Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra in LA

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Anybody gonna go see them this Thursday in LA?

Comments

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    you mean the one with the Lion's? I'm thinking about it. Did anyone (besides me) see the Abyssinians last Wednesday? Amazing show.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Was I the only Strutter to go see Amy Winehouse at the Roxy last night?

Even though she's a tabloid wreck, I have to say: not mad at her.

Wish the Dapkings got some billing love though.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I was going to start a thread about, but this seems like a good time to ask:

What's the verdict on this new Antibalas LP?

I didn't even know they had a new release out until I was clearing my hotmail (newsletters et al) and read this from Ropeadope:

Antibalas, the acclaimed, socially and politically-minded group will release its Anti- debut on March 6th. Titled Security, the collective - with an active lineup of about a dozen musicians - worked with innovative producer John McEntire (Stereolab, Tom Ze) of Tortoise on the new disc. In conjunction with the disc?s release, Antibalas has set select U.S. tour dates for March and April. Pushing itself beyond the revolutionary Afrobeat blueprint the group used as a launching pad in the late '90s, Antibalas illustrates its penchant for taking chances, building on its acclaimed back catalog, and recent collaborations with the likes of TV on the Radio, Baaba Maal and Gomez. The seven new original compositions presented on Security unleash a previously unheard side of the group. Illustrating a darker, more dynamic tack that's guaranteed to shock and dazzle new and old fans alike, this is music that was made to linger long after the party's over.

Sounds interesting.

Is it?

• ArtichokeArtichoke 112 Posts
    I'm going to the show to see The Lions
    Antibalas kills it everytime. The new LP is
    word up.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    They kill it live no doubt. Saw them in 2003, great show. I'd like to check them out again.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I was going to start a thread about, but this seems like a good time to ask:

Sounds interesting.

Is it?

I think so. Working with John McEntire has certainly led to a refreshingly new sound (nothing extreme but certainly noticeable). The drums and bass have that thick yet dry Tortoise-like sound (if I'm describing that accurately). The horns sound great. Not necessarily a heavy dancefloor record (unless you happen to spin to a very afrobeat oriented crowd ... whereas older songs like Battle of the Species could cross over more) but great for listening. I like it better than their last couple of LPs.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I might. The Lions sound very good

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I think the verdict is this LP has more braekz.

• I was going to start a thread about, but this seems like a good time to ask:

Sounds interesting.

Is it?

I think so. Working with John McEntire has certainly led to a refreshingly new sound (nothing extreme but certainly noticeable). The drums and bass have that thick yet dry Tortoise-like sound (if I'm describing that accurately). The horns sound great. Not necessarily a heavy dancefloor record (unless you happen to spin to a very afrobeat oriented crowd ... whereas older songs like Battle of the Species could cross over more) but great for listening. I like it better than their last couple of LPs.

I agree-I think this is their best work so far. I think working with McEntire has definately improved their sound. I never was really into Tortoise but I have to say JM is killing it as a producer. If you feel the same way check out Pit Er Pat/Thrill Jockey.

and yo O Dub-how was that Amy Winehouse show?-I got a ticket here in Chicago for May-I am really feeling that album right now.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    I listened to the new album over the weekend, and while I liked it, I think it???s a bit more disjointed than their last couple albums. A couple tracks really do echo what Tortoise was doing with the ???heavy/dry??? rhythm section on Standards. On the other hand, some of the vocal tracks sound like an extension of ???Who is This America????

Going to see them live is usually worth the money, as everyone seems to have noted.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I listened to the new record briefly last weekend and thought it was a little tepid. Don't like the new sound too much. I never thought they were that great on record. I like that they are now trying to put together something that is their own sound. However, they were more successful with Che Che Cole in that regard.

Did anyone catch Ocote Soul Sounds at SXSW? They are like Antibalas on PCP. Actually, they are Antibalas on PCP. They do covers of Haile Mergu and Willy Bobo.

I like that they are now trying to put together something that is their own sound. However, they were more successful with Che Che Cole in that regard.

Truth.
    The Che Che 12" is great, but, perhaps because it is a cover a debate could be made that they weren't really forging much of a 'new' sound.
    This newest album seems like it has influences pulling it in opposite directions. I'll be interested to see what happens with the newer material at a show.

Does is seem like JM was sort of pulling the sound in the direction of NOMO, or maybe more directly that Konono/Congotronics reverb-drone, to anyone else?

