Going to Chicago.

CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
Headed to Chicago on Wednesday for a conference. I will be staying right downtown in the loop. I remember folks talking about a record store opening up in the area. Has it opened yet? Where is it? Any can't miss bars and restaurants?

Comments

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Hey man if you end up near Wrigley check out the Goose Island Brew pub. Beer is not bad, the food is really good. I suggest their crispy wings.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Headed to Chicago on Wednesday for a conference. I will be staying right downtown in the loop. I remember folks talking about a record store opening up in the area. Has it opened yet? Where is it? Any can't miss bars and restaurants?

The wife and I enjoy Wishbone for breakfast. Just outside the loop... damn good breakfast. Always busy, but you never have to wait long to be seated. Reckless in the loop hasn't opened yet, but you can always venture to Jazz Record Mart if you need your fix. Come down to Hyde Park Records if you can! www.hydeparkrecords.net

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Is the Metra Eletric Line the best way to get to Hyde Park Records via public trans from the Loop?

Are there any nearby Green Line stops?

CousinLarry, what hotel are you staying? When was the last time you came to Chicago?

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Thought I was in the loop but just checked and I am actually at the Sheraton Chicago Hotel on East North Water Street. We wont have a car and it looks like its going to rain all week, but I am still going to get out and see some stuff. Last time I was in Chicago was 7 years ago for my sisters wedding, but it was outside of the city and kind of sucked. Didn't really get to see anything. What should I be sure to check out in that area.

Thanks for the recommendations so far.

You'll be like a block away from the Jazz Record Mart, which is around 400 N. Wabash Ave. (on the lower part of the street), so you'll definitely have to check that out.

You'll be like a block away from the Jazz Record Mart, which is around 400 N. Wabash Ave. (on the lower part of the street), so you'll definitely have to check that out.

Yes, thanks

If you're looking to check out some trim, there's a very swanky bowling alley called 10 Pin that is right next to the House of Blues right by your hotel. Not a bad spot to grab a drink and see some eye candy...

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Hey man if you end up near Wrigley check out the Goose Island Brew pub. Beer is not bad, the food is really good. I suggest their crispy wings.

Goose Island if definitely a good look. there's another location on Clybourn just a north of North Avenue, if the Wrigley one is too far away.

(bonus factoid: my wife used to work there and, because she can sew, was often given the duty of manufacturing little santa hats or leprechaun hats to go on the top of those goose tap handles at the holidays.)

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

(bonus factoid: my wife used to work there and, because she can sew, was often given the duty of manufacturing little santa hats or leprechaun hats to go on the top of those goose tap handles at the holidays.)

Haha that's what's up man. Good food in there, i was in town a few weeks ago right when that ice/snow storm came. I really like that city.

Any jazz clubs I should check for?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    http://www.velvetlounge.net/

also the jazz showcase which relocated recently and i dont know where.

Have you been to the new Velvet, Deej? I've been meaning to check it.

You can't go wrong with the Green Mill, which is open super late and has live music every night. It's pretty far from the Loop though, probably a $15-plus cab ride.

Andy's is supposedly a nice spot for jazz. I've never been there but it's not too far from your hotel.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    nah i havent gone to the new locale yet, looking forward to making the trip sometime soon tho.

• tirefiretirefire 203 Posts
    Have you been to the new Velvet, Deej? I've been meaning to check it.

You can't go wrong with the Green Mill, which is open super late and has live music every night. It's pretty far from the Loop though, probably a $15-plus cab ride.

Andy's is supposedly a nice spot for jazz. I've never been there but it's not too far from your hotel.

I've had lunch at Andy's a couple times. They always have some guys blowing some pleasant jazzmosphere, but I don't think they ever have anyone that you would make a point to see.

Velvet lounge is always a good look, though I haven't been out to their new location yet.

And it's a hike, but I always like to rep the Old School Records in Forest Park (end of the blue line). Nicest staff around (gave me hot chocolate and schnapps on a cold day. who else would do that for a customer?), great dollar section 99% of the 45s are $0.50, and prices and selection on the rest of the stock is pretty decent for a small store.

• maswaxmaswax 22 Posts
    Is the Metra Eletric Line the best way to get to Hyde Park Records via public trans from the Loop?

Are there any nearby Green Line stops?

the best way to get to hyde park records from the loop is to catch the southbound #6 jackson express bus and get off at 53rd and walk a few blocks west. i believe you can catch the this bus about a block away from the sheraton on columbus and upper wacker dr. this trip is the fastest and usually takes me 15-20 minutes.

• maswaxmaswax 22 Posts

And it's a hike, but I always like to rep the Old School Records in Forest Park (end of the blue line). Nicest staff around (gave me hot chocolate and schnapps on a cold day. who else would do that for a customer?), great dollar section 99% of the 45s are $0.50, and prices and selection on the rest of the stock is pretty decent for a small store.

definitely worth the trip, i've gotten plenty of good shite here! just hop on the blue line anywhere in the loop going westbound to forest park and get off at the last stop(it should take like 20-25min). then walk about 4 blks north on desplaines ave and make a right on madison and walk 2 small blocks. store is right on the corner!

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    (gave me hot chocolate and schnapps on a cold day. who else would do that for a customer?),.

I would!

• Have you been to the new Velvet, Deej? I've been meaning to check it.

I've had lunch at Andy's a couple times. They always have some guys blowing some pleasant jazzmosphere, but I don't think they ever have anyone that you would make a point to see.

Velvet lounge is always a good look, though I haven't been out to their new location yet.