Thunderous Drumming (Idiris Muhammad-related)

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
I'm in the mood for some thunderous drumming. I got Grant Green's "Alive" and that's been getting some play lately. Are there any other records like this where the drums are really LOUD? I probably need me some Meters....

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Here's one I've been listening to a lot lately on the rock side of things. It's got some pretty thunderous drumming courtesy of Ian Wallace:

In fact, everything is loud on this record. Way crusty live recording from '72. The drums get even louder during his solo towards the end where it sounds like they are being fed though a ring modulator or some crazy shit.

Maybe some Can "Tago Mago"? Loud Liebezeit drums.
    Or some Jimi Hendrix pre-Reprise stuff? You know all that "Hush Now", "Love Love" stuff you can find on a zillion budget labels. Pretty loud drums on those recordings too.

Miles Davis "Rated X"

I know these suggestions are more on the aggro tip than Grant Green+Idris Muhammad, but I guess that just the mood I'm in right now.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    look into some Big Band from the mid 60s. There are some huge sounding drums that have a lot of "air" to them too- not as condensed as lot of the loud drums from later records. Good extended solos too. Maybe some Lionel Hamton or something.

Those Hugh Tracy African drum records and Eddie Lund Tahitian drum records are also very ill.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

and the answer....

• souldropsouldrop 40 Posts
    bill bruford-crimson