al green in hot pants w/ a purse

deejdeej 5,125 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    You forgot to mention glitter buccaneer boots, crazy pink fur pimp fedora with matching hot pink tank top! And pulls it off nicely!

I'll be damned. This clip needs to be trotted out whenever old-timers start talking about how back in the day performers had more dignity, restraint,etc, blah blah blah....that is wild.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    That's the greatest outfit I've seen in a while. Modern soul artists need to get over dressing like "What's Goin' On" era Gaye and start dressing like "Gets Next to You" era Green.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    This clip needs to be trotted out whenever old-timers start talking about how back in the day performers had more dignity, restraint,etc, blah blah blah....that is wild.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I am fucking speechless.

He is in drag...

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Modern soul artists need to get over dressing like "What's Goin' On" era Gaye and start dressing like "Gets Next to You" era Green.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I had the exact same outfit last time I went to a Pimps n Hoes party - I couldn't decide whether to go as a pimp or a hoe.

When you've got a voice like that though, noone can tell you anything. The all-singing all-dancing Andre 3000 however, we can request some restraint from.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    that's G - that dude would still pull any girl in that crowd in that outfit... i wish i could do that

• In Dead Presidents, there is a cool old clip of Al on Soul Train (attired in a big pimp hat, no shirt, suspenders and I think hot pants or maybe furry shorts) playing in Larenz Tate's character's room when he dies.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Supposedly Ike Turner's band, female AND male, dressed the same way around that same time...there's a story about how once in the early seventies the whole entourage strolled into a Mississippi soul food restaurant dressed like Al Green on that video clip...nothing happened, they ordered their food and lived to tell the story, but the stares and whispers they got from these old black sharecroppers were so intense they couldn't wait to get out of there...too bad no photos exist of the male members in their hot pants and hip boots...the closest I've ever seen is the inner gatefold of Strange Fruit by the Family Vibes (which was Ike Turner's Kings of Rhythm with an updated name)...nothing as quaint as what those dirt farmers probably saw, but just as outlandish...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    i dunno, it seems to be working pretty well for him in that clip though (nullus)

• Mutha****as wanna be Al Green/

Dressed like they from Pakistan/

Dressed like they from Pakistan.

(repeat to your liking))

- Kool Keith

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Al Green can do what he wants. That might be the best lipsync performence I have ever seen.

I seriously doubted he dressed himself that day. I can just hear some costume director saying "Al, you don't look Black enough" (or street enough).

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Al Green can do what he wants. That might be the best lipsync performence I have ever seen.

I seriously doubted he dressed himself that day. I can just hear some costume director saying "Al, you don't look Black enough" (or street enough).

After checking his outlandish getup on the cover of Al Green Gets Next To You, I can easily see him looking like he's walking the Ho Stroll.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    In Dead Presidents, there is a cool old clip of Al on Soul Train (attired in a big pimp hat, no shirt, suspenders and I think hot pants or maybe furry shorts) playing in Larenz Tate's character's room when he dies.
    actually thats the scene when chris tucker ods on dope, but yeah he is pimped the fuck out in that scene. Im surprised a lot of you have never seen reverend Al like that. Back then he was "suga bear green"

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    i'd take that over those corny all-over print hoodies.

• In Dead Presidents, there is a cool old clip of Al on Soul Train (attired in a big pimp hat, no shirt, suspenders and I think hot pants or maybe furry shorts) playing in Larenz Tate's character's room when he dies.

Oops. Couldn't see the vid when I posted this. Same clip.