Oh, and Big Spliff, this is hot too, I can only imagine what they do live.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I like that they are now trying to put together something that is their own sound. However, they were more successful with Che Che Cole in that regard.

Truth.
    The Che Che 12" is great, but, perhaps because it is a cover a debate could be made that they weren't really forging much of a 'new' sound.
    This newest album seems like it has influences pulling it in opposite directions. I'll be interested to see what happens with the newer material at a show.

Does is seem like JM was sort of pulling the sound in the direction of NOMO, or maybe more directly that Konono/Congotronics reverb-drone, to anyone else?

I thought Che Che sounded so different from the rest of their stuff which is clearly Fela inspired/copied. I love the first Ocote 45. Is that record good? Is Spliff involved.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Is that record cd[/b] good?

Affirmative.

Truth.

I thought Che Che sounded so different from the rest of their stuff which is clearly Fela inspired/copied. I love the first Ocote 45. Is that record good? Is Spliff involved.

Che Che Makossa was an innovative mashup, but it's from quite a few years ago and is more of a Daptone production.

Ocote Soul Sounds is nothing to do with me beyond the fact that they are homies, but they are basically a stripped down Antibalas/El Michels Affair lineup with more eclectic sounds, and a lil funkier, more like the Daktaris. Live was facemelt.

It's a shame that Antibalas gets the biggest crowds in NYC when their smaller (side) projects at smaller venues (cough!) are where it's really at: Bronx River Pkway, El Michels Affair, Ocote Soul, Chico Mann, all have at least 2 or 3 members of Antibalas in them. Check them if you get the chance.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Truth.

Che Che Makossa was an innovative mashup, but it's from quite a few years ago and is more of a Daptone production.

Ocote Soul Sounds is nothing to do with me beyond the fact that they are homies, but they are basically a stripped down Antibalas/El Michels Affair lineup with more eclectic sounds, and a lil funkier, more like the Daktaris. Live was facemelt.

It's a shame that Antibalas gets the biggest crowds in NYC when their smaller (side) projects at smaller venues (cough!) are where it's really at: Bronx River Pkway, El Michels Affair, Ocote Soul, Chico Mann, all have at least 2 or 3 members of Antibalas in them. Check them if you get the chance.

I've been closing with Look Sharp since it came out. I would love to see Ocote and El Mikes but live on the left coast so no love. Budos was just here and was . I think they are onto something more original, a nice mix of RB and Afro sounds.

Oh, yeah, I know what you mean (I think things get a bit solipsistic when you are describing - whats the term here that isn't derrogatory? - 'throwback' bands.) Since Che Che Cole wasn't their usual thing, it was a departure for them, but still a departure onto a somewhat previously trodden path (Harlem River Drive/Dibango/Fania in a blender) This new thing, possible Konono/McEntire infulence notwithstanding, is more of their 'own thing'.

I see BigSpliff broke it down while I was writing this, so... um, what he said.

and yo O Dub-how was that Amy Winehouse show?-I got a ticket here in Chicago for May-I am really feeling that album right now.

It's entertaining albeit kind of brief. She does about...2/3rds the new album plus maybe one or two more during the encore? But I have to say - the Remi/Ronson combo created some really nice tunes for ol' girl that go well with what the Dapkings can execute. I had a good time even though I find the hypery behind Winehouse to be off-putting.

I just want to hear her and Sharon Jones do a song together.

Re: the new Antibalas - I think it's cool - not that dissimilar from their older stuff. Can't say it's my listen-anytime cup of tea but I'm not mad at it.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

I was there. Good show. Too bad she can only make one of her scheduled shows a week.

I was there. Good show. Too bad she can only make one of her scheduled shows a week.

Pete - the reason she cancelled at Spaceland wasn't that notorious - it's b/c they realized her band wouldn't fit on the stage at the venue. What's wack is that you figured someone would have figured that out AHEAD OF TIME before they booked it but for once, she didn't cancel b/c she was too busy boozing up.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

Pete - the reason she cancelled at Spaceland wasn't that notorious - it's b/c they realized her band wouldn't fit on the stage at the venue. What's wack is that you figured someone would have figured that out AHEAD OF TIME before they booked it but for once, she didn't cancel b/c she was too busy boozing up.

Wow - stage logistics are some of the first things that are figured out when making the deal. i find that hard to believe, but i guess dumber shit has happened.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

what?! so that's why i didn't get to see her?! pete please find out what dumbfuck jr manager i need to slap for payback...