Spoken word LPs you wish were instrumental

m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I'm listening to this right now:and I'm thinking "PLEASE SHUT UP MR. SOMBRE BRITISH SHAKESPEARE DRAMA QUEEN" because this guy John Carbery is reciting Malcolm Lowry poems all over the fucking thing! I mean it would be OK if the bloke would just shut up once in a while, but noooo, he does not stop for more than a minute or two at a time over the course of 3 album sides. No disrespect to Mr. Carbery who is probably a nice chap, but arrrrrgh.I know what the premise of the record is, but if it's not possible to make Lowry and Collier gel better than this, I'd much rather dissect them as two seperate entities. The music underneath the constant blabbering is good, and I really like Graham Collier, so I'm just frustrated that it isn't allowed to breathe a little moreI would have thrown this in the sell pile if it wasn't for Side 4 which is a 23 minute instrumental that makes it a keeper anyway.Any other spoken word albums where the words should have been shushed?Of course this pertains to spoken word LPs with some sort of musical backing, not stripped-down poetry reading. Duh.

Comments