IS ROYKSOPP LIKED HERE???

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
i was just wondering what you thought because you are a bunch of the coolest guys i've ever met in my life... your opinion matters to me

Comments

• bubor0ckbubor0ck 141 Posts
    hah is this a parody thread or something?? Royksopp does not really seem like the type of thing poppin on the one like phillyphills radar.

It'd been a while since I'd checked Melody A.M, but I dug it out a few months ago when I was spending alot of time in the library. I think that album has aged very well and is still outstanding.

The Understanding is not really my thing. There's more vocal tracks which I don't think play that well to their stregnths. It's also a little epic/anthemic in spots which I don't find nearly as engaging as the debut.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i haven't heard any of their new shit lately, but i really dug the track Eple off one of their earlier albums.

and i always dug the video too.

i suspect most dudes here probably think this group is too ibiza. but i have heard some pretty good stuff from them.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    they're too zzz easy listening for me usually but I do like their memory lane remix of that streets song 'weak become heroes'

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Peaople still sometimes sing poor leno to me....because my name is paul & it sounds like paulino. That is all.

• bubor0ckbubor0ck 141 Posts
    they're too zzz easy listening for me usually

i think they manage to tread a very fine line here but mostly end up on the right side. i was worried that revisiting Melody would expose it to be on the cafe del mar/blazing downtempo tip, and while it is very tempered it doesn't come off as contrived as could be.

Interesting tidbit: I heard they had almost NO gear of their own when recording that album and for the most part got by by buying gear, using it as much as possible, and returning after a couple weeks. Must have been pre-restocking fees or something, but kinda cool.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That song that's on the caveman commercial is that shit. But mostly cause it's on that caveman commercial.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Their first album was amazing. Their newer album was borderline unlistenable. I have heard they put on a great live show. That's the extent of my opinion on them.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Their first album was amazing. Their newer album was borderline unlistenable. I have heard they put on a great live show. That's the extent of my opinion on them.

Right on all counts.

• Their first album was amazing. Their newer album was borderline unlistenable. I have heard they put on a great live show. That's the extent of my opinion on them.

Right on all counts.

yeah, cosign on this. And aren't these the guys behind the Scandanavian wunderkid Annie?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts

Right on all counts.

yeah, cosign on this. And aren't these the guys behind the Scandanavian wunderkid Annie?

I think they've worked with her but are more closely affiliated with Kings of Convenience. Annie's collaborator when she emerged around 2000 was a dude called DJ Erot, who was also her boyfriend and who died of heart problems just as she was starting to generate a buzz off her first single.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    okay, thanks! I just wanted to know if i should like their music or not. I'm still not sure but i think it's okay for me to listen to the 1st album. Is that the one with "Remind ME" (and is that the caveman commercial song?)? i don't know but i sure do feel better now about it anyway (whew)! thanks, dudes

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Right on all counts.

I think they've worked with her but are more closely affiliated with Kings of Convenience. Annie's collaborator when she emerged around 2000 was a dude called DJ Erot, who was also her boyfriend and who died of heart problems just as she was starting to generate a buzz off her first single.

I have a few of Erot's productions. Nice instrumental prog disco, no strings. I was really surprised when I heard he passed.

• okay, thanks! I just wanted to know if i should like their music or not. I'm still not sure but i think it's okay for me to listen to the 1st album. Is that the one with "Remind ME" (and is that the caveman commercial song?)? i don't know but i sure do feel better now about it anyway (whew)! thanks, dudes

yes to both your questions.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    They introduced me to Gals and Pals version of Blue On Blue which gives them a big plus point in my book. Apart from that haven't really listened to any of thier music since Melody AM came out.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Scandanavian wunderkid Annie?

I've got this long ass edit of "Greatest Hit" that kills it on the dancefloor. Can't go wrong with putting "Everybody" by Madonna to good use. I kinda dig that whole Annie album too.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    they're too zzz easy listening for me usually but I do like the streets'

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    they're too zzz easy listening for me usually but I do like the streets'

i dont know why you cut off the rest of what i posted but have you actually heard the royksopp remix of that streets song? Great straight up house track

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    i preferred the Ashley Beedle remix, both were still

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    The remix of Beck's "Missing" was purty good.

• they're too zzz easy listening for me usually but I do like the streets'

word up
    peep "fusions" straight cameo rip with that ill moog line...some 1982 boogie shit, dripping with activator.