2005 futures, anybody tempted?

AserAser 2,351 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
If you clicked on this, then you probably know what it's all about. If not, and you're interested, then read this.I know the prices are exorbitant, especially for the 1st growths. The "vintage of the century" tagline is perhaps reaching? None of us know as none of us are insiders that have access to barrel tasting. The hype this year has been incredible though, and I didn't think they could duplicate the hype of the 2000. Wines have been lauded across the range, from cheap to pricey.Have any of you bought futures before? I am interested in throwing down this year, trying to round up a few people to divy up the goods. Planning to stick to wines w/i the $100 range, and perhaps splurge on one special bottle (haut brion or pavie).I'm looking at Chan's direction and perhaps any insider discussion w/ your boy Asimov, hehe.

Comments

• I'm a dumbass and bought some futures , mostly 3rd-5th growth stuff from Margaux in the $30-50 range, plus some Pontet Canet. I'm thinking of splurging on Troplong Mondot or Larcis Ducasse, the Right Bank is supposed to be off the hook, but also ridiculous $$$$.

You should check out the forums at Parkers site, lots of good info and tips, if you can jump on them quick enough.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    yes I have troplong mondot on my list, others are......

branaire ducru
    Malescot St-Exup??ry
    certan de may
    leoville barton
    bahans haut brion
    Smith Haut Lafitte
    branon

more recommendations welcomed.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    What up hommie! I will talk to Mr. Asimov as this is a great question. I rarely buy futures as I like to drink everything NOW and do not have much patience. Luckily there are still some SERIOUS bottles in my Mom's wine cellar that we break out for special occasions. We had two bottles of 1975 Ch??teau Lafite Rothschild with a roast leg of lamb last month for dinner at Mom's place while my bother and his wife were visiting. Pulled them right out of the cellar and said we may as well have these now and enjoy them! They were SO INCREDIBLE that I have thought of buying a couple bottles of 05 Lafite Rothschild and putting them to rest in the cellar for a future special dinner. While my brother and I were digging around in the wine cellar that night to get the Lafite Rothschild, we found two bottles of early 70s Ch??teau Mouton Rothschild that we did not even know were down there! SCORE!!!!!!!!!! One of them was the 73 with the Picasso label!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH SNAP! I don't keep any serious bottles at my place as I would drink them all! LOL.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    dude, that is beyond any bean dip find, let me tell you that.

When I visited my pops in HK, he was flossing his 1990 magnum of lafite-rothschild. I gave him the corresponding face melt.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

When I visited my pops in HK, he was flossing his 1990 magnum of lafite-rothschild. I gave him the corresponding face melt.

Your dad is that dude! When do we get to go to HK and kick it with him? Maybe tonight I will post a picture and tell a serious story of how we had a 2 day long dinner party and drank an IMPERIAL of 1986 Ch??teau Lafite Rothschild.

• When I visited my pops in HK, he was flossing his 1990 magnum of lafite-rothschild. I gave him the corresponding face melt.

Your dad is that dude! When do we get to go to HK and kick it with him? Maybe tonight I will post a picture and tell a serious story of how we had a 2 day long dinner party and drank an IMPERIAL of 1986 Ch??teau Lafite Rothschild.

Damn, there should be a Soulstrut BYOB, with corresponding raers for the soundtrack of course!

• Like Chan said, I don't really have the patience for Bordeaux wines, plus I already spent too much money on some nice 05 CA pinots that should be shipping at the end of this month.

I'd be interested in seeing what you buy.

• Like Chan said, I don't really have the patience for Bordeaux wines, plus I already spent too much money on some nice 05 CA pinots that should be shipping at the end of this month.

What Pinots did you get? Any Kosta Browne?

Yes, Kosta Browne -- 6 pinots (3 of each -- that's all I was offered), plus a couple of the syrahs and 4 roses (which I had last year and were perfect for summer swank).

Also got some MacPhail, which I'm really looking forward to also.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

I went on a tasting mission along the Russian River a few weeks ago (not just the Russian River Valley, but to the wineries along the river itself). To my tastes, the best value of the day was Arista's 2005 Russian River Pinot ($34) and their 2005 Longbow Pinot Noir ($45).

Also check for David Bruce's 2004 Russian River Pinot Noir ($40). Good for the price. I bought a nice Pinot from Nickel & Nickel as well -- a Russian River from 2005, I believe.

For Bordeaux, I look at futures prices out of curiosity, but I don't really want to store a lot of wine. Plus, I'm narrowing my real focus to California, since that's where I live. Don't get me wrong -- I appreciate the Old World, but I'm trying to gain expertise in the Golden State.

Yes, Kosta Browne -- 6 pinots (3 of each -- that's all I was offered), plus a couple of the syrahs and 4 roses (which I had last year and were perfect for summer swank).

Also got some MacPhail, which I'm really looking forward to also.

DOPE! When did you get on The List for KB? I'm still on the waiting list and didn't even get anything from my wish list submission.

Any of those 6 for trade/sale?