
    7. Davey Graham - She Moved Through The Fair (3:07)White Summer
    8. Howlin' Wolf - Killing Floor (2:51)The Lemon Song
    9. Jake Holmes - Dazed and Confused (3:48)
    10. Joan Baez - Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You (2:41)
    11. Josh White - Jesus Gonna Make up My Dying Bed (3:05)In My Time Of Dying
    12. Leadbelly - Gallis Pole (3:01)Gallows Pole
    13. Little Richard - Keep A-Knockin' (2:15)Rock And Roll
    14. Memphis Minnie - When The Levee Breaks (3:11)
    15. Ritchie Valens - Ooh! My Head (1:48)Boogie With Stu
    16. Robert Johnson - Travelling Riverside Blues (2:41)
    17. Sonny Boy Williamson - Bring It On Home (2:36)
    18. Spirit - Taurus (2:37)Stairway To Heaven
    19. The Small Faces - You Need Lovin (3:57)Whole Lotta Love
    20. The Yardbirds - Knowing That I'm Losing You (2:55)Tangerine

Weird. Yesterday, someone started a thread on this very topic on another board I visit.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    well theres some new book out that tALKs about alot of rock n rolls biggest rip offs, so there is a refreshed interest.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This in no way changes the way I think about Led Zeppelin. STILL GOAT!

i agree.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    This in no way changes the way I think about Led Zeppelin. STILL GOAT!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    16. Robert Johnson - Travelling Riverside Blues (2:41)

Their version sounds VERY little like the original and fucking
    KILLZZZZZZZZZZZ

Dope fucking song, not on any of their major released albums in the original run.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    ummm...wasnt Jimmy Page actually IN the Yardbirds?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    This is something that bothered me about 15 years ago. You getting on a slippery slope that leave you with nothing but jimi hendrix some prog records in your rock section.

what do you play a RAR file in...this download is confusing me

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

You need stuffit to unzip it.. They make it for windows.

ah, thanks

• what do you play a RAR file in...this download is confusing me

ah, thanks

can you listen on a mac?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Zeppelin are dreadful.

Zeppelin are dreadful.

you sound like an old lady.

Zeppelin are dreadful.

Which does not make them (Zep) suck any less.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Zeppelin are dreadful.

Leave Crink alone he is still in mourning from Elise's hasty departure.

sidenote: winzip also opens RAR files along with WinRar (both free downloads)

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    well, they had really fucking good taste, if nothing else...haha

these tracks are great

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

sidenote: winzip also opens RAR files along with WinRar (both free downloads)

Fuck Winzip. It's all about ExtractNow!

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    ummm...wasnt Jimmy Page actually IN the Yardbirds?

ya indeed. hes on this one a lot:

and in fact the "white summer" on it is a precursor to Black Mountain Side.

There are a couple of tracks on that record that blow away anything Zeppelin ever did.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    thanks for posting this! I can't wait to play this for my dad who is one of Zeppelin's biggest fans. He still tells me and my friends stories of when they opened for some band (I think it was Iron Butterfly) and the night after, he bought tickets for all of his friends so they could see the Zep for themselves.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

I'm pretty sure this is a "traditional" song that Leadbelly just recorded the definitive version of. Much like "House of the Rising Sun"/"Rising Sun Blues", "In the Pines" etc.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

I'm pretty sure this is a "traditional" song that Leadbelly just recorded the definitive version of. Much like "House of the Rising Sun"/"Rising Sun Blues", "In the Pines" etc.

Yeah, this is kinda the key to a lot of it. Basically, what Zep did was extend the folk/blues tradition of adaptation into rock, but where they differed from a lot of British bluesers like Fleetwood Mac or John Mayall was that they didn't always credit the sources. It's a little like Paul Simon learning "Scarborough Fair" off Martin Carthy, then taking it back to America, recording it and essentially passing it off as a Simon original without acknowledging its source as a traditional English folk song. A few times in Zep's case, such as with "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" and "Dazed and Confused", they arguably crossed the line into outright plagiarism. If you check the credits on the recent-ish "How The West Was Won" live album, you'll notice that Willie Dixon is now credited on "Whole Lotta Love", and I have it on good authority that part of the reason they never went after anyone for sampling the drums on "When The Levee Breaks" is because they were being sued (successfully, as it turned out) by the estate of Memphis Minnie, and it would have prejudiced their case if they'd claimed authorship of the song in any way.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Zeppelin are dreadful.

Which does not make them (Zep) suck any less.

True. Because they suck not at all. Private loner folk they are not.

But awesome they are.

Private loner folk they are not.

I know everyone thinks I have an "I'd rather be listening to amputees" bumper sticker on my car, but that has little to do with why Led Zeppelin suck ass. The fact is that there are many way more interesting "heavy rock" bands of this era. I'll take the MC5 or Amboy Dukes over Zep anyday.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I know everyone thinks I have an "I'd rather be listening to amputees" bumper sticker on my car, but that has little to do with why Led Zeppelin suck ass. The fact is that there are many way more interesting "heavy rock" bands of this era. I'll take the MC5 or Amboy Dukes over Zep anyday.

Damn, dude... the Dukes have a few cuts and all but their catalog does not stand up to Zep's at all

• i'll back crink. they have some good songs, and for sure, 'travelling riverside blues,' is dooope, but zep is pretty ehh to me.

before you think i'm on some elitist shit, freat not; i'll ride for ac/dc any day.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    BTW, I grew up w/Zeppelin so I can't really speak on them objectively - only in recent years did I realize how corny some of their shit is. But they're definitely way better than the Amboy Dukes - and a lot of other bands of the era.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Yeah, but the great stuff far outnumbers the corny stuff.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Where were you when I was taking a beating over this on Waxidermy?

I can understand your not wanting to bother with "Dr. X" but damn
    dude, I was left alone to voice my apathy for all things Zep!