a couple of aussie breaks

maxveritechmaxveritech 87 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
gday gday,don't know if this stuff is common knowledge or not but thought i'd post a couple of sound clips of some aussie breaks i've uncovered recently. as far as i know, these breaks are nothing ground breaking, but for fellow antipodean beat heads and those interested in the world of open drums, i thought i'd try and pay back a little of the knowledge that soulstrut has hipped me to over the years...chris foley - slow street fast corner LPMr Raincoatsherbert - on with the show LPWe Can Make It Rightsomething to do while stuck in a creative lull in front of computer and turntable!cheersmax

Comments

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Jackie Orszacky's "Friend's of Mrs. S" would have to be my favourite aussie break.

• Jackie Orszacky's "Friend's of Mrs. S" would have to be my favourite aussie break.

Haven't actually heard that one. Those two breaks aren't my faves, just a couple I noticed in my crates - the Daly-Wilson "Dirty Feet" drums are pretty classic!

• hot beat hugh... really nice!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    hot beat hugh... really nice!
    Mistaken identity?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    hot beat hugh... really nice!

I'm not Hugh, but given he is a top bloke with deep crates, I am appropriately flattered!

• ha - thats Mark, and he's very kind re: my crates

Damn Hugh, since when did you only have 73 posts?

Name change?

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    yep - wanted to make things more personable, and did it pre the ability to change things with $$$

• uh whoops, sorry blokes! a case indeed of mistake antipodean identity. guess that's what happens when you strut early in the morning! apologies to hugh and mark for the confusion!

and i'm max!

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    Jackie Orszacky's "Friend's of Mrs. S" would have to be my favourite aussie break.

Haven't actually heard that one. Those two breaks aren't my faves, just a couple I noticed in my crates - the Daly-Wilson "Dirty Feet" drums are pretty classic!

Yeah i picked up a couple of Daly Wilson Big Band LP's a couple of weeks back. Chock full of nice breaks.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

this is sick. both sides of this! i still have an extra copy if anyone is interested.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts

this is sick. both sides of this! i still have an extra copy if anyone is interested.

on 45?

on 45?

yes on 45. did they have an lp or 12?

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    LP

and yep, I have a crooked thumb

are the rest of the tracks like the 45? if so... id like to cop that!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Is his LP Jump Back Jack any good? Breaks? School me please. all aussie breaks that i have are on the man coda lp

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Is his LP Jump Back Jack any good? Breaks? School me please. all aussie breaks that i have are on the man coda lp

The Jump Back Jack shit is poo.

The Beramaida album is sick. About $100 still, findable...

peace.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

The Jump Back Jack shit is poo.

The Beramaida album is sick. About $100 still, findable...

peace.

thanks b*v*n!

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Quick question since I'm sure the cats reading this thread got the knowledge:
    Are there any good vibraphone-led albums or songs from Down Under?
    Jazz, Jazz Rock, Latin, whatever. Somebody mentioned there were a few a while back and I never followed up on it.

Jazz, Jazz Rock, Latin, whatever. Somebody mentioned there were a few a while back and I never followed up on it.

Yes, you want to check these albums;

Alan Lee - Self Titled (East Records)
    Alan Lee - The Smilor (Jazznote)
    John Sangster - The Joker Is Wild (FESTIVAL)
    John Sangster - Ahead of Hair (FESTIVAL)
    John Sangster - Landscapes Of Middle Earth (EMI)

and more... as you can tell, Alan Lee and John Sangster were and still are the masters of the vibes out here...

peace.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Anyone from the Down Under got a Quincy Conserve LP for me?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

Yes, you want to check these albums;

Alan Lee - Self Titled (East Records)
    Alan Lee - The Smilor (Jazznote)
    John Sangster - The Joker Is Wild (FESTIVAL)
    John Sangster - Ahead of Hair (FESTIVAL)
    John Sangster - Landscapes Of Middle Earth (EMI)

and more... as you can tell, Alan Lee and John Sangster were and still are the masters of the vibes out here...

peace.

Yup, think that's the names I couldn't recall. You're the mango.

They are from New Zealand... You want the Epitaph LP right?

peace.

• Anyone from the Down Under got a Quincy Conserve LP for me?

I**n's probabaly after 'Tasteful' cause thats how he mixes his records

siriusly tho, they're thin on the ground, I did a thread on them for the last record day - peep it here - I can re-up the zip file if you like.

peace.

I reckon Epitaph is their best album. The self-titled one on Ode ain't bad either though!

I got a spare Epitaph LP.

• magromanmagroman 88 Posts

Bevan's right...Alan Lee is the man....

The Album "The Smilor" is probably the best with vibes one...There is a track on it "Flying Saucer" that is a GREAT jazz dance number. It was on the Ubiquity comp in the mid ninties..(heading in the right direction)

I had a 60's deagan VIBRAPHONE in my store for a year or two. Alan Lee heard about it and came racing in one day and he flew straight for the Vibes!!! Man watching an 80 year old cat run to a vibraphone and pick up the mallets was GOLD!!
    He still buys rekkids!!

He said he would have bought it but he already had two of the Deagan!!

John Sangsters "head of Hair" is one of the best Hair lps!!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

I**n's probabaly after 'Tasteful' cause thats how he mixes his records

Aww shit, giving me too much credit... don't know that one, only heard Epitaph

Would love to hear it if you think it's something I'd dig. I was after "All Right in the City" for my upcoming international psych/funk mix CD